Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

@warmmilk they aren't joking when they say miatas have a flat torque curve lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

13 minutes ago, vetali said:

Honestly a compressor powered vacuum bleeder is a bit overkill. If you want vacuum, a good pump (mityvac) and a reservoir works really well.

I personally prefer pressure bleeders. They will do a complete flush. Just be sure to get the right attachment for your master cylinder. https://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-108-System-Bleeder/dp/B000TK9FE8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1471111018&sr=8-3&keywords=pressure+brake+bleeder

the mityvac doesn't need a compressor?  looks like it does, it has that air fitting on it...

I don't want a pressure bleeder cause I prefer vacuum, I like the idea of the fluid and air being pulled out better than being pushed in.

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

15 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Why do you need these? Just put a tube with a bottle on one end the other onto the bleeder and start pumping the break... Same result with less money spent

/EDIT

Well i had my first driving training with my bike,  it was harder than i thought... Well if i look at the bright side now i know that my brake fluid is still good. I literally heard the rear brake cooling down :D .

you kinda need 2 people for that, I don't always have a second person available...  and it seams like a vacuum would do a better job.

brake fluid has nothing to do with brake cooling... I'm not quite sure what you're hearing...

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@warmmilk they aren't joking when they say miatas have a flat torque curve lol

yeah, pretty good.  you should see the cammed 2.5L dyno's

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

8 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

you kinda need 2 people for that, I don't always have a second person available...  and it seams like a vacuum would do a better job.

brake fluid has nothing to do with brake cooling... I'm not quite sure what you're hearing...

yeah, pretty good.  you should see the cammed 2.5L dyno's

Not really, you yust need a trustworthy lifter and you are good to go :D . BTW you could just mod a cap of the brake fluid container and use compressed air to apply pressure ;) . Services are using the same trick, the only difference is that their machine uses brake fluid instead of compressed air.

" brake fluid has nothing to do with brake cooling... "

Its very easy, if your brake really hot and the brake fluid is not good(to much moisture in it) the pedal will "fall in".

" I'm not quite sure what you're hearing... "

Its that typical clacking  noise, for instance when  you stop your car and the exhaust is cooling down...

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

Not really, you yust need a trustworthy lifter and you are good to go :D . BTW you could just mod a cap of the brake fluid container and use compressed air to apply pressure ;) . Services are using the same trick, the only difference is that their machine uses brake fluid intead of compressed air.

" brake fluid has nothing to do with brake cooling... "

Its very easy, if your brake really hot and the brake fluid is not good(to much moisture in it) the pedal will "fall in".

" I'm not quite sure what you're hearing... "

Its that typical clacking  noise, for instance when  you stop your car and the exhaust is cooling down you hear the same clacking noise.

your brake fluid gets hot cause of all the other brake parts, having fresh fluid won't aide in cooling your rotors, pads, and calipers.. the new fluid will just deal with the heat better

33 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

your brake fluid gets hot cause of all the other brake parts, having fresh fluid won't aide in cooling your rotors, pads, and calipers.. the new fluid will just deal with the heat better

You misunderstood my post... Yes it doesn't help with cooling. But there is a bad side of the brake fluids used nowadays, they take up moisture from the air effectively lowering the fluids heat tolerance. In the worst case it can boil up and that means it cant do its job, it will act like when there is air in the system. This is what i was getting at...

(this part is for the driving training part of my previous post)

I had to use my rear brake and the gas at the same time so it was pretty hot when i was done with the specific task...

(My rear brake didn't died of course, its just a "funny" title :D .)

Edited by jagdtigger

8 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

You misunderstood my post... Yes it doesn't help with cooling. But there is a bad side of the brake fluids used nowadays, they take up moisture from the air effectively lowering the fluids heat tolerance. In the worst case it can boil up and that means it cant do its job, it will act like when there is air in the system. This is what i was getting at...

I had to use my rear brake and the gas at the same time so it was pretty hot when i was done with the specific task...

I'm even more confused now.. you had to use the gas and brake at the same time to bleed your brakes? why?  the car/motorcycle/whatever shouldn't even be on when bleeding brakes...

and yes, I know all about brake fluid absorbing water... thats why I'm looking for a bleeder to make this an easy task, so I can bleed before every track day...

11 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

I'm even more confused now.. you had to use the gas and brake at the same time to bleed your brakes? why?  the car/motorcycle/whatever shouldn't even be on when bleeding brakes...

and yes, I know all about brake fluid absorbing water... thats why I'm looking for a bleeder to make this an easy task, so I can bleed before every track day...

No no, that part was for this part of my original post:

56 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Well i had my first driving training with my bike,  it was harder than i thought... Well if i look at the bright side now i know that my brake fluid is still good. I literally heard the rear brake cooling down :D .

That is why it is separated with a blank line from the rest...

/EDIT

11 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

What? You dont need to bleed it that often, just change the brake fluid  every two years. Or when you notice that the brake lost its usual catch point, or its "soft".

Edited by jagdtigger

4 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Oh ok, we're on the same page now

4 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

Oh ok, we're on the same page now

Sorry about that, i edited it to make it clear that is a separate "topic". I will try to not make this mistake again...

wow, bmw's i division is going full electric now. yay or nay? http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a30373/bmws-i-lineup-going-full/ i say nay, because electric cars still somewhat have sucky range compared to hybrids and plus, they make no noise, so i can't embrace the future at all, because they can't make noise. if it can accurately recreate engine noises when accelerating, i can be a bit relieved.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

35 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

/EDIT

What? You dont need to bleed it that often, just change the brake fluid  every two years. Or when you notice that the brake lost its usual catch point, or its "soft".

Well not every track day, but every 2 years is nowhere near enough to handle track duty...  More realistically prolly closer to every 2-3 track days

11 minutes ago, terrytek said:

wow, bmw's i division is going full electric now. yay or nay? http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a30373/bmws-i-lineup-going-full/ i say nay, because electric cars still somewhat have sucky range compared to hybrids and plus, they make no noise, so i can't embrace the future at all, because they can't make noise. if it can accurately recreate engine noises when accelerating, i can be a bit relieved.

Well i say nay, reasons:

-high voltage

-brutally expensive

-short range

-battery lifespan is still too short(mainly because of the quick charging, interestingly i never seen any warning on them that they damaging the battery), and on top of all this they are expensive

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

Well i say nay, reasons:

-high voltage

-brutally expensive

-short range

-battery lifespan is still too short(mainly because of the quick charging, interestingly i never seen any warning on them that they damaging the battery), and on top of all this they are expensive

yes. if only there was a way to make a clean form of gasoline that is renewable, then ICE engines would be here to stay for a long time. i don't want the internal combustion engine to die off, because then cars would stop being fun at that point, plus, if you do end up keeping an IC car late into the future, it's gonna be hard to restore it and drive it around in a time period of electric cars.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

yes. if only there was a way to make a clean form of gasoline that is renewable, then ICE engines would be here to stay for a long time. i don't want the internal combustion engine to die off, because then cars would stop being fun at that point, plus, if you do end up keeping an IC car late into the future, it's gonna be hard to restore it and drive it around in a time period of electric cars.

Well buy an old mechanical injection type diesel, there will be always cooking oil :D .

11 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Well buy an old mechanical injection type diesel, there will be always cooking oil :D .

never much of a big fan of diesels. i like the screaming ability of small 4 bangers and small v6s and v8s.

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

never much of a big fan of diesels. i like the screaming ability of small 4 bangers and small v6s and v8s.

I agree with you on that one, gasoline engines are better in many thing. But these old diesel engines have a big advantage, they arent picky about the fuel. If its similar to diesel fuel they will work with it :D .

Just now, jagdtigger said:

I agree with you on that one, gasoline engines are better in many thing. But these old diesel engines have a big advantage, they arent picky about the fuel. If its similar to diesel fuel they will work with it :D .

yeah i wish there was a way i can make gasoline out of water. but i feel like it's like trying to get gold out of whatever. it won't work.

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

yeah i wish there was a way i can make gasoline out of water. but i feel like it's like trying to get gold out of whatever. it won't work.

Well you can make something similar from rotting fruit, but then you will feed that engine with your booze :D .

Did some calculating, i have spent almost 60$ (us) on my 1/24 scale gasser because im picky when it comes to parts. (Could have gotten away with just the 25$ that the kit cost if i had gone stock)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

24 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Eh. Lets convert all cars to nitrometh instead

maxresdefault-14-1024x576.jpg

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Hmm.. Just got a text. 

Might end up with a second cat after i move.

Hopefully this is the end of the weirdness surrounding the move..

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

18 minutes ago, techswede said:

Hmm.. Just got a text. 

ew cats

20 minutes ago, techswede said:

Hmm.. Just got a text. 

Pic of your current cat?

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600