Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

that looks nice. Pre vanos is good too because there is much less of a chance for expensive problems. Millage is quite a bit high though.

Really nice considering it's a 1997 which didn't look as good, but it looks like it was facelifted to 2003. Is an engine with VANOS really that bad? and i can deal with the high mileage, as long as i know it's reliable.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Really nice considering it's a 1997 which didn't look as good, but it looks like it was facelifted to 2003. Is an engine with VANOS really that bad? and i can deal with the high mileage, as long as i know it's reliable.

Variable valve timing tech and German engineering. Sounds like an explosive mix :P

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

The engine can develop a tick. But its all a matter of luck. I know people that have driven bmws with vanos systems and had zero problems.

But i also know people that have had the problem twice on the same car.. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I'd say no. They're great cars and all. But that snap-oversteer would scare me for any first car owner.

Goofy but honest review of the car:

Ironically this was the video that introduced me to the car. I'm still interested as I.... live dangerously. B)

Variable valve timing tech and German engineering. Sounds like an explosive mix :P

Well, this one is pre VANOS, so probably lasted 220k without issues, i hope. ;/

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Vanos is basically vtec for bmws yay for non vanos cars. Lol

Merica ftw

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

Vanos is basically vtec for bmws yay for non vanos cars. Lol

Merica ftw

Most modern cars have some form of valve timing.

Ford uses a system called VCT

GM has DCVCP

and both GM and Chrysler use a system called VVT

All manufacturers have one system they use

Which is why i find it completely ridiculous that people go around toting VTEC like it's something to be amazed about

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Most modern cars have some form of valve timing.

Ford uses a system called VCT

GM has DCVCP

and both GM and Chrysler use a system called VVT

All manufacturers have one system they use

Which is why i find it completely ridiculous that people go around toting VTEC like it's something to be amazed about

Not sure about all those...

Do they all switch cam profiles? If they don't it really doesn't "kick in" like vtec. I think that's why people tote it. For them it's like a turbo spooling up or something.

System: Thinkpad T460

Not sure about all those...

Do they all switch cam profiles? If they don't it really doesn't "kick in" like vtec. I think that's why people tote it. For them it's like a turbo spooling up or something.

My golf has a step in the rev range that rivals Vtec.. And that is probably just some form of cam phasing. Vtec feels about the same. Except for being noisier

Bought myself my dream car 3 weeks ago

SRT Viper GTS Special Anodized Carbon Edition , number 37/50 made

kcsgm.gif

Seriously. That is awesome.

How is it to drive?

kcsgm.gif

Seriously. That is awesome.

How is it to drive?

I've tested multiple cars before buying it.

I've driven a 2012 Gallardo SuperLaggera, Corvette Z06, Ferrari 438 Italia.

I liked the Viper better than all the cars above. You FEEL the car when driving it . and it's one hell of a beast, Almost shit my pants when I first floored it , none of the other cars scared me that much and it's a good thing

I've tested multiple cars before buying it.

I've driven a 2012 Gallardo SuperLaggera, Corvette Z06, Ferrari 438 Italia.

I liked the Viper better than all the cars above. You FEEL the car when driving it . and it's one hell of a beast, Almost shit my pants when I first floored it , none of the other cars scared me that much and it's a good thing

... What the hell do you work in and what education do i need

Sounds like my kind of car.. The viper just seems like it'd be a drivers car

... What the hell do you work in and what education do i need

Sounds like my kind of car.. The viper just seems like it'd be a drivers car

The viper is one hell of a car, my friend who owns a gallardo spyder and a Bentley continental super sport was scared to death of the car when he rode with me.

I've buried all kind of cars on drag races... gallardo, GTR , Hellcats etc etc

I Work for myself :) 

The viper is one hell of a car, my friend who owns a gallardo spyder and a Bentley continental super sport was scared to death of the car when he rode with me.

I've buried all kind of cars on drag races... gallardo, GTR , Hellcats etc etc

I Work for myself :)

Sounds fantastic too. Speechlessly jealous right now

Ah.. Well that explains it. May your accountant not screw you and may your business contacts always keep their word. 

Sounds fantastic too. Speechlessly jealous right now

Ah.. Well that explains it. May your accountant not screw you and may your business contacts always keep their word. 

If my accounting screws me , she screws herself up too, it's my wife :)

If my accounting screws me , she screws herself up too, it's my wife :)

Sounds nice and safe^^

My accountant almost landed me in jail..

Man a Viper is one car I would LOVE to own.

I'm a real sucker for the older ones. A 2003 convertible would be nice

2003-dodge-viper-srt-10.jpg

I'm a real sucker for the older ones. A 2003 convertible would be nice

2003-dodge-viper-srt-10.jpg

Haha I saw that exact model convertible in red on the freeway a while ago.

I think I posted a pic idk lol...

System: Thinkpad T460

Haha I saw that exact model convertible in red on the freeway a while ago.

I think I posted a pic idk lol...

They are the more common ones you see on the road.

Personally i like it because it only looks slightly miffed

The new ones look pissed off

dodge-viper-SRT-2015-1024x640.jpg

here is a link to the build log where I installed a nexus 7 tablet in my car.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/350225-summer-project-nexus-7-car-install-build-log/

you guys might enjoy it.

I read that i while back^^

I am completely against touch screens in cars but that one is so cleanly installed that i don't mind it

I read that i while back^^

I am completely against touch screens in cars but that one is so cleanly installed that i don't mind it

How come? They're useful if you've got GPS.

How come? They're useful if you've got GPS.

You can't operate them without looking at them. The old button/knob stereos are enough and allow me to keep my eyes on the road.

I almost want to go so far as to say that they are in some circumstances as bad as texting and driving