Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

too bad they didn't total their truck, tough i guess that would have been a lot worse on your mom too.

Judging from the condition of the suburban, they may well have totaled it. Those are not worth much money, and body work does not come cheap. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Judging from the condition of the suburban, they may well have totaled it. Those are not worth much money, and body work does not come cheap. 

seriously, that's a total? i guess i can kinda see the bonnet, front end and maybe something like the radiator being crushed, tough there should be plenty of secondhand parts available for those cars right?

seriously, that's a total? i guess i can kinda see the bonnet, front end and maybe something like the radiator being crushed, tough there should be plenty of secondhand parts available for those cars right?

That's not how insurance companies work. The insurance company will have you get a local quote from a body shop. The body shop knows the insurance company is fitting the bill (since you asked them to send the quote to the insurance co) and charges what they feel (read $$). Most insurance companies will total a car if the cost of repair exceeds 75% of the current value. That Suburban is probably not worth much, so the it doesn't take a lot for the insurance co to call it a total loss and write you a check. 

Of course the owner could not accept the payout, and simply pay to get it mechanically rolling again themselves. Albeit with a Salvage title at that point. 

Obviously the suburban who was rear ended will just get fixed and continue. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

That's not how insurance companies work. The insurance company will have you get a local quote from a body shop. The body shop knows the insurance company is fitting the bill (since you asked them to send the quote to the insurance co) and charges what they feel (read $$). Most insurance companies will total a car if the cost of repair exceeds 75% of the current value. That Suburban is probably not worth much, so the it doesn't take a lot for the insurance co to call it a total loss and write you a check. 

Of course the owner could not accept the payout, and simply pay to get it mechanically rolling again themselves. Albeit with a Salvage title at that point. 

Obviously the suburban who was rear ended will just get fixed and continue. 

yeah our suburban is fine. Just needs a new bumper cover/maybe reinforcement. Nothing else was damaged (luckily not the rear door). From what I have heard, I agree, the other suburban is likely a total loss, it'll be pretty close. Us having a trailer ball/hitch did not help. Punched a hole thorough their bumper/grill and they had trouble getting the cars detached from each other because of the ball/hitch.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

finally back to my parents house after a class and 3 hr of driving. and as promised i will get a picture of my dads garage sometime this week (we have to clean it first)

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

too bad they didn't total their truck, tough i guess that would have been a lot worse on your mom too.

yeah well had it been any harder that wouldn't have been nice considering my mom had the baby with her as well. 

But as far as I know the story goes they were just creeping up on a stop sign and person behind wasn't paying attention and did a last-minute brake jab, locking the wheels sliding into the back. Road was wet and their tires were bald too so that didn't help. Because the cars were stuck to each other, they couldn't move. Traffic backed up a good bit. Eventually they were able to move them and the third person in line was super angry because he had been waiting a long time and spun out  from jabbing the throttle out of anger when they were allowed to go lol, and my mom told me the officer working the accident ticketed him. xD

What an interesting day. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

As an avid fan of Haggard garage I dream of the day I get my car and fool around with friends. that would be so mint.

Yeah I love Haggard!! They are so funny bless them....

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

4a26ab75cf05c712ad58bfca04d92022.jpg

Spoiler

-snip-

how high was that person????

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Jesus :lol:

Some people do these things while completely sober. Isn't that depressing?

very depressing 

*SNIP*

That'll buff out.  :ph34r:

Jesus :lol:

Some people do these things while completely sober. Isn't that depressing?

did those people get their lisences from ebay?

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

i hear this is going to be the next big car site https://www.lovecars.com/c/mnN4z  looks interesting i am curious to see what happens with the site wonder if it will turn out like Instagram or jalopnik xD (not advertising or anything like that i am genuinely curious how this will turn out) btw its run by pww not sure if anyone follows him on instagram or what but hes a pretty cool guy 

so, passed my permit test. now i just have to get behind the wheel training done and i can consider it valid. :D

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

That'll buff out. :ph34r:

Easy. A little spit and shine :P

Spoiler

so, passed my permit test. now i just have to get behind the wheel training done and i can consider it valid. :D

-snip-

as a Pastafarian, i think it would be better to celebrate with a plate of pasta to feel touched by his noodly aphendage, blessed by the flying spaghetti monster. (I promise, this is definitely not religious propaganda)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

good job your on the path to owning a heavily modified jdm car. (that i would not approve of :P) but in on seriousness congrats .

good job your on the path to owning a heavily modified jdm car. (that i would not approve of :P) but in on seriousness congrats

and now i just have to find a certified driving school now. another 60 bucks gone.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D