Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

Also it's gonna be almost 80F here on Christmas Day LOL

dafuq?  even over here, the high is only like 49 here with a low of 34, in california, where winters aren't as crazy as the rest of america.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

dafuq?  even over here, the high is only like 49 here with a low of 34, in california, where winters aren't as crazy as the rest of america.

And let's not forget it was 30F yesterday with a wind chill of 19... Our weather is so stupid, one day your in shorts and a t shirt and the next day your bundled up preparing for Arctic conditions 

image.png

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Also, at stock height it was plowing snow getting in and out of the yard. (without the Aero lip I want) So... When I lower the Saab the Mercury will definitely be getting more winter use. AWD slides? Hells yes

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

13 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

It's actually not legal, the guy is basically going "Yeah this is for fun but if you get arrested for doing illegal things that's on you."

After the small burnout I did in the yard getting the Saab out. I want to do a real fat one. The struggle. But I still wanna slam it and make it kinda quick. Money money money

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

So for $250 I can pick up a set of lowering springs, is it a good idea to do just springs for now, and do struts down the line? I'm worried that if I only upgrade my springs it may be slightly bouncy with the stock struts. Anyone have any advice?

Here's the springs I'm looking at, should I just buy these, and not install until I can afford to buy struts also? That could work

http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/bglosp19sa951.html

9 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

So for $250 I can pick up a set of lowering springs, is it a good idea to do just springs for now, and do struts down the line? I'm worried that if I only upgrade my springs it may be slightly bouncy with the stock struts. Anyone have any advice?

Here's the springs I'm looking at, should I just buy these, and not install until I can afford to buy struts also? That could work

Why spend money when you can just cut your springs? :ph34r:

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Because this car is actually nice and I want to keep it that way

Just now, RevoltTrain said:

Because this car is actually nice and I want to keep it that way

Well that's no fun. :P Which leads me to question, would even Roadkill ever run cut springs?

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

It's all fun and games until you take a corner and the spring actually lifts up off its perch lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Well that's no fun. :P Which leads me to question, would even Roadkill ever run cut springs?

Idk, I wouldn't even cut springs

Just go full hockey pucks on a shit car

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

It's all fun and games until you take a corner and the spring actually lifts up off its perch lol

"Wow my car is stanced and rides like a 60's Cadillac all of a sudden"

My thing is my struts were replaced just a few years ago, so I honestly really want to just buy springs, and run them until my struts go and then replace the struts as well. 

But I found a wagon specific kit of lowering springs that will drop the car 1.6" all around, that with some wheels that will be an inch bigger, and some smaller sidewall tires. It's gonna look really nice I think

Wheels, tires, and suspension are gonna cost me about $1400 USD. I might just ask for springs for my birthday next year xD

40 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Well, how correct do you want to be? If you just buy shorter springs they are likely to be stiffer to accommodate the shorter travel distance. Which in itself is all fine and dandy until you consider the dampers. 

The formula for damping rate is 

C = Z*2(sqrt(mk))

C = Damping rate; 

Z = Damping ratio Z > 1 is overdamped, Z < 1 is under damped, Z = 1 is critically damped. 

m = unsprung mass of that corner

k = Spring rate

Usually cars are designed with a damping ratio ~.5, but ideally you want to be critically damped, which would be a damping ratio of 1, but this is not commonly done with street cars for the sake of ride quality. 

If you're really serious about it you should look for dampers that have a proper Damping rate with a damping ratio of ~.75

Of coarse this all takes some effort to get the proper info, and likely a set of custom valved dampers to really get right, which of course is going to cost more than $250... So yeah. I bought a couple sets of custom valved dampers for my Formula Cars back in college, I wanna say they were ~$1700-2000 for the set. 

I just kinda wanted to share a bit of math :P

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Well, how correct do you want to be? If you just buy shorter springs they are likely to be stiffer to accommodate the shorter travel distance. Which in itself is all fine and dandy until you consider the dampers. 

C = Z*2(sqrt(mk))

C = Damping rate; 

Z = Damping ratio Z > 1 is overdamped, Z < 1 is under damped, Z = 1 is critically damped. 

k = Spring rate

Usually cars are designed with a damping ratio ~.5, but ideally you want to be critically damped, which would be a damping ratio of 1, but this is not commonly done with street cars for the sake of ride quality. 

If you're really serious about it you should look for dampers that have a proper Damping rate with a damping ratio of ~.75

Of coarse this all takes some effort to get the proper info, and likely a set of custom valved dampers to really get right, which of course is going to cost more than $250... So yeah. I bought a couple sets of custom valved dampers for my Formula Cars back in college, I wanna say they were ~$1700-2000 for the set. 

The thing is, I posted it a little after that first post, the struts in the car are OEM spec, but only a couple years old, so I think the springs I posted may treat me pretty good for a while, especially them being designed for the extra weight of the wagon will help a bit I'd imagine. I'm just worried about it being underdampened and therefore too bouncy

4 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

The thing is, I posted it a little after that first post, the struts in the car are OEM spec, but only a couple years old, so I think the springs I posted may treat me pretty good for a while, especially them being designed for the extra weight of the wagon will help a bit I'd imagine. I'm just worried about it being underdampened and therefore too bouncy

I completely hear what you're saying. 

The issue is that you're already going to be under damped, and increasing the spring rate (stiffer shorter springs) will certainly increase the amount you will be under damped by. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I completely hear what you're saying. 

The issue is that you're already going to be under damped, and increasing the spring rate (stiffer shorter springs) will certainly increase the amount you will be under damped by. 

I think I may go for it with just the springs, see how it feels on the local roads, and then that day either go ahead and order struts, or if I'm okay with it leave it as be.

To be fair I'm used to driving some kinda shitty cars. I mean my old roomate's S10 the rear suspension was completely blown and the rear would bounce and I got used to it

(You could stand in the bed, and jump and get the back tires to pickup off the ground)

So if the bounce is tolerable to the point where it doesn't make it dangerous, maybe just run springs until I have some more income

14 hours ago, OleST said:

That sounds way more epic than it is....

V6 Accords are epic ;) 

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

LED all of the things

40 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

C = Z*2(sqrt(mk))

C = Damping rate; 

k = Spring rate

@MEC-777 likes a good round of suspension maths as well, don't leave him out!

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

If I could I'd buy Raceland coilovers and call it a day, but they sadly don't make coilovers for my car. They make them for 9-3s and another model, so it's possible they may offer them someday, I contacted them to see if that was ever planned. But I doubt it. Can't hurt to attempt to contact them though

58 minutes ago, iHardware Shelden said:

V6 Accords are epic ;) 

Low standards are great. :P