Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

5 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

So if you change it, can I call dibs on using it next?

i think i'll ignore the message and leave it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

i think i'll ignore the message and leave it.

I'm gonna save it for later. :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

If the cars are comparable the insurance is comparable. For example I looked at a 2014 FoST with 15k miles on it and the insurance was within a few bucks a year of the new car.

But the costs changes if you have a 200k mile version or a 0k mile version, did I get this right?

Over here you have the same insurance costs, they don't care if it has 200k or 0k on it.

1 minute ago, TheTiger said:

But the costs changes if you have a 200k mile version or a 0k mile version, did I get this right?

Over here you have the same insurance costs, they don't care if it has 200k or 0k on it.

Over here that is not necessarily the case. Your insurance rates are created by a combination of the value of the car, your risk factor, and your cars risk factor. 

Since a 200k mile car is going to be worth less than a 0 mile car, your insurance rates will be cheaper. But then again those two cars aren't very comparable. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

26 minutes ago, TheTiger said:

Well my statement at this point was not about new cars but about financing ;)

That goes hand and hand. Not everybody can afford to buy a 25k+ car outright, which is likely the average for a new entry level equipped car. Average yearly income in the US is ~50k. 

And your main point has been that you can't modify the cars... well not everyone modifies cars. Even if you do, its not the bank that will get angry unless you do something really stupid like stance it. Its the dealer with warranty work you have to deal with. And that effects both financed and non financed cars. Kinda humoring to watch what SubaruWRXFan is going through because of that. Don't modify cars under warranty. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

10 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Apparently I have burnt out tag light. :/

Easy fix.

You didn't get a ticket did you?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

10 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Mine are dim as bork. And I checked them once, they were pretty corroded. I will change both of them when one of them goes bad :D

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

No I didn't. Just noticed it while I was putting my headlight back in. Was making sure all the bulbs still worked and decided to check the ones in the back too.

It's always a good idea to check all of your lights every so often. Some cars will tell you if any light at all have gone bad, other won't say a thing.

I like to make a self-check about once a month.

25 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

So do I, but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

3 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/5386456680.html

Thoughts on this? I figure it would be a good deal if they would go down to 3000-3300.

That doesnt look too bad. :)

I like that it's a manual. ;) But I admit I dont know a lot about Celicas. 

1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

My 2001 Golf with almost 300k on it is very comfortable. Most comfortable car I've ever own. More so than the wife's 2013 elantra. ;) 

It's also one of the most fun cars I've ever owned. 

you are seriously making me consider a GTI again... like a MK4 or MK5 with the 1.8T

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

you are seriously making me consider a GTI again... like a MK4 or MK5 with the 1.8T

Buy all the hot hatchs...

3 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/5386456680.html

Thoughts on this? I figure it would be a good deal if they would go down to 3000-3300.

needs work. But nice.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

27 minutes ago, vetali said:

That goes hand and hand. Not everybody can afford to buy a 25k+ car outright, which is likely the average for a new entry level equipped car. Average yearly income in the US is ~50k. 

And your main point has been that you can't modify the cars... well not everyone modifies cars. Even if you do, its not the bank that will get angry unless you do something really stupid like stance it. Its the dealer with warranty work you have to deal with. And that effects both financed and non financed cars. Kinda humoring to watch what SubaruWRXFan is going through because of that. Don't modify cars under warranty. 

Please read my posts before, I clearly stated why I prefer used cars over new cars ;)

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Wow, 2002 with 82K miles. Someone hardly drove it.

My 2002 focus had 185k. 

My car have only gone 51k miles. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Late 2001, E46 320i

Edit: I bought it a bit over half a year ago with 44k miles on it.

1 minute ago, GlassBomb said:

My car have only gone 51k miles. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Late 2001, E46 320i

Holy smokes. Dont you people have any place to go? 

/s

Seriously though, that's really nice. I drive about 15k a year, so even my new car will pass you soon enough. :(

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

so much nicer than my current car... even though its only an old mk4

That's pretty. I do love mk4 :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

needs work. But nice.

What do you mean?

13 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Buy all the hot hatchs...

technically, the Celica is a hatchback. :D

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

6 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Wow, 2002 with 82K miles. Someone hardly drove it.

My 2002 focus had 185k. 

someone on the corolla forum has a 2001 that he's owned since 2001 and only has 39K miles on it. xD No clue how he managed that.

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Holy smokes. Dont you people have any place to go? 

/s

Seriously though, that's really nice. I drive about 15k a year, so even my new car will pass you soon enough. :(

Living in a larger city means that pretty much everything is nearby. It's less than 15 minutes for me to get to most places I want to go to.

Cinema? 10 minutes. Store? 10 minutes. Core of the city? <20 minutes.

7 minutes ago, TheTiger said:

What do you consider as far away, if you drive somewhere (one way)?

For me over here everything above 250km is far away :D

I'd probably agree with that definition.

3 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Living in a larger city means that pretty much everything is nearby. It's less than 15 minutes for me to get to most places I want to go to.

Cinema? 10 minutes. Store? 10 minutes. Core of the city? <20 minutes.

I live close to everything, but I commute 50 miles each way to work, plus I often travel around a bit on the weekends.