Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

New photo of the finish for GTLM! 3000x2000h8NzWtO.jpg

Also new spectator footage

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

also if anybody knows the song to that tell me i like it it's catchy

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

24 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Doesnt look bad for $3500.

The clunk in the front end is more likely a ball joint, not a strut. Stuts usually dont "Clunk" when they go out, they just no longer dampen. I dont like that he claims a small crack in the bumper and the windshield but neglects to take photos of those.

Struts do clunk when the upper mount is going out. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

11 minutes ago, vetali said:

Struts do clunk when the upper mount is going out. 

that's true but that is the upper pivot bearing, not the actual strut. 

Schematics I guess.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

16 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

that's true but that is the upper pivot bearing, not the actual strut. 

Schematics I guess.

You still gotta compress the strut to replace it. May as well be doing struts anyway if you go that far lol. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

RIP they finally killed off Scion, and all models after 2016 will be rebadged as Toyotas.

djjn2xiquqw95lsq6pkn.gif

As part of the brand transition, beginning in August 2016, MY17 Scion vehicles will be rebadged as Toyotas. The FR-S sports car, iA sedan and iM 5-door hatchback will become part of the Toyota family. The tC sports coupe will have a final release series edition and end production in August 2016. The C-HR, which recently debuted at the L.A. Auto Show, will be a part of the Toyota line-up.

The service and repair process for Scion customers will be unaffected by this change as customers will continue to visit Toyota dealerships’ service departments.

http://jalopnik.com/scion-is-dead-all-cars-to-become-toyotas-instead-1756812671

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

1 minute ago, chaozbandit said:

RIP they finally killed off Scion, and all models after 2016 will be rebadged as Toyotas.

Only reason why they had them branded as Scion is only so that people in 'Murrica could say "No, it's not a Toyota! It's a Scion!".

Does this mean that the Scion-branded FRS' will become more rare?

4 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Good. The tC getting killed off is interesting, though the newer styling and design is awful. My guess is the 2nd gen toyobaru will be more like a tC this time around. 

5 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Only reason why they had them branded as Scion is only so that people in 'Murrica could say "No, it's not a Toyota! It's a Scion!".

Yep. In the US Toyota has a reputation for building very boring cars. So when Toyota wanted to build a line of cars focused toward a younger audience they had to get away from that reputation. Boom, Scion.

Now with the XRS that reputation is changing a bit, but I still think they might have more issues with that perception than they expect. 

Time will tell I guess. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

4 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Nah they did it to appeal to the ricers pretty much. The xB didn't sell well initially and the tC helped prolong the inevitable, as did the FRS. 

1 hour ago, chaozbandit said:

Also new spectator footage

That woman that screamed.. really?

43 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Very unlikely since the GT86 was produced 9x as much as the BRZ, and then a portion of that was rebadged as the FRS. If anything the platform is due for a refresh in which case Toyota would be in an ideal position in that they can streamline the cars and charge a tad more while retaining the Toyota image. If anything, we'll get really cheap second hand FRSs in 4-5 years at which point it might be common to see them go for <$15K USD.

Folding@Home | BOINC

15 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

That woman that screamed.. really?

It happened 4 hours into the race so ~6:30PM EST. People are still very much hyped up about the race I guess. Much energy. (the team announced that they would retire at ~7:30 PM after not being able to repair the damage)

Folding@Home | BOINC

I really wanted to purchase a 2016 chevy volt, but the dealers in Indiana don't have them. From what I read, the 2016 version is a major improvement over previous models. Does anyone have experience with the previous models, and could offer some input on if I should consider them or wait for 2017?

14 minutes ago, Chris_Beans said:

I really wanted to purchase a 2016 chevy volt, but the dealers in Indiana don't have them. From what I read, the 2016 version is a major improvement over previous models. Does anyone have experience with the previous models, and could offer some input on if I should consider them or wait for 2017?

I just ordered a car on Friday, even if the dealer doesn't have what you want, if you're serious, they will get one for you.

I have to ask though, why are you set on the Volt?

3 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

why are you set on the Volt?

I liked the look of the 2016 Volt better than the previous models.

I'm really looking for an affordable all electric car that can plug into a 110 outlet to charge, and get excellent gas mileage when running gas generator. So if you have better non-volt recommendations I'm open to other options.

1 minute ago, Chris_Beans said:

I liked the look of the 2016 Volt better than the previous models.

I'm really looking for an affordable all electric car that can plug into a 110 outlet to charge, and get excellent gas mileage when running gas generator. So if you have better non-volt recommendations I'm open to other options.

It isn't in the same class, size-wise. But the i3 is really eye-catching to me.

Hey everybody! I'm new to this thread, so I figured I should introduce myself!  I drive a 2006 Mini Cooper S.  I live in Connecticut and want to race cars professionally one day.
Here's a link to my Car and all of its mods

d7dabcc0-210f-4cc9-8450-6e031193b258.lar

CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor + Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX ATX AM3+ Motherboard Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive + Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive & Seagate Barracuda 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card Case: Rosewill THOR V2 ATX Full Tower Case + Thermaltake TR2 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter Monitor: Asus VK278Q 27.0" Monitor

Peripherals: Razer DeathStalker Wired Gaming Keyboard + Razer Abyssus Wired Optical Mouse Headphones: Bose SIE2i Orange Earbud Headphones + Mic: Kaxidy Stereo MIC

15 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

It isn't in the same class, size-wise. But the i3 is really eye-catching to me.

Not really in my price range and it looks like it only holds 2 gallons of gas. 

7 minutes ago, Chris_Beans said:

Not really in my price range and it looks like it only holds 2 gallons of gas. 

Many hybrids can be had with wicked state rebates. And if your normal distance driven can be covered by just the batteries (Range Extender only kicks in when batteries are close to dead), then the small tank isn't an issue.

But good luck in your journey to find a suitable hybrid. :)

5 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

good luck in your journey to find a suitable hybrid

Thanks. It's probably more of a dream right now any way.

21 minutes ago, ShaunC said:

Hey everybody! I'm new to this thread, so I figured I should introduce myself!  I drive a 2006 Mini Cooper S.  I live in Connecticut and want to race cars professionally one day.
Here's a link to my Car and all of its mods

-snip-

I love mini's! Got to ride in a car exactly like yours for autoX one day, It was sweet. Surprising how roomy they feel inside considering how small they are, I know they arent as small as the originals but they are still pretty tiny by today's standards. That thing could corner, and the supercharger whine was great lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

so scion being killed off, will we have the Toyota FR-S here? Or will they just change it to GT-86 like everywhere else in the world?

because honestly, I prefer the name GT-86.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

so scion being killed off, will we have the Toyota FR-S here? Or will they just change it to GT-86 like everywhere else in the world?

because honestly, I prefer the name GT-86.

I'm not sure. If I had to guess I would go with the GT-86 for homologation.