Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

51 minutes ago, vetali said:

My dad is getting too old to be doing stuff on the ground anymore. I think he was to get a project car/truck but idk what.

Anything above 19 is too old for that 

😂 but really it makes things so much easier that I feel like I would actually want to do more and take better care of my cars 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

This has probably already been discussed somewhere in here but the Ford Maverick coming out soon is super interesting to me.

It’s a 4 door hybrid small pickup truck about the size of the old ranger, gets 35mpg and costs $20,000 for a base model, with the hybrid engine.

41545F8C-025B-46D9-B84E-ED376CFEF6C0.jpeg.ca17dba5905808b0081f80bf3f461790.jpeg

For comparison a base model Toyota Corolla is $21,000ish

So this is the price of a Corolla but it’s a truck.

I feel like if Ford can make enough of them they definitely have a potentially super popular product on their hands. 
On top of that it’s a whole new sort of look, it looks kinda strange, but it doesn’t share a lot of the same modern pickup truck design elements you see now, like being super tall and having an aggressive flat front facia. It looks very neutral and that’s appealing to many people.

It comes in mostly neutral colors except for 3, a darkish red, yellow orange and a brighter blue.

The interior looks roomy and simple, it has a touchscreen console like all cars do now but the hvac controls are still all analog, the dash only has a small display, there’s not a whole lot going on in there.

Seems nice, they really committed to the economy truck idea, hell the base model only comes with steel rims, you don’t even get hubcaps.

It comes with a sheet of measurements for wooden boards to put in the bed in specific spots to make braces.

Everything Ford shows it doing isn’t like “watch this gargantuan fucker pull 80,000 pounds of RAW AMERICAN STEEL UP A FUCKING MOUNTAIN”, it’s more like “if you open the gate on the back you can fit a few bikes in there”

the engine bay is a mess which may be a concern, I imagine getting to anything in this rats nest would be a pain

26CC0018-0D64-4BBF-94F4-36B3156F8D1C.jpeg.414c412d9c146c95bbe7d9d0a1bc0a1f.jpeg

“look, it can barely hold these plywood sheets, but it does work sorta”

CED26B5D-2498-4618-A72E-70EFF8D096E3.thumb.jpeg.9a64063caea4e92cdd9a0e4b6ef08245.jpeg
they know exactly who they’re selling to and I think it’s gonna work out great for them

great for city people that's for sure. I'd be happy to own one, do wish the interior was a little nicer though or if they had an option for that. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Single cab long bed I'm sure is coming later. Perfect fleet truck!

On 6/21/2021 at 5:36 PM, bcredeur97 said:

Yeah let me rent a lift for 4 straight days while I swap my engine 

might as well have paid someone to do it for u 😂

learned this lesson the hard way... I rented a lift at one of these places to install coilovers and a panhard bar back when I had my mustang, ended up paying more than I would have paying a shop to do the install.  places like this are only good if you have something to do that a lift makes it a quick job over jack stands, like hour or less.  otherwise you're better off either struggling with jack stands or just paying someone to do the whole thing.

ps. you're swapping your engine?

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

2 hours ago, warmmilk said:

learned this lesson the hard way... I rented a lift at one of these places to install coilovers and a panhard bar back when I had my mustang, ended up paying more than I would have paying a shop to do the install.  places like this are only good if you have something to do that a lift makes it a quick job over jack stands, like hour or less.  otherwise you're better off either struggling with jack stands or just paying someone to do the whole thing.

ps. you're swapping your engine?

Well hi there, long time no see

no, unfortunately I’m too boring to swap my engine lol 

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Well hi there, long time no see

no, unfortunately I’m too boring to swap my engine lol 

haha, yeah its been a while, I lurk here sometimes

lol.. me too

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

3 hours ago, Eviljuche said:

-snip-

Really thinking about buying this rotten abomination as my first car - meet the Oka, a small city car edition of Lada, to put it shortly. This one is even cheaper than $300, even if I buy all the new parts for replacements. I've learned a thing or two about the car mechanics back in the school days, and I had a motorcycle since the age of twelve, so if I will really buy this one, wish me luck in fixing all the crap in it, and in dealing with the rust

Lada’s are the stereotypical cheap car to me. Lol

either that or a Yugo 

Spoiler

Bent ball joint and wallowed out steering knuckle.

IMG_20210624_165241.thumb.jpg.e2be379db52eab23baad801d273c7b53.jpgIMG_20210624_165258.thumb.jpg.41fb054db53208dd07e35115e9dff872.jpg

Inflated radiator.

IMG_20210624_160220.thumb.jpg.a86bc9fed9f19da3539bdd64a85b573a.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

1 hour ago, Cvet76 said:

I used to watch their videos regularly, but the titles of their videos have become so exhaustively stupid...almost every single one of them is "How fast is it 0-60?" "The Tesla killer?" "The best car ever?"
Mat is an ok host, I guess, but some of the irrelevant titles for some of the cars are just idiotic. I just can't bring myself to watching them anymore

/rant

I watch it for DC/RBR, because they always do crazy stuff with the RB7 and are generally game for anything!

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Behold the awful sticker I really need to remove!

image.thumb.png.0c5e23b58e3ca3a5bb214c67d5c32b09.png

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 hour ago, flibberdipper said:

Behold the awful sticker I really need to remove!

-snip-

use a razor blade, maybe some window cleaner along with it

Spoiler

man we've come a long way, imagine if cars today still had total loss oiling systems lol

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

man we've come a long way, imagine if cars today still had total loss oiling systems lol

Some cars still seem to.

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Some cars still seem to.

Often shortly after accompanied by a handy maintenance hatch to the inside of the engine block.

Just now, Bitter said:

Often shortly after accompanied by a handy maintenance hatch to the inside of the engine block.

Really makes checking your bearing so much easier.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

https://www.michiganpneumatic.com/items/MP-70X

I scored one used on ebay for $123 shipped, my 6X was having a hard time driving out a ball joint. This one should just rattle the vehicles right off the lift....

I ordered the bigger and nastier version of big nasty. Been seeing a lot more rust and crust lately due to people moving here from rusty and crusty areas.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JBOTDFS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also bought a set of those new matco cobalt drill bits. Exhaust bolt on a pilot yeeted itself and I had to drill it out. Snap on drill bit broke, so I do my usual try to shatter it with a punch but no go. Had to sit there with a carbide bit on my dremel for about 30 minutes till I cut it in half, then punched it out. Tried to drill it again but there was a chunk of drill bit in the metal just destroying my bits. Tried my co workers set of those matco bits and it cut through it in like half a second. They're 500 dollars for a set but worth it.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

11 minutes ago, vetali said:

I ordered the bigger and nastier version of big nasty. Been seeing a lot more rust and crust lately due to people moving here from rusty and crusty areas.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JBOTDFS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also bought a set of those new matco cobalt drill bits. Exhaust bolt on a pilot yeeted itself and I had to drill it out. Snap on drill bit broke, so I do my usual try to shatter it with a punch but no go. Had to sit there with a carbide bit on my dremel for about 30 minutes till I cut it in half, then punched it out. Tried to drill it again but there was a chunk of drill bit in the metal just destroying my bits. Tried my co workers set of those matco bits and it cut through it in like half a second. They're 500 dollars for a set but worth it.

Those Matco bits with the stepped point? Yeah I've been lusting after them but our Matco guy yeeted..and Mac guy...and maybe our Snap-on guy too. He's supposed to come by Monday but we'll see, I've only been waiting like 18 months for this ratchet handle now...

If I did my math correctly, and I'm sure I did not, the 7X hammer I got should be on par with or surpass the 'Thor' hammer. It's got the same piston bore but it's a longer stroke, I think what I have currently is at least Big Nasty or equal to this new Thor version. Big Nasty is equivalent to a 5X air riveter, Thor looks to be a 6X which is what I have already, the MP-70X should be a step up from that with a 147mm stroke vs the 98mm stroke on Thor. It's going to obviously depend on the weight of the hammer too. I'd love to see manufactures list the hammer weight in their guns.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Those Matco bits with the stepped point? Yeah I've been lusting after them but our Matco guy yeeted..and Mac guy...and maybe our Snap-on guy too. He's supposed to come by Monday but we'll see, I've only been waiting like 18 months for this ratchet handle now...

If I did my math correctly, and I'm sure I did not, the 7X hammer I got should be on par with or surpass the 'Thor' hammer. It's got the same piston bore but it's a longer stroke, I think what I have currently is at least Big Nasty or equal to this new Thor version. Big Nasty is equivalent to a 5X air riveter, Thor looks to be a 6X which is what I have already, the MP-70X should be a step up from that with a 147mm stroke vs the 98mm stroke on Thor. It's going to obviously depend on the weight of the hammer too. I'd love to see manufactures list the hammer weight in their guns.

They are worth it. We lost our snap on guy, cornhole guy stopped showing up and I had stuff on order from him. Ended up getting them on amazon. Mac still comes around every other week. Matco has a monopoly here so I really don't have much of an option on stuff.

Problem at our shop is the air delivery is so bad that any hammer is gonna be nerfed. Its why I don't really bother researching air tools too much. Too many variables with the environment.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

They are worth it. We lost our snap on guy, cornhole guy stopped showing up and I had stuff on order from him. Ended up getting them on amazon. Mac still comes around every other week. Matco has a monopoly here so I really don't have much of an option on stuff.

Problem at our shop is the air delivery is so bad that any hammer is gonna be nerfed. Its why I don't really bother researching air tools too much. Too many variables with the environment.

I've been trying to get the boss to move the bit secondary air tank to the other side of the shop as a reservoir to feed that  long run of pipe. I know it'll help even out the flow on the other side of the shop but he's not convinced. Also not having a tiny coupler connecting things or a little air hose connecting it to the system...I'd love to have the parts I need to plumb it how I want and a day to do it, we could have some kick-ass air. It's not bad but it could be a lot better.