Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

ah, so i'm assuming engine mounts and tranny mounts are custom built since it's an fwd car with a genesis powertrain?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Yep.

It's lighter than the 6R80 I have it replaces.

how? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

how? 

Less parts made out of denser metals and a smaller overall package iirc. It's not a ton lighter but it's still less weight.

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Less parts made out of denser metals and a smaller overall package iirc. It's not a ton lighter but it's still less weight.

Must be weak then

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Must be weak then

People said the same about switching from iron to steel.. that wasn't necessarily the case now was it? If both Chevy and Ford are using the transmission for towing I'm fairly confident it won't grenade on you. Those two actually durability test their transmissions a bunch.

What I mean by not using denser metals is they're going with parts that have either the same strength or more but not as much weight.

What up @Strando123

Forza Horizon 3 2016-11-06 4_38_05 PM.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

12 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

People said the same about switching from iron to steel.. that wasn't necessarily the case now was it? If both Chevy and Ford are using the transmission for towing I'm fairly confident it won't grenade on you. Those two actually durability test their transmissions a bunch.

What I mean by not using denser metals is they're going with parts that have either the same strength or more but not as much weight.

I wasn't aware that people said that when switching from iron to steel because afaik steel is stronger than iron....

but it's probably fine. I know it has a high torque rating so it'll probably last a long time under most circumstances... At least I hope it would

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

I wasn't aware that people said that when switching from iron to steel because afaik steel is stronger than iron....

but it's probably fine. I know it has a high torque rating so it'll probably last a long time under most circumstances... At least I hope it would

If it didn't both companies would lose billions of dollars.

4 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

If it didn't both companies would lose billions of dollars.

I'm just waiting for the day someone decides it's a "good idea" to make an entire transmission out of aluminum.

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I'm just waiting for the day someone decides it's a "good idea" to make an entire transmission out of aluminum.

I'm wondering if titanium will ever make its way in to regular vehicles. :P

16 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I'm wondering if titanium will ever make its way in to regular vehicles. :P

it very well could, might be too expensive though :(

but some connecting rods use titanium though? (idk if that's from OEM's... might only be aftermarket)

Spoiler

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I'm just waiting for the day someone decides it's a "good idea" to make an entire transmission out of plastic.

Fixed for predictions. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

it very well could, might be too expensive though :(

but some connecting rods use titanium though? (idk if that's from OEM's... might only be aftermarket)

the first gen nsx came factory with titanium conrods. but idk what other car does.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

7 days ago I was at 150030 miles. 

~19psi oil pressure not too low? 

Spoiler

i came.

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

How many times?

a solid 10.

I've got E34 BMW. Today my cars throttle got stuck and accelrated into infinity. A small rubber sheeth on the cable got loose and jammed the throttle. Turns out the cars actually got a recall for this issue back in the day. 

20 year old recall damn near killed me. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

6 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

My step dad's buddy had a floor mat (aftermarket one) get stuck up under the gas pedal. Had to click it to Neutral and bounce off the rev limiter until he got the mat out and tossed into the bed of the truck going down the freeway. His butt puckered hard enough to suck up the seat is what he made it sound like.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. Imagine doing 50 then suddenly doing 100. Gonna have to look at my transmission as I pulled on the ebrake before I shut off the car. Mate change my brakes too. 

And pants.

6 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. Imagine doing 50 then suddenly doing 100. Gonna have to look at my transmission as I pulled on the ebrake before I shut off the car. Mate change my brakes too. 

And pants.

did you shift to neutral at least? i think that's the safest way to avoid a crash, since shifting it to neutral doesn't give the engine any power to the wheels anymore.

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

did you shift to neutral at least? i think that's the safest way to avoid a crash, since shifting it to neutral doesn't give the engine any power to the wheels anymore.

I hadnt initially as i panicked. After pulling the ebrake I put it in neutral And shut off the car once I got into the emergency lane. Engine was trying to rev up the whole time.

8 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

I hadnt initially as i panicked. After pulling the ebrake I put it in neutral And shut off the car once I got into the emergency lane. Engine was trying to rev up the whole time.

I've been scared of this happening to me sometimes but then I remember I drive a Miata (and had a Corolla a while back) so I'd have plenty of time to solve the problem before it was a major issue... Lol

Spoiler

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

a solid 10.

Dayum

1 hour ago, goodtofufriday said:

I've got E34 BMW. Today my cars throttle got stuck and accelrated into infinity. A small rubber sheeth on the cable got loose and jammed the throttle. Turns out the cars actually got a recall for this issue back in the day. 

20 year old recall damn near killed me. 

But hey the car is cool though.

7 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

What up @Strando123

I know you like it but mang, you dont need to @ me all tthe damn time xD

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600