Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

9 minutes ago, vetali said:

I thought it was a law you had to have direct linkage between the wheel and the steering linkage. 

Apparently not.

Well I didn't get my question answered so I'll try one more time :(

Does anyone know how to wire in aftermarket head units? I got a new one for Christmas (some Pioneer unit with Bluetooth and stuff), but I don't know how to wire it in. Is there some sort of schematic I can follow for my particular car or anything? I found some aftermarket harness adapter as well but I'm not sure if it'll even work.

Does anyone know if I should worry about this "TPM Malfunction" thing that goes off in my Dad's BMW 530XI? He had it checked out at a BMW center, and I think he also had it replaced. It goes off randomly, and we think it's because of the cold. Should we bother even worrying about it? Please dumb down your answers (if any) cause I'm not a car guy. Thank!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

10 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Does anyone know how to wire in aftermarket head units? I got a new one for Christmas (some Pioneer unit with Bluetooth and stuff), but I don't know how to wire it in. Is there some sort of schematic I can follow for my particular car or anything? I found some aftermarket harness adapter as well but I'm not sure if it'll even work.

honestly for a car that old, you're not really likely able to find an aftermarket harness adapter for the stereo.

7 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

I've been having this issue sooo much, on and off, for about 3 months. The player is trying to load an add, and if you leave it  sitting for about 15 second to 30 seconds, the add will time out, and the video will play. :dry:

youtube is just piss for me overall.

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I've been having browser problems where YouTube with take the piss loading videos, not load videos, have constant buffering issues, not load comments, freeze loading an ad, etc.

And it's just Chrome because Edge and Firefox don't do that. The problem is I don't like Edge and Firefox.

for me, it just takes 45 minutes to load 5 seconds of a video in 720p60. and it takes about 5 minutes to load 5 seconds in fucking 144p. and 144p isn't even fucking watchable youtube, why the fuck is it there in the first place?

1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

Been having the same issue lately. YT videos just won't play at all. I close and re-open chrome, nope. Restart the PC, nope. The only thing that finally worked for me last night is clearing browser history and cookies. Instantly started working again.

wow, and i thought i was the only one with this issue. i've been having this issue since friday when i got off school for break. this is just super duper annoying.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

honestly for a car that old, you're not really likely able to find an aftermarket harness adapter for the stereo.

youtube is just piss for me overall.

for me, it just takes 45 minutes to load 5 seconds of a video in 720p60. and it takes about 5 minutes to load 5 seconds in fucking 144p. and 144p isn't even fucking watchable youtube, why the fuck is it there in the first place?

wow, and i thought i was the only one with this issue. i've been having this issue since friday when i got off school for break. this is just super duper annoying.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701398/Metra-70-1398-Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html?tp=2977

Just now, terrytek said:

To listen to the audio from say a podcast without burning through a lot of data.

2 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

they provided a pdf manual too you know. http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20111030154300/Manuals/120/120701398.PDF i think you just connect the wires from the harness straight to the cables from the car.

i'm no car audio expert, so don't take my advice, just follow the pdf see if it answers your question.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

To listen to the audio from say a podcast without burning through a lot of data.

yeah, but it's pointless on videos of any kind where there's motion. there is just no point to it. i just hate how youtube automatically defaults to it when my internet goes kaput. i wish i can change the default playback quality.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

33 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

15 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

if that works, then go for it. Just keep in mind that the speakers aren't the greatest, and replacements that fit OEM are nearly impossible.

could I get a pic of the center console? just curious if it's any different than my dad's 87. ;)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

12 minutes ago, terrytek said:

they provided a pdf manual too you know. http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20111030154300/Manuals/120/120701398.PDF i think you just connect the wires from the harness straight to the cables from the car.

i'm no car audio expert, so don't take my advice, just follow the pdf see if it answers your question.

yeah, but it's pointless on videos of any kind where there's motion. there is just no point to it. i just hate how youtube automatically defaults to it when my internet goes kaput. i wish i can change the default playback quality.

I actually found a guide online telling me what all the wires in my car are for. So I wrote all that down and once I get my headunit opened up Saturday night I'll look in the manual for the wire guide and match 'em up. Then I'll splice and solder them together and heatshrink it all nice.

I will probably fabricate a head unit mount as well.

Also got a nice Mishimoto shift knob :D Super stoked on that :)

1 minute ago, FuzzyYellow said:

if that works, then go for it. Just keep in mind that the speakers aren't the greatest, and replacements that fit OEM are nearly impossible.

could I get a pic of the center console? just curious if it's any different than my dad's 87. ;)

Yeah, I'll take some pics later on. Mine is a bit messy right now though, but I will be cleaning up all the wires and stuff once I install the new receiver.

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Did you lose 4k playback in YT like I have? It only goes up to 1440p for me now.

Pffft, my internet speed isn't good enough to stream 1080p even. It will do 720p/60fps on a good day. :P 

For me YT playback just didn't work at all (regardless of the playback quality). It just showed black and if you hit play/pause or refresh the page, nothing happens. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

2 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Guess who's back, back again

TayTay's back, tell a friend

I wanted to post this last night but I was in bed on my phone and the link wouldn't have worked

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

44 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

YouTube is always the answer

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 minute ago, MEC-777 said:

Pffft, my internet speed isn't good enough to stream 1080p even. It will do 720p/60fps on a good day. :P 

For me YT playback just didn't work at all (regardless of the playback quality). It just showed black and if you hit play/pause or refresh the page, nothing happens. 

wow, it sounds like you got similar internet speeds as me. it's nearly impossible to load 1080p, but it can do 720p60 fine.

and it seems youtube has been real sucky lately. i always thought it was just me experiencing these issues, but seeing my fellow thread members have issues too, i'm starting to think it's a problem on youtube's end.

14 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

DSC_0046.jpg

Yeah, not really sure what goes in that bottom area. It's just open with a bunch or wire nuts and stuff. I will probably make a cover that goes there, or maybe it's for a cup holder thing?

I also need to change the R12 fittings to R134a so I can put some new refrigerant in. The A/C works but it doesn't blow cold. But I hear that all I need to do is evacuate the old refrigerant and then change the fittings and put some new stuff in there. I'll probably check over the rest of the A/C system as well but it looks alright so far.

3 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Yeah, not really sure what goes in that bottom area. It's just open with a bunch or wire nuts and stuff. I will probably make a cover that goes there, or maybe it's for a cup holder thing?

I also need to change the R12 fittings to R134a so I can put some new refrigerant in. The A/C works but it doesn't blow cold. But I hear that all I need to do is evacuate the old refrigerant and then change the fittings and put some new stuff in there. I'll probably check over the rest of the A/C system as well but it looks alright so far.

i say you find cupholders for that little gaping hole. i mean, they are pretty essential to a car. driving a stick and drinking coffee don't mix. i suggest either find some oem cupholders or create your own.

12 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Guess who's back, back again

TayTay's back, tell a friend

damn, that is one clean ass 240sx. as much as i love the sr20det, i would have liked them to swap something a bit more potent, like a 2jz or an rb.

7 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

DSC_0046.jpg

there's generally a little storage cubby below that I believe. 

or that's an aftermarket system. my dad's looked like this with a double din unit.

20a4eb26126429eb7598b01ffc0000cd.jpg

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

5 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i say you find cupholders for that little gaping hole. i mean, they are pretty essential to a car. driving a stick and drinking coffee don't mix. i suggest either find some oem cupholders or create your own.

damn, that is one clean ass 240sx. as much as i love the sr20det, i would have liked them to swap something a bit more potent, like a 2jz or an rb.

The 180SX already had the SR when they got it 4 years ago

Really wish they would have done a better quality job plastidipping the E36. It looked sooooo nice

:x:x:x

25 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

welp

24 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I wanted to post this last night but I was in bed on my phone and the link wouldn't have worked

:P

13 minutes ago, terrytek said:

It is, now that they rebuilt it xD

And, why would you waste so much money on a drift car? It's not like you need tons of power to slide...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

23 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

yeah, i want an lsd for my protege, but holy shit, a grand for an lsd costs half as much as the value of the car. sheesh. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quaife-ATB-Helical-LSD-Differential-QDF6F-2002-2003-Mazda-Protege5-2-0L-/190771849159

@bcredeur97 wash test! No soap, just a high pressure wash with hot water. Theres still a bit of surface grime but the paint still beads off water and most of the winter rash is gone. Initially it took a few passes to really cut through the dirt and whatnot, but the whole process was relatively easy. The wheels, which were coated in just regular auto shampoo, were also remarkably clean.

I'll probably wash it again in 2 weeks time to get a better idea of the state of the 845, but so far so good. 

wash test.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB