Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

58 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Also 4364 posts left to go.

and also I see @carguy86's name at the bottom as viewing!!!!

I have been posting too ;)

@terrytek so i might go buy a totaled 370z with a fully working engine and manual transmission on saturday. And im thinking about using the complete 370 rear suspension in the starlet and then make a metal widebody kit to cover the extra width.

It wont be AWD but im sure the car will still be a boat load of fun!

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

12 minutes ago, carguy86 said:

@terrytek so i might go buy a totaled 370z with a fully working engine and manual transmission on saturday. And im thinking about using the complete 370 rear suspension in the starlet and then make a metal widebody kit to cover the extra width.

Sounds kinda nutty.

11 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

You bought another Starlet?

No but i will buy one soon.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Need some opinions on this problem. Also, hold back the Ford jokes.

I have an '87 Mustang 5.0. I can watch my battery gauge go up and down with my RPM when I'm idling sometimes, and it'll get so low that the car will cut off if I don't tap the gas. I have already gotten a new battery and alternator and it still does it. What else should I do?

24 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Need some opinions on this problem. Also, hold back the Ford jokes.

I have an '87 Mustang 5.0. I can watch my battery gauge go up and down with my RPM when I'm idling sometimes, and it'll get so low that the car will cut off if I don't tap the gas. I have already gotten a new battery and alternator and it still does it. What else should I do?

It's a stab in the dark but the Voltage Regulator is what I would change if you've already done a battery and alternator. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

30 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

It's a stab in the dark but the Voltage Regulator is what I would change if you've already done a battery and alternator. 

Only about $30 for one too. Why not

@Real_PhillBert Looks like the alternator that I bought came with a new voltage regulator, so let's just say it's not the voltage regulator. What else do you think it could be, off the top of your head?

7 hours ago, carguy86 said:

definitely do it. i'm not sure 1980s suspension will hold up to all the forces a 370z motor will induce on such a small car.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Have a look at a Ford fiesta zetec s 1.0 140ps

Pretty good considering

37 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Only about $30 for one too. Why not

@Real_PhillBert Looks like the alternator that I bought came with a new voltage regulator, so let's just say it's not the voltage regulator. What else do you think it could be, off the top of your head?

Hmm. Those charging systems are really not that complicated, have you thrown a volt meter or multi-meter on across the battery terminals while it's running?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Hmm. Those charging systems are really not that complicated, have you thrown a volt meter or multi-meter on across the battery terminals while it's running?

I haven't. I'm not car-savvy so most of the work going into the car has been from my dad since he used to build these things. I mainly know basic maintenance stuff.

I'll see what he thinks when I get off work. I'm just getting super disappointed that I shelled out almost $300 for a new battery and alternator and this problem didn't even change.

probably an electrics problem have a garage look

29 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I haven't. I'm not car-savvy so most of the work going into the car has been from my dad since he uses to build these things. I mainly know basic maintenance stuff.

I'll see what he thinks when I get off work. I'm just getting super disappointed that I shelled out almost $300 for a new battery and alternator and this problem didn't even change.

Dont feel too bad, years ago I put $1000 worth of new heads onto a ford Taurus only to learn that the deck was so warped that it still leaked coolant into the cylinders. 

Sent that baby to the scrap pile with a lot of brand new parts on it.

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Dont feel too bad, years ago I put $1000 worth of new heads onto a ford Taurus only to lean that the deck was so warped that it still leaked coolant into the cylinders. 

Sent that baby to the scrap pile with a lot of brand new parts on it.

I would cry. I mean I'm not hurting for money but still

17 hours ago, carguy86 said:

That is a really good point...

Or a Nissan V6 like maybe a stroked and bored vq37 with a supercharger?

Honda J series?

10 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

78838-200.png

I'm too lazy to even raise my hand... 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

32 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Not too lazy to work the clutch though

never too lazy for that, or driving to school 45 minutes each way 5 days a week.:P

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

@MEC-777

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Folding@Home | BOINC

4 hours ago, BH2062 said:

Have a look at a Ford fiesta zetec s 1.0 140ps

Pretty good considering

I find it crazy how small the average engine is on Europe. In my driveway alone combined theres 17L of displacement between 4 cars. 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

14 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I find it crazy how small the average engine is on Europe. In my driveway alone combined theres 17L of displacement between 4 cars. 

Because we dont need big 3 Litre V6s to make 200hp :P

Jk, fuel prices here are a lot more than over in the states, therefore smaller engines

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

16 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

If it wasn't for my neighbours impala i'd have the largest displacement engine in my entire neighborhood. And that's with a "puny" 3.8l engine

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

6 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Jk, fuel prices here are a lot more than over in the states, therefore smaller engines

My v6 is 3.8l's and only makes 199 xD The torque is at a nice 300nm's though. (When it was new. Will have lost a few) 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I have a 4.3L v6 that cranks out 180hp rated. /supposedly/ im getting 214 peak out of it but I'm not sure I bielieve my scangauge on that. Pretty accurate on everything else tho

my 3.0L v6 puts out a healthy 244HP and 212 torque.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Or in the case of our Impala. 3.6L for that power 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB