Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

10 minutes ago, terrytek said:

damn, kinda sucks how expensive cars have gotten these days. i mean even a toyota tacoma, which are normally utilitarian trucks, if i wanted to build one the way i wanted it in 4x4 limited double cab trim, would cost almost 45 grand.  http://www.toyota.com/configurator/#!/build/step/summary/year/2017/series/tacoma/model/7582/exteriorcolor/03R3/interiorcolor/LA42/packages/option67/accessories/R2-DIO25-D4-8Q-M1-7R-DIO20-MF-DIO26-DIO40-37-TG 

at that point i would have bought like a used e60 or even a cheap mercedes s63 or if i try hard enough, s65

As far as prices go. If you account for inflation a fully specced out Toyota Tacoma in the 90s would be around 40k. So the prices haven't gone up that high in the last 20 years. Especially if you consider that the cost of manufacturing has gone up and the advancements in safety and luxury have increased dramatically.  It may seem as if it has gone up a lot but that is just inflation being a bitch 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

1 minute ago, Maybach123 said:

As far as prices go. If you account for inflation a fully specced out Toyota Tacoma in the 90s would be around 40k. So the prices haven't gone up that high in the last 20 years. Especially if you consider that the cost of manufacturing has gone up and the advancements in safety and luxury have increased dramatically.  It may seem as if it has gone up a lot but that is just inflation being a bitch 

wow, so it seems like inflation is our biggest enemy here? so basically our money is starting to lose value, and you'll need more to get more features? ugh.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

22 minutes ago, techswede said:

As an aspiring novelist

Kidding. Looking forward to reading it.

EjjGPbr.gif

85337262a0.png

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

8 minutes ago, terrytek said:

wow, so it seems like inflation is our biggest enemy here? so basically our money is starting to lose value, and you'll need more to get more features? ugh.

Our money fluctuates. It is actually starting to go back up a bit. It is more that our perceptions are skewed, most of us never dealt with earning money in the 80s or 90s. 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

22 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

Our money fluctuates. It is actually starting to go back up a bit. It is more that our perceptions are skewed, most of us never dealt with earning money in the 80s or 90s. 

yeah, that's why i won't be buying brand new for a while. why pay for a 60 grand toyota sequoia brand new when you can buy something from mercedes a couple years older for less money and more comfort?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

13 minutes ago, terrytek said:

yeah, that's why i won't be buying brand new for a while. why pay for a 60 grand toyota sequoia brand new when you can buy something from mercedes a couple years older for less money and more comfort?

I agree if I was to buy new I probably would only buy something that I am sure will hold its value reasonably well. 

23 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Let me remind you my dad bought his A6 over a G37. Two completely different levels of car, nearly same price. 

And the newer A6's with the 3.0L V6 (and the traditional auto -- not CVT (Which means quattro only in this situation)) seemed to be reliable based on lots of reviews and forums and stuff so he just went for it. Found a cheap one that was several thousand below cost, had to fix one expensive thing (that was why it was so cheap) and now it's perfect. Though he also bought an extended warranty (another thing that makes new cars a moot point... People buy them for warranty but you can just buy an extended warranty for a used car..) 

funny thing is the third party warranty doesn't check anything. He can put a giant turbo on his car and if the motor blows it's covered. They just won't cover the giant turbo for obvious reasons. That's another reason he was strongly considering the tune... 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

50 minutes ago, vetali said:

-snip-

85337262a0.png

the largest paper I ever wrote was around 3000 words. It was terrible because it was for school and by the middle of it I was bored out of my mind and just wanted it to be over with haha. still got a B though lol (I dont even remember what it was about... i think some philosophical thing about computers. yeah I had to take a class on that... 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Hey I am getting my dad's old 2010 Black Lincoln Mkz when I turn 16 soon enough my only complaint is that it gets REALLY hot but that's nothing a shade can't handle... Texas man

Build Name:

Anton

CPU: I7 4790K

GPU: ZOTAC RTX 2060 SUPER AMP EXTREME

RAM: 16GB 1600MHZ

MOBO: MSI H81M-E33

CASE: COOLER MASTER N300

PSU: THERMALTAKE 600 WATT

STORAGE: TOTAL 6.5TB, 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO BOOT DRIVE, 2TB HDD 1, 2TB HDD 2, 2TB WESTERN DIGITAL USB 3.0 BACKUP DRIVE

- CRACK!

10 minutes ago, Savageiste said:

Hey I am getting my dad's old 2010 Black Lincoln Mkz when I turn 16 soon enough my only complaint is that it gets REALLY hot but that's nothing a shade can't handle... Texas man

it's a 2010 lincoln and it doesn't have A/C ?

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

it's a 2010 lincoln and it doesn't have A/C ?

No it does I am talking about it being parked our garage doesn't have the space for it

Build Name:

Anton

CPU: I7 4790K

GPU: ZOTAC RTX 2060 SUPER AMP EXTREME

RAM: 16GB 1600MHZ

MOBO: MSI H81M-E33

CASE: COOLER MASTER N300

PSU: THERMALTAKE 600 WATT

STORAGE: TOTAL 6.5TB, 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO BOOT DRIVE, 2TB HDD 1, 2TB HDD 2, 2TB WESTERN DIGITAL USB 3.0 BACKUP DRIVE

- CRACK!

6 minutes ago, Savageiste said:

No it does I am talking about it being parked our garage doesn't have the space for it

ohhh. well lol I park a miata outside of the garage a lot... I know the pain. (I should really get one of those cover things for it that covers just the soft top and windows while it's parked)

Spoiler

11 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Do you live in a fortress or something like that? Damn. xD

I wish, that'd be awesome. :D

5 hours ago, Strando123 said:

Dad lives in a crater, he would get fucked if a flood hit.

That suuuuuuuucks.

21 minutes ago, Savageiste said:

I loved ours, the cooled seats were fantastic! Though we got it in white with with the beige interior. Why? Texas. :P

8 hours ago, vetali said:

85337262a0.png

ACaPqvK.png

tumblr_lmmuj0fXdo1qh2mpqo1_400.gif

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Starting to move on monday. 

Went down to have a look today and met the current tenant

She thought she had until the end of the month it turns out. But we came to an agreement and now i can finally get shit done.

It looks like i'll be able to fit the camaro in the garage without any trouble. And have room to spare.

My drill press is still there and in good shape. 

Someone has stolen the damn lawn mower though.. 

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 minute ago, techswede said:

Starting to move on monday. 

Went down to have a look today and met the current tenant

She thought she had until the end of the month it turns out. But we came to an agreement and now i can finally get shit done.

It looks like i'll be able to fit the camaro in the garage without any trouble. And have room to spare.

My drill press is still there and in good shape. 

Someone has stolen the damn lawn mower though.. 

RIP lawnmower .... i hope its not @Strando123 doing a deathmower :P

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

16 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

RIP lawnmower .... i hope its not @Strando123 doing a deathmower :P

I thought strando fucked up a weed wacker?

It's been raining light-mediumish all night and the road is starting to retain water which means drainage isn't working properly anymore. 

So hopefully we don't get too much more rain but the radar disagrees.

image.png

We've gotten over 20 inches now. Nuts.

Spoiler

53 minutes ago, techswede said:

I thought strando fucked up a weed wacker?

I have blown a couple lawnmowers too, shit can handle 7k rpm but not for long..... (i Have an ebay tachometer, it is just a wire you wrap around the spark plug wire, works but im not sure how acurate cause that 12hp briggs engine was screaming)

Ps: the more modern ohv engines make a nice "valve and piston reunion" clatter when they blow, the engine blows and then you hear "clatter clatter clatter" it sounds nice and you get a little fun out of a dying engine.

Psps: i only blow the engines that are utterly junk, never anything usable.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

@Strando123How did you fabricate the leaf spring front suspension for the gasser model your building.

I'm assuming it doesn't come stock that way.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

10 hours ago, terrytek said:

I don't think I would ever buy a new car unless I won the lottery and had millions and money didn't matter to me.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

56 minutes ago, RatedBlam said:

@Strando123How did you fabricate the leaf spring front suspension for the gasser model your building.

I'm assuming it doesn't come stock that way.

I used the rear suspension from a 1/24 Ford f100 (axle mounts are the ones that came with the gremlin)

Pics:

IMG_20160812_161036.jpg

(The hole is where the axle mount was suposed to be glued in but instead i flipped the axle mounts and glued them to the f100 leaf springs and glued in the springs and then glued the axle mounts to the closest part of the frame)

IMG_20160813_164804.jpg

IMG_20160813_164800.jpg

@RatedBlam added pictures

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

3 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

I used the rear suspension from a 1/24 Ford f100 (axle mounts are the ones that came with the gremlin)

Ah, so from another kit.

I've been wanting to do a car for some time now. Like a 70's camaro with the biggest and baddest v8 I can stuff there.

Too bad I suck at painting, and have never done a "custom" model kit.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

10 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

the largest paper I ever wrote was around 3000 words. It was terrible because it was for school and by the middle of it I was bored out of my mind and just wanted it to be over with haha. still got a B though lol (I dont even remember what it was about... i think some philosophical thing about computers. yeah I had to take a class on that... 

i had to write at least a 500 word essay for an ap english final. i ended up writing 5000 words. it expanded over 7 pages, being double spaced. it was the most boring paper i ever wrote. and i still managed to get a C+. what the hell.

Just now, RatedBlam said:

Ah, so from another kit.

I've been wanting to do a car for some time now. Like a 70's camaro with the biggest and baddest v8 I can stuff there.

Too bad I suck at painting, and have never done a "custom" model kit.

The nightmare for me is going to be cutting the entire front of the gremlin body off and making a flip front, i hate detailing engines cause i suck at it so i just bought a pre assembled one on ebay, coing to cut the headers off it and put on something that is more gasser styled. (Engine bay will recieved major mods to allow for this, most of the "side walls" will be cut out to open up the wheel arches for a better view of the engine when the nose is up)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server: