Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

New project car for thee canucks!

if only it were the liftback/fastback... :(

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Glad I spotted this thread :wub:

great, another JDM lover! Finaly some More of us!

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Tried that. Not as comfy IMO.

Well, really. they're overrated, when you have a manual that is. you always have one hand on the gearstick really the whole time unless you're cruisin on the highway.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Put it in 5th and hit the cruz

hahaha not in the city i won't.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

How I imagine the dialogue went: "Left five over crest maybe, caution ditch rightside, car on road, heavy braking into tree."

Or if this was Dirt 3: "Don't worry, it's just a scratch."

r3zzzc42qczkgsesqet4.gif

I LOVE RALLYCARS. Plus stage rally has the by-product of training some of the best and most committed drivers in the world. Definitely as accessible at the grassroots level as any autox.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Maybe a stickshift isn't for you. :P

well, i like fun, and stickshift cars are fun. i would rather drive a 5 speed protege over our slushbox 4 speed corolla, even though our corolla is newer and has better looking rims and shit. our protege's more loaded technically, and its smaller 

Hope you like socal traffic :P

lemme repeat this. i don't live in socal. i live in norcal, the valley, the least congested area in california.

Quick trip to Oslo in my dads v40 to pick up some poly bushings, race sway bars and various other stuff for the 140 im workung on at the rally shop. (My dad is driving a 2002 Volvo v40 diesel)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

lemme repeat this. i don't live in socal. i live in norcal, the valley, the least congested area in california.

Manual is fun but only in non congested areas. To me it was very aggravating.

So it is possible to repair a spark plug wire?

Possible, sure. But likely not worth it. 

Abrasion? 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Manual is fun but only in non congested areas. To me it was very aggravating.

A lot of people say this too and I have never felt that my cars were a pain in traffic. Sure, it's not as mindless as an auto but I just got used to it and didn't really think about it. 

Now I live in ND, so traffic is just about non existent. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Possible, sure. But likely not worth it. 

Abrasion? 

I need to fix the metal terminal inside the boot on the spark plug side.

I need to fix the metal terminal inside the boot on the spark plug side.

I dont know of anyone selling just the contact. Google around and see what you find.

My guess is that you will end up with a new set of plug wires. 

I dont know of anyone selling just the contact. Google around and see what you find.

My guess is that you will end up with a new set of plug wires. 

I know MSD does but I'd really rather see if it can be done without spending any money on this car yet.

http://www.autozone.com/ignition/wireset-performance-boots-terminals/msd-90-degree-non-logo-spark-plug-boot-and-terminal/560895_0_0/?checkfit=true

Slushboxes start to be really fun off road as well. On the dunes its not too bad but on rocky trails and what not where you're in and out of gear waiting for the guy in front of you your left leg starts to feel the pain. And you know in my area in town there's not much traffic even during rush hour but up in Portland or Eugene oh my god. And as @Real_Philbert anyone would adjust but it comes down to prefrence.

Not that I want to turn this into another transmission preference mega war, but I have always thought that manual transmission make for a more enjoyable car, regardless of the performance level. My Focus is not a fast (or even cool) car by any stretch of the imagination, but the manual transmission makes my commute to work or the grocery store just a bit more enjoyable. My Mustang might actually qualify as a fast car, and could probably be faster with an auto, but the manual is just more fun; which to me, is what that car is all about.

Just my $0.02

Slushboxes start to be really fun off road as well. On the dunes its not too bad but on rocky trails and what not where you're in and out of gear waiting for the guy in front of you your left leg starts to feel the pain. And you know in my area in town there's not much traffic even during rush hour but up in Portland or Eugene oh my god. And as @Real_Philbert anyone would adjust but it comes down to prefrence.

This forsure. 

I have both a manual and an auto car. both cars are fun.

I know MSD does but I'd really rather see if it can be done without spending any money on this car yet.

http://www.autozone.com/ignition/wireset-performance-boots-terminals/msd-90-degree-non-logo-spark-plug-boot-and-terminal/560895_0_0/?checkfit=true

It's $7.99 and likely available at a local store... why would you try to gerry rig it?

I have arrived at the apartment block where we are picking up the parts. (I migth get you a pic of the sweet volvo 242 turbo thats parker outside)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

So my step dad was just telling me about the time the dowl pin fell out of the cog that runs the oil pump on his '97 12 valve Cummins one night when he was leaving his buddies house and drove it 14 miles with no oil pressure. Those motors are so freaking tough the cylender walls didn't even notice. Still had all the cross-hatching and everything. Drove it back to his buddies house and over the next month they replaced the rod and crank bearings, did the valve springs casue they were in there anyway, did the injectors and turbo all at the same time, fired right up and was better than new.

This makes me want one.

kinda want one too, but they're noisy as hell. and that crankankankankankankank noise is unbearable. if i want a loud car, i'd be an sti straight piped.

So my step dad was just telling me about the time the dowl pin fell out of the cog that runs the oil pump on his '97 12 valve Cummins one night when he was leaving his buddies house and drove it 14 miles with no oil pressure. Those motors are so freaking tough the cylender walls didn't even notice. Still had all the cross-hatching and everything. Drove it back to his buddies house and over the next month they replaced the rod and crank bearings, did the valve springs casue they were in there anyway, did the injectors and turbo all at the same time, fired right up and was better than new.

This makes me want one.

Many, many people were not so lucky with their encounter with the killer dowel pin. That problem killed more than a couple engines.

@Real_Philbert that's what I've heard. This one is pretty damn close to what I'm looking for. 12 valve, auto, 4x4, and extra cab.

EDIT: Oh and under 10 grand.

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/ctd/5364866838.html

Hell yeah, just open it up as soon as you get it home to verify that the pin has the retainer on it now and you're good to go. 

Speaking of exhaust drone on highways.. 

In the city my golf is great on gas. And damn near silent.

But at 100km/h in fifth gear the engine is turning at 3000rpm...

Why not put a damn six speed in it!? 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"