Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

So, which is better for snow driving, rwd or fwd? assuming i don't have 4wd at all.

I always thought FWD was better in the snow, with the engine being above the wheels where power is being sent. More weight on the drive axle means more traction. Or at least that's what I always thought. Plus, RWD cars push you forward, while FWD pulls you. For acceleration traction snow you want the tires pulling you through, not pushing you through and that means FWD would (hypothetically) work better.

That being said, I drove the entire winter in a RWD 525, so I think you'll be fine. Just get some good tires.

Always loved the GT's. Too bad Subaru made it a fat tourer after the 4th gen, which imo is one of the best looking Subaru's of all time. Especially the wagon. 

I want a GT wagon someday....

~~

There are so many 4th gens out here. All Outbacks though, sadly. I see a few LGT sedans every now and then, but never wagons. I want one too. Too bad I already have a wagon cause that would definitely be on the short list, along with the 2nd gen GG WRX/9-2x Aero.

wagon3.jpg

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

I always thought FWD was better in the snow, with the engine being above the wheels where power is being sent. More weight on the drive axle means more traction. Or at least that's what I always thought. Plus, RWD cars push you forward, while FWD pulls you. For acceleration traction snow you want the tires pulling you through, not pushing you through and that means FWD would (hypothetically) work better.

That being said, I drove the entire winter in a RWD 525, so I think you'll be fine. Just get some good tires.

Depends on the weight of the car. With a truck RWD is better. Just throw some sandbags in the back. With a normal sized car like a Chevy Impala I'd take FWD. But AWD stumps all IMO

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Depends on the weight of the car. With a truck RWD is better. Just throw some sandbags in the back. With a normal sized car like a Chevy Impala I'd take FWD. But AWD stumps all IMO

Yeah, i think an MS6 is a good choice, because it's FWD when you don't need a lot of power, so it does pull you, but, when you need extra traction or you gun the throttle, it kicks into AWD, so really, the best of both worlds,

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Stupid car door handle cut my finger. Guess its time to strip it down to plastic.

Maybe I should look into cnc machining a new one out of aluminum or something.

Blarg

Relationship goals:

Icsd9Ds.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

It doesn't matter what wheels are driven as long as you have snow tires. There was a video comparing red with snow tires with awd with summer tires. The two won by a long shot.

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

Since I haven't been on here in a while, IDK if this has been posted or not, but some sad news has come up recently

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/06/nurburgring-ceo-officially-confirms.html

Bit of a bummer, since Nurburgring lap times have always been used as a way to measure a car's ability.

Why would RWD on a truck be better? Do they even make FWD trucks?

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Since I haven't been on here in a while, IDK if this has been posted or not, but some sad news has come up recently

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/06/nurburgring-ceo-officially-confirms.html

Bit of a bummer, since Nurburgring lap times have always been used as a way to measure a car's ability.

Why would RWD on a truck be better? Do they even make FWD trucks?

I've seen FWD swapped trucks before.

Just easier with a truck that is RWD from personal experience. May have just been the AWD system in the truck I didn't like. It liked to lose traction in the rear too easily for my liking.

I really want a Ford Lightning. Like Paul Walker drove around in the first Fast and the Furious movie. 

Fun Fact: The truck he drove in the movie was his own truck IRL

Just such a nice truck:

They're so fun.

I just want my Cadillac back...

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Dream car(s) My cousin and I are also building a pretty sick go-cart. It's gonna have a lifted suspension since we live in pretty hilly terrain. It rains a lot so some mud tires will be on it. The frame will be whatever we can find at a junkyard and we will weld if needed and add on and paint it red and black. It'll be able to seat two people. We are putting a dirt bike engine in it also so the hard part is getting a Tranny in it.

post-221908-0-67440700-1435006713.jpg

post-221908-0-50180300-1435006728.jpg

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

New profile pic and sig. Meow

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

Dream car(s) My cousin and I are also building a pretty sick go-cart. It's gonna have a lifted suspension since we live in pretty hilly terrain. It rains a lot so some mud tires will be on it. The frame will be whatever we can find at a junkyard and we will weld if needed and add on and paint it red and black. It'll be able to seat two people. We are putting a dirt bike engine in it also so the hard part is getting a Tranny in it.

Perhaps I am understanding you wrong, but any modern motorcycle/dirtbike engine will have a transmission built into it.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Why can't you put a 4 cylinder Hayabusa engine in it?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Perhaps I am understanding you wrong, but any modern motorcycle/dirtbike engine will have a transmission built into it.

you Kindda are. I meant we have to put a clutch and gear shifter in which will be a bit harder.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

What about the engine, clutch,/driveline?

System: Thinkpad T460

Building a go-kart is one of the things I really wanted to do but when I realized I won't have a lot of places I can use it I decided against it.

you Kindda are. I meant we have to put a clutch and gear shifter in which will be a bit harder.

Push-pull cable to the shifter and a regular cable to the clutch actuator. Or a hydraulic clutch setup to make your life a bit easier.

I have build 4 FSAE cars, which use motorcycle engines. :) These are small issues.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I just want my Cadillac back...

What was it?

Push-pull cable to the shifter and a regular cable to the clutch actuator. Or a hydraulic clutch setup to make your life a bit easier.

I have build 4 FSAE cars, which use motorcycle engines. :) These are small issues.

Thank you for not making me look like a double poster lol

Thank you for not making me look like a double poster lol

I help where I can :)

I help where I can :)

Do you see the irony? Lol.

Do you see the irony? Lol.

Yeah, I was just going to let it go Lol.