Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Borrowing the “family” 2012 XC60  (3.2) for the week (was my sisters car but she moved to Guatemala).

needs an oil change. Also it whines a bit at idle. I think it’s the PCV diaphragm starting to go based on what I’ve seen online. 

also the steering kind of “wobbles” when you’re in the middle of a long sweeping turn. It’s very odd and a bit hard to explain...You just feel it tightening/loosening as you hold a load on the wheel. Couldn’t find much online about that.

can normal people like me even get good scan tools for these cars? Like what’s the VCDS equivalent? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

15 hours ago, Bitter said:

My guess would be LCA bushings for the cornering wobble....possibly lower ball joints.

I think it’s steering rack/power related. This morning with the car stopped I turned the wheel slightly just so it had turning force on it, and I could feel it pulsating tighter/looser 

no noise or anything just that. I guess it’s not a huge deal just bothers me 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

56 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I think it’s steering rack/power related. This morning with the car stopped I turned the wheel slightly just so it had turning force on it, and I could feel it pulsating tighter/looser 

no noise or anything just that. I guess it’s not a huge deal just bothers me 

Oh that's weird, it electric PS isn't it? Ah with Volvo there's probably a software update for it. There's always a software update.

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

Oh that's weird, it electric PS isn't it? Ah with Volvo there's probably a software update for it. There's always a software update.

I think it’s hydraulic power steering but the pump is powered electrically.

pretty weird. 

watch the battery be the problem, lol. Idk how old it is 

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Their poor curbs

I've been there, they don't have many curbs outside the one larger city. It's more ditches and tree's to stop your car from getting too far from the road.

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

I've been there, they don't have many curbs outside the one larger city. It's more ditches and tree's to stop your car from getting too far from the road.

She’s getting married there at the end of the month so I’ll confirm that while I’m there, lol

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

She’s getting married there at the end of the month so I’ll confirm that while I’m there, lol

What part of the country? I was in Guatemala city briefly but mostly near Tikal. We were visiting Belize but took a couple days to see the ruins there. This was 20+ years ago....might be all curbs now.

12 hours ago, Bitter said:

What part of the country? I was in Guatemala city briefly but mostly near Tikal. We were visiting Belize but took a couple days to see the ruins there. This was 20+ years ago....might be all curbs now.

Antigua 

Spoiler

What are your local gas prices? 

This is getting ridiculous.

Regular gas 17.84 sek per litre (7.85 usd per gallon)

Premium gas  18.40 sek per litre (8.1 usd per gallon)

Diesel 19.37 sek per litre. (8.5 usd per gallon)

It's increasing daily. 

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

16 minutes ago, Oskar94a said:

It's increasing daily. 

Just below $3/gallon for regular gas here

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

11 minutes ago, Oskar94a said:

It's increasing daily. 

95 octane - 1.447 eur/ litre (6.51 USD per gallon)
98 octane - 1.537 eur/ liter (6.78 USD per gallon)
Diesel - 1.337eur/ liter (5.89 USD per gallon)
and this is a bit above the usual price (95 usually is about the price of what diesel is now) 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

2 hours ago, Oskar94a said:

It's increasing daily. 

Regular is $3.20/gallon here, oil has been having a huge price rally like everything else

49B9387C-255D-4262-94CE-7FE5B8CEEF13.png

Spoiler

I paid 4.10 last fill up. Last time it was this high, I was driving the Durango which was 13mpg. The payment of my Mazda was about as much as I was spending in gas per month.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

On 10/18/2021 at 9:09 PM, bcredeur97 said:

Reminds me of the coil/wire setup on my NB with the VVT motor.

I believe the 1.6 from the miata and my motor are SIMILAR but not exactly the same. I know some parts fit some don't... I've heard the 1.6 and the 2.0 honestly run about the same, and the 1.6 handling higher RPM's... Regardless its what I got and I drive daily haha! I try to maintain it the most I can, and have had minimal issues. This year I went over board with replacement parts, just so I wouldn't worry about à majority of things, coils, sensors, fuel pump... Yada Yada.

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

22 hours ago, vetali said:

I paid 4.10 last fill up. Last time it was this high, I was driving the Durango which was 13mpg. The payment of my Mazda was about as much as I was spending in gas per month.

it's very nice to daily a bigger vehicle, just expensive tho.

at least this time around most of your normal SUV's and such will get mid 20's instead of teens. So I guess we've made /some/ progress

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Beef Boss said:

I believe the 1.6 from the miata and my motor are SIMILAR but not exactly the same. I know some parts fit some don't... I've heard the 1.6 and the 2.0 honestly run about the same, and the 1.6 handling higher RPM's... Regardless its what I got and I drive daily haha! I try to maintain it the most I can, and have had minimal issues. This year I went over board with replacement parts, just so I wouldn't worry about à majority of things, coils, sensors, fuel pump... Yada Yada.

to be honest I'm surprised you had issues with the original coils, I'm pretty sure we had the same ones and they are really solid. I don't ever seen people replacing them because of a failure. It's more the wires I worry about, I had replaced the two wires on mine with the NGK set but even that wasn't as good as the OEM from what I could tell. They work fine, just don't fit as well.

Mines a 1.8 BP6D. Very similar to yours, just with extra fancy stuff like VVT and piston oil squirters (well..."fancy" for 2002). They didn't have the 2.0L until the NC generation (2006)

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

to be honest I'm surprised you had issues with the original coils, I'm pretty sure we had the same ones and they are really solid. I don't ever seen people replacing them because of a failure. It's more the wires I worry about, I had replaced the two wires on mine with the NGK set but even that wasn't as good as the OEM from what I could tell. They work fine, just don't fit as well.

Mines a 1.8 BP6D. Very similar to yours, just with extra fancy stuff like VVT and piston oil squirters (well..."fancy" for 2002). They didn't have the 2.0L until the NC generation (2006)

Aren't the cam sensors know to be problematic for Miata?

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

it's very nice to daily a bigger vehicle, just expensive tho.

at least this time around most of your normal SUV's and such will get mid 20's instead of teens. So I guess we've made /some/ progress

Yeah, I get about 2 and a half weeks outta the passport on a fill up. Civic was near a month if I was just commuting lol. 36mpg was great.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

15 hours ago, Bitter said:

Aren't the cam sensors know to be problematic for Miata?

If problematic means it might go out every 70-80k miles, then yes. 

the biggest problem with it is it’ll leave you stranded so I carry a spare one in the trunk. 

Spoiler

13 hours ago, vetali said:

Yeah, I get about 2 and a half weeks outta the passport on a fill up. Civic was near a month if I was just commuting lol. 36mpg was great.

My civic would get 38 but that thing was junk, lol.

i wonder what car I’ll get next. I had really liked the idea of the 2000 es300 but not exactly a lot of those around (that are in decent shape anyway). 

idk why it feels so wrong to spend all that money on a touareg again. I liked the car. I just hate how the market is and how much money I’ll lose if it comes tumbling down 

Spoiler

I am getting tired of 25mpg in my 2.0 4 cylinder, I just don't know what to replace it with that's affordable and reliable and equally as cheap to insure.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

I am getting tired of 25mpg in my 2.0 4 cylinder, I just don't know what to replace it with that's affordable and reliable and equally as cheap to insure.

Wouldn’t be good gas mileage but I found a 2004 4Runner SR5 2wd with 187k miles for $9k near me 

thinking about it. I think those are mostly problem free (rust isn’t a concern here) besides the head gaskets? (It’s a 4.0L) 

Spoiler

Spoiler