Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

Handegg good sir. (I've never heard it called that. 10/10 LOL) I was refering more to the Duck games and how easy it is to start fights with the ammount of beer that can be injested.

Oh yeah, Autzen is a pretty despicable venue. Not really a fan of college football though. I watch some Huskies even though all my family is WSU fans. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

I don't watch any sportsball at all really. I just rember what happend during the Seahawks and ducks game a few years ago. Bad news bears. Do not want. 

I watch NFL and MLB. Basically any sport that Seattle has. 

I remember the chaos after the Seahawks won the NFCCG 3 years ago. People burning couches, lighting off fireworks and/or firearms. Was like, damn there is another game to play LOL. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

What do you think would be better between a scion TC and a Celica GT-S? Speed, handling, dailyability, looks,  everything. 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

2 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

What do you think would be better between a scion TC and a Celica GT-S? Speed, handling, dailyability, looks,  everything. 

Overall between the two I'd go with the TC if I could only get one car.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Just now, FuzzyYellow said:

Id take the Celica all day. I don't like the TC. At least not since so many people riced it like a Honda. 

That said, the Celica crowd usually isn't too much better but I can always respect a nice clean stock looking car that is legitimately quick.  I Love the 2ZZ too much as well haha. It's my favorite 4 cylinder from Toyota 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Whatever you get, just make sure it's a manual at the very least. Lol. None of those cars have automatics worth getting imo 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

tC, really like the styling of the first gen. Speed is meh. Handling is okay (not sure why it would be too different, I've done a clutch on both of them and the front end is nearly identically underneath). 

Oh clutches on them both suck, its not cheap either. 6 hours of labor or something. Gotta drop the cross member. 

Quick test to see if image uploading works on my phone now:

image.thumb.jpeg.a6fdb031b6b38d053855987

Ok sweet. The story behind this is I was changing my oil two days ago and found this, grease splattered everywhere on the right wheel area. I put that axle in two weeks ago and it already decided it doesn't like me. I couldn't find where the boot was broken though. (Well I didn't really feel like getting super dirty either so maybe I didn't look hard enough) but the boot felt empty of grease so I'm positive it came from there. 

Being aggravated at the mess, I decided to just let the axle fail on its own and utilize it's lifetime warranty when it fails (starts clicking) to bring it back to autozone for a new one. xD ever since I got that axle popper tool it made the job sooo easy. I'll change axles all day now lol

anyone know an approximate ETA of an axle failing because there isn't enough grease? I do 200-300 miles a week and autocross is in 46 days. 

Spoiler

Oh and I also learned that day that brake disc splash shields have a use! It's for when that happens so the grease doesn't get all over your disc and you lose brakes lol

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

Quick test to see if image uploading works on my phone now:

Ok sweet. The story behind this is I was changing my oil two days ago and found this, grease splattered everywhere on the right wheel area. I put that axle in two weeks ago and it already decided it doesn't like me. I couldn't find where the boot was broken though. (Well I didn't really feel like getting super dirty either so maybe I didn't look hard enough) but the boot felt empty of grease so I'm positive it came from there. 

Being aggravated at the mess, I decided to just let the axle fail on its own and utilize it's lifetime warranty when it fails (starts clicking) to bring it back to autozone for a new one. xD ever since I got that axle popper tool it made the job sooo easy. I'll change axles all day now lol

anyone know an approximate ETA of an axle failing because there isn't enough grease? I do 200-300 miles a week and autocross is in 46 days. 

It'll take a while for it to fail due to lack of grease. What will kill it is water and dust getting into it. 

See that happen a lot on reman axles. The clamps just aren't tight enough on the boots. You can get boot kits however they suck ass to replace and aren't worth it. They should honor a warranty if its puking grease though. They messed up.

1 minute ago, vetali said:

It'll take a while for it to fail due to lack of grease. What will kill it is water and dust getting into it. 

See that happen a lot on reman axles. The clamps just aren't tight enough on the boots. You can get boot kits however they suck ass to replace and aren't worth it. They should honor a warranty if its puking grease though. They messed up.

Well today since it was storming I was intentionally driving through the huge puddles at probably too high of speeds that no one should do through big puddles to get help clean up the mess. Half a roll of Paper towels only did so much lol. So I guess I'm already speeding up the process

ill try to get the warranty then when I can. Will have to find a store that has the part so I can just walk in and exchange so I don't have to wait for a shipment. Also do it on a weekend as I'm guessing I'll have to take my car apart first and bring it to them lol

Spoiler

The new website is really slow on my phone.  It's no slouch snapdragon 801

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

Well today since it was storming I was intentionally driving through the huge puddles at probably too high of speeds that no one should do through big puddles to get help clean up the mess. Half a roll of Paper towels only did so much lol. So I guess I'm already speeding up the process

ill try to get the warranty then when I can. Will have to find a store that has the part so I can just walk in and exchange so I don't have to wait for a shipment. Also do it on a weekend as I'm guessing I'll have to take my car apart first and bring it to them lol

Call and ask if they will honor it beforehand. Even show them the picture you took if you go in yourself. 

15 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

That's something I'm not looking forward to when I get the burban. Dealing with CV boots on everything. Might do a solid axel in the front just to avoid dealing with it.

Autozone axles are only $60 for me and come with a lifetime warranty so I figured it was worth it. Only took me 30 minutes to change one too with proper tools (axle popper and impact). So I'm cool with cv axles, don't even have to deal with the boots :D

(⌐■_■) 

Spoiler

Finally bought The Crew after wanting it since it originally came out. (Should only take half an hour to install)

Also this guy's videos are amazing:

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

8 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

That's something I'm not looking forward to when I get the burban. Dealing with CV boots on everything. Might do a solid axel in the front just to avoid dealing with it.

It might not be as bad as you think. Last week I had to help drop a bunch of the front drivetrain on a 2000 2500 Suburban; it wasn't that bad even outside with sub 0C temps. We needed to pull the passenger side axle/CV, but that only required unbolting the swaybar (I think that is what it would be called) to make enough space to yank out the CV/axle on that side.

Didn't even need to jack up the truck or pull off the wheel, everything was pretty accessible.

Fun fact: the parts that failed in the diff were "unsearchable" by the two GM dealers I called....for a 15 year old work truck wtf. I guess they want people to bring in trucks for repairs that cost more than the vehicle is worth. There is a special washer/spacer that rubs against a snap-ring in the locking assembly, my boss had to machine a new one because no one i talked to in the service departments could order one; what a load of BS!

Oh, and if you guys have a diff or transfer case without a magnetic drain plug, grab a neodymium magnet from an old dead HDD and stick it on the plug, works great! I wouldn't recommend trying it on the engine oil pan (can easily get hot enough for magnet to lose field), but on drivetrain plugs it will hold ferrous flakes against it really effectively!

3 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

Thoughts on this? 2005 Scion TC with 94k for $3500. Has a cracked windshield. 

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/5428295643.html

Doesnt look bad for $3500.

The clunk in the front end is more likely a ball joint, not a strut. Stuts usually dont "Clunk" when they go out, they just no longer dampen. I dont like that he claims a small crack in the bumper and the windshield but neglects to take photos of those.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

8 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

That's sounds like a bitch. Good thing they don't go bad too often. I believe that AutoZone carries a bunch of different drain plugs both magnetic and non magnetic. I've actually got one in my oil pan and there's one in my rear diff cover. Don't know about my trans though. Good info though. :)

Yeah autozone definitely carries all those magnet plugs for cheap, but my work is a half hour from the nearest parts store! When we need to get something done on a vehicle THAT day, sometimes a bit of creativity is in order :).

When looking for places to live 3 years back, I actually considered proximity to the nearest parts store. I ended up in a house just a mile from an AutoZone; not even a stoplight in the wayxD

2 hours ago, TheTiger said:

I would sell my daylie for this :x:x:x

$_72.JPG

Love the car, not big on the colour though. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

The cracks in the bumper is seen in one of the pictures. But it would be nice to see the windshield. 

I usually like to see detailed close up shots of stuff like that. Not a pic of the whole area with the damage taking up a relatively small amount of area. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

this is actually really nice. 2001 m5, so no auto headlights, and 86k on the odo, very low for a 2001. i could try to get the asking price a lot lower too. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5391540845.html

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

this is beautiful

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D