Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

i'd rather drive the 928, because, v8.

of course a 928 would be better, but it's also 2-3x the price, and way more rare.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

yeah, but less power, and about the same price, at least around here.

Odd. Around here the 924 is the cheapo option. And the 944 is a bit more premium

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

of course a 928 would be better, but it's also 2-3x the price, and way more rare.

explain how jeremy clarkson picked one up for cheap, albeit beaten up.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

holy shit i want this porche bare carbon fiber put a clear wrap on it in staid of matte black it would be beautiful 

24520573_source.jpg

Rare 1 of 1 Porsche 918 Spyder. Ordered WITHOUT PAINT from the factory (exposed carbon fiber). MATTE BLACK PLASTIC WRAP from the factory. This particular 918 is possibly one of the only true hard-core examples ever produced. Every 918 you see is loaded with fluffy leather exotic paint schemes and all kinds of options that aren't important to making a high performance car like this go fast. This car saves approximately 14 pounds by having a high tech matte wrap as well as saving another 8 pounds from the extremely gorgeous and rare nomex lightweight bucket seats. It's pretty wild to think that of all of the possibilities of how to build a 918 this is thus far the only to surface that is a twin to the most famous 918 in history that did the 6:57 at the Nuhrburgring driven by Marc Lieb. Our car was tested by racing legend Hurley Haywood as disclosed on the sticker on the windshield and further adds to its provenance. If you look at other cars that are worth the most in the future they are ALWAYS the ones that focus on performance options not the fluff. This is that car, it's a best of the best, one of one example and as far as we know the only true 918 lightweight produced for the US market. Click here to watch Marc Lieb at the Nuhrburgring in the twin to this car

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

holy shit i want this porche bare carbon fiber put a clear wrap on it in staid of matte black it would be beautiful 

24520573_source.jpg

Rare 1 of 1 Porsche 918 Spyder. Ordered WITHOUT PAINT from the factory (exposed carbon fiber). MATTE BLACK PLASTIC WRAP from the factory. This particular 918 is possibly one of the only true hard-core examples ever produced. Every 918 you see is loaded with fluffy leather exotic paint schemes and all kinds of options that aren't important to making a high performance car like this go fast. This car saves approximately 14 pounds by having a high tech matte wrap as well as saving another 8 pounds from the extremely gorgeous and rare nomex lightweight bucket seats. It's pretty wild to think that of all of the possibilities of how to build a 918 this is thus far the only to surface that is a twin to the most famous 918 in history that did the 6:57 at the Nuhrburgring driven by Marc Lieb. Our car was tested by racing legend Hurley Haywood as disclosed on the sticker on the windshield and further adds to its provenance. If you look at other cars that are worth the most in the future they are ALWAYS the ones that focus on performance options not the fluff. This is that car, it's a best of the best, one of one example and as far as we know the only true 918 lightweight produced for the US market. Click here to watch Marc Lieb at the Nuhrburgring in the twin to this car

i think matte is way sexier than clear wrap. it's absolutely stunning in matte black.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

i think matte is way sexier than clear wrap. it's absolutely stunning in matte black.

clear wrap with bare carbon fiber sets itself apart

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

clear wrap with bare carbon fiber sets itself apart 

ok matte carbon fiber. i can die happy then

huh, apparently there's such thing as a porsche 968. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5326179364.html

explain how jeremy clarkson picked one up for cheap, albeit beaten up.

I haven't seen one less than $4000. 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

question of the Day: MKIII Supra vs. Porsche 944 vs 2nd Gen RX-7.

That's a tough one...

but I'm going to say Gen2 RX7... because rotary...

huh, apparently there's such thing as a porsche 968. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5326179364.html

yep small production numbers means there are very few of them but not very collectible and they are in the pit time frame where they have gone down in price but haven't gone back up. all of these factors mean they are pretty cheap 

I haven't seen one less than $4000. 

the closest to 4 grand. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5358422045.html

What car do you think a young/new driver should get? Just whatever reliable shitbox they can get their hands on?

What car do you think a young/new driver should get? Just whatever reliable shitbox they can get their hands on?

one that is safe, reliable, easy to fix, cheap, and fun to drive too. no teen wants to drive a car that's boring as hell, impossible to fix even the simplest of issues, and feels like shit to drive.

The slowest piece of shit good scoring euro ncap econobox

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

well, looks like im going to be going with an ls out of a 2001 camaro along with a t56 6 speed.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

The Chiron reminds me to much of a 4th Gen Prelude in the front. Honestly.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

i have been relitivly silent on this thread for a few days because i have been driving up to parrents house bringing stuff like my computer anyway on the way up their (using the g37) i saw a viper (sorry for the bad pics couldn't catch up to it as i was turning at the next exit)

attachicon.gifIMG_4324.JPG

Ew.  :wacko:

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Depends on your interests and needs, but here are few guidelines:

-make sure its cheap to insure, start the search at 20 years old and you will have quite a lot to choose from

-do not spend more than $5000 (U.S.) and spend no less than $1000, this will get you into heavily used, yet highly reliable motoring

-when it comes to engines, make sure the cars you are looking at were widely popular at some point OR share a ton of parts with a common car

Beyond that, just make sure it isn't too rusty, the tires are good, and the trasmission actually shifts.

As an example, my first car was a GM J-body I got for $1200, but any Honda with a D-series engine, any 4 banger Mazda, and any Ford with a modular V8 will be pretty good to you.

ALSO: I would suggest buying a 4 or 5 speed stick-shift, they don't break down as often and it can tell you more about how the car is acting... plus they are a riot in lightweight cars.

Try looking for something you personally find interesting... and don't forget to do a test drive...

also keep in mind what @dafiltafish said...

Edit:

montero-sport-main.jpg

New Montero Sport looks good... except for the tail...

Also took a look at the 2016 Toyota Hilux pickup... It wasn't bad, but I would've wanted it more if it had independent suspension instead of the old-school leaf springs for the rear suspension...

montero-sport-main06.jpg

No it's never fine. There's lines for a reason. Park straight. Only reason I could excuse it is if there is not a soul at the place your parking. Even then it still bugs me

I've taken up six spots at Walmart before. :ph34r:

one that is safe, reliable, easy to fix, cheap, and fun to drive too. no teen wants to drive a car that's boring as hell, impossible to fix even the simplest of issues, and feels like shit to drive.

Honestly any car can be fun to drive almost no matter what it is.

I've taken up six spots at Walmart before. :ph34r:

Honestly any car can be fun to drive almost no matter what it is.

I'm going to assume here that you were driving something bigger than your average vehicle when you took up 6 spots...

I'm going to assume here that you were driving something bigger than your average vehicle when you took up 6 spots...

I also parked like this:

post-1744-0-77884900-1450532130.png

There's literally no one at Walmart at 3 am so I said fuck it and just parked where I was driving through.

I also parked like this:

attachicon.gifparking.png

There's literally no one at Walmart at 3 am so I said fuck it and just parked where I was driving through.

Good point...

Did you practice your burnouts and drifts too?

Edit:

Why dafuq is Walmart open at 3am? Is this an American thing??

Good point...

Did you practice your burnouts and drifts too?

Edit:

Why dafuq is Walmart open at 3am? Is this an American thing??

Nah, rather get newer tires before doing that, so no. :P And yeah, Walmart is open 24/7 depending if it's a regular store, I think the neighborhood ones are closed.