Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Generally FWD is better, as you have the weight over the driven wheels. But good in snow it is far more down to the tyres, than which end is driven.

Like all season ultra high performance tires.

A modern fwd car is not bad in the snow. And for many drivers they are safer. But i prefer that extra lifeline of being able to steer with the throttle if the front tires slip.

You have to be good at feeling what the car is doing if you drive a rwd car in snow. 

Good snow/Year round tires are a must though. No matter what you drive

well, i don't live in an area that snows but i travel to the mountains a lot, so really it can go either way. i just don't want a car that's too heavy in the snow and slides because it doesn't have enough power to climb the mountains.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

really i would die to have this almost mint 2004 nsx http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5075571862.htmlbut the problem is it's just not practical.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

really i would die to have this almost mint 2004 nsx http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5075571862.htmlbut the problem is it's just not practical.

That is a pretty strange thing to add to an nsx ad

Berlina is the word for a sedan in the European Portuguese, Italian, Romanian, and Spanish languages.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

That is a pretty strange thing to add to an nsx ad

are you talking about like a tv ad for the nsx? bc i can't find it in the craigslist one.

are you talking about like a tv ad for the nsx? bc i can't find it in the craigslist one.

It clearly says "Berlina" in the ad

Apparantly it refers to the colour.

Still Berlina black would just mean "Sedan black"

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

It clearly says "Berlina" in the ad

Apparantly it refers to the colour.

Still Berlina black would just mean "Sedan black"

Hey, as long as it looks good, i could care less.

Like all season ultra high performance tires.

well, i don't live in an area that snows but i travel to the mountains a lot, so really it can go either way. i just don't want a car that's too heavy in the snow and slides because it doesn't have enough power to climb the mountains.

Is it snowy or icy in the mountains?

Studless winter tyres are really good these days but nothing beats studs on plain ice, and even then the wheels will spin. On snow the studs aren't better in any way.

If the car has some form of traction control I feel both RWD and FWD should do, but FWD will probably offer more grip.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Is it snowy or icy in the mountains?

Studless winter tyres are really good these days but nothing beats studs on plain ice, and even then the wheels will spin. On snow the studs aren't better in any way.

If the car has some form of traction control I feel both RWD and FWD should do, but FWD will probably offer more grip.

it's a combo of both, i believe.

only our corolla out of the three cars i have has traction control atm, but if i get an ms6, that will have 2 cars with traction control.

only our corolla out of the three cars i have has traction control atm, but if i get an ms6, that will have 2 cars with traction control.

Well I don't know how slippery the Californian mountains are, but I survived a Finnish winter without traction control.

Well I don't know how slippery the Californian mountains are, but I survived a Finnish winter without traction control.

They're actually not that bad. They put salt everywhere.

Anybody here had issues with windshields on 09+ Toyotas? Because one day, our 2010 Corolla had a pretty big issue with the OEM windshield. It had a chip from someone's car throwing up a chunk of salt up in the mountains. A day later, i noticed there was this horizontal crack running the whole width of the windshield. It was pretty big. Luckily i replaced it with a Pilkington brand windshield which looks exactly like OEM, except its US made. Anybody else had this issue?

Anybody here had issues with windshields on 09+ Toyotas? Because one day, our 2010 Corolla had a pretty big issue with the OEM windshield. It had a chip from someone's car throwing up a chunk of salt up in the mountains. A day later, i noticed there was this horizontal crack running the whole width of the windshield. It was pretty big. Luckily i replaced it with a Pilkington brand windshield which looks exactly like OEM, except its US made. Anybody else had this issue?

We haven't had a Toyota, but my dad who drives a lot has cracked one windscreen pretty much in all of his cars.

It's just bad luck I feel. And there are things that promote the growth of the crack.

We haven't had a Toyota, but my dad who drives a lot has cracked one windscreen pretty much in all of his cars.

It's just bad luck I feel. And there are things that promote the growth of the crack.

I feel like Toyota has skimped on windshield because i've seen even brand new Camrys with cracks on the windshield. our mazdas however haven't had a single crack, just many chips, and our minivan never had a windshield replacement ever. only our protege had one replacement because it was littered with chips, almost to the point where he can't see out of it.

I feel like Toyota has skimped on windshield because i've seen even brand new Camrys with cracks on the windshield. our mazdas however haven't had a single crack, just many chips, and our minivan never had a windshield replacement ever. only our protege had one replacement because it was littered with chips, almost to the point where he can't see out of it.

It could be. Toyota seems to have been cheaping out on some thing recently.

But I also feel like it's not hugely car dependant whether the windscreen might crack.

It could be. Toyota seems to have been cheaping out on some thing recently.

But I also feel like it's not hugely car dependant whether the windscreen might crack.

i guess, but really, toyota should do something about the plastic in their car. they seem to overdo it. our corolla is literally plastic on top of plastic. it's disgusting. our protege doesn't have this much plastic, and it's 8 years older.

they certainly didnt back then... my 2001 corolla I believe has the factory windshield as it was made before windshields were required to have the blue shade at the top. Mine doesnt have the shade. Also its been hit with many, many rocks and hasn't cracked or chipped at all whereas both our other cars have small cracks in them currently from rocks lol

Honestly if it doesnt break before I get rid of the thing I will find a gun and shoot it and see what happens xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

yo guys, I'm searching for my first car. I have a budget of 7000€ (eur, not usd!) and I want something sporty. Not something insane like a m3, I want something relatively new with not a lot of mileage so something like the renault clio rs. Any other alternatives?

Maybe the Alfa Romeo MiTo Turbo or the Renault Megane Turbo? If you want a newer car, then maybe the Renault Wind.

The mountain roads around me are actually quite good for traction. There are so many fast drivers around here that there is actually a build up of rubber on the road kind of like what you see at a track haha.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Best of all worlds:

Legacy GT

System: Thinkpad T460

Best of all worlds:

Legacy GT

I was at one point very close to buying one haha. They are awesome cars.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Always loved the GT's. Too bad Subaru made it a fat tourer after the 4th gen, which imo is one of the best looking Subaru's of all time. Especially the wagon. 

I want a GT wagon someday....

6nq9qup.jpg

Hey, as long as it looks good, i could care less.

its i couldnt care less. Sorry if i seem like a pita.

The euro dude have you considered auris or astra corsa both my uncles got both the auris and corsa and they like them.

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

they certainly didnt back then... my 2001 corolla I believe has the factory windshield as it was made before windshields were required to have the blue shade at the top. Mine doesnt have the shade. Also its been hit with many, many rocks and hasn't cracked or chipped at all whereas both our other cars have small cracks in them currently from rocks lol

Honestly if it doesnt break before I get rid of the thing I will find a gun and shoot it and see what happens xD

The blue shade was from the tape after a windshield replacement just tinting it xD it's just weird seeing that blue the whole width.

Always loved the GT's. Too bad Subaru made it a fat tourer after the 4th gen, which imo is one of the best looking Subaru's of all time. Especially the wagon. 

I want a GT wagon someday....

-snip-

I'm still hoping to buy one, but for now my search has settled on a slightly newer GR hatch (a basic 2.5i leggy fetches ~10K and a decent GR rex ~17K) . Issue up here being finding one that is in decent condition and decently equipped is quite challenge as they rarely come up. I wouldn't mind settling for the H6 for its smoothness but it is severely limited in the aftermarket. That only leaves the 2.5GT, which like any other fun Subaru, is most likely going to be thrashed and need work at some point in your ownership.

Oh well, here's to hoping I find my baby.

Worse comes to worse, I wouldn't mind the H6. Dat glass roof hnnnngh.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

I'm still hoping to buy one, but for now my search has settled on a slightly newer GR hatch (a basic 2.5i leggy fetches ~10K and a decent GR rex ~17K) . Issue up here being finding one that is in decent condition and decently equipped is quite challenge as they rarely come up. I wouldn't mind settling for the H6 for its smoothness but it is severely limited in the aftermarket. That only leaves the 2.5GT, which like any other fun Subaru, is most likely going to be thrashed and need work at some point in your ownership.

Oh well, here's to hoping I find my baby.

There are some GT's out there but they have racked up on miles like you'd expect from a Subie. Yea the 2.5i's are much more available but aren't that sought out. The turbo DOHC 255 is what makes the GT special and desireable as a wrx in classier clothing. I wouldn't see much of a point in an H6. And being a Subje a lot of parts are interchangeable. Plus manual wagons are rare cus I think they stopped making them. I'm not really into the newer Impreza's :P so I haven't looked into them much.

An example of a pretty good one:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5038524160.html

(Probably been sold or something is wrong with it so it's not selling)

Still impossible to see how it has been treated.

And spec B's are just out of the question hahaa