Lunch with my CIO

Creekwater X

So at work I got a call from my CIO saying he wanted to take me to lunch tomorrow and I'm not sure what to talk about that would take up an hour of time. The only thing I could think of is why leased computers vs owned but I'm kinda freaking out. I'm not very high on the totem pole so I'm not used to these kinds of things...

3 hours ago, Creekwater X said:

-

Best to talk about Sports and ease into shop talk.

Superbowl is a good starter! Teams, half time band.

Family is good too

Cars

Easy, just pretend to be sick that day.   :ph34r:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Talking about how bad or good the weather is already a conversation starter but don't spend too much time talking about it.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

10 hours ago, Creekwater X said:

So at work I got a call from my CIO saying he wanted to take me to lunch tomorrow and I'm not sure what to talk about that would take up an hour of time. The only thing I could think of is why leased computers vs owned but I'm kinda freaking out. I'm not very high on the totem pole so I'm not used to these kinds of things...

I would start with small talk. Give him the opportunity to lead the conversation, but if he lets you take the lead, start with some basics, ask him about himself - maybe see what his hobbies are, etc. See if there's anything you two both enjoy - talk about that.

Once you've warmed him up a bit, then if you wish, sure, talk about Leasing vs Buying computers (Do you lease computers?)

Leasing can be beneficial, if the company requires new computers frequently. It can be cheaper to lease them for a few years rather than buying new in the same time frame. And selling large bulk units of old computers is time intensive and often difficult for a business, unless you have some arrangement pre-setup with a company that will buy them off you every time.

4 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

He called you to have lunch. He knows what he wants to talk about.

I'd tend to agree with this. If your CIO calls you to lunch, and you aren't friends with him, nor are you a highly placed employee?

He's calling you to talk about something specific.

It's probably a good thing. A CIO won't call someone to lunch to fire them. Way too much work. No. More likely, you're getting a promotion, transfer, or some other "beneficial" thing. Perhaps he has a project he wants you to work on, etc.

This is a great opportunity to bond with the CIO, and, if he does indeed offer you something, to impress him with the results.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yup. If he's asking you to tackle some new work challenge, do your very best to knock it out of the park ahead of schedule and under budget (not sure what your field is, so generic advice).

He knows what he wants to talk about since he's inviting you to lunch (is it a solo or group lunch? Don't ask around in case it's solo).

It could also be something simple, like he recently joined the company in the CIO role and wants to meet his team.

This is an excellent opportunity for you! Let him lead the conversation and let it flow naturally rather than force topics in. Unless it's specifically related to your respective positions, I wouldn't try to debate or engage him on leasing v buying computers (sounds as interesting to me as leasing vs buying office furniture). This is an opportunity to meet with the CIO and for each of you to gain an understanding of what the other does and who they are, and most importantly for you to make a good impression in his mind (i.e., put effort into your appearance). Hobbies, sports, cars, family, outside interests, etc are all great lunchtime fodder. Gaming might be a good topic, if its a shared interest, but don't go PCMR or anti-Mac fanboy on your CIO. As an example-- talking FPS in Battlefield and how your 2ms 144Hz monitor is too slow for your reflexes will make you sound like a boor, because nobody cares. Or, in my case, enthusiastically gushing about cars and racing is a problem. Essentially, don't talk details unless prodded, because they probably are not interested in them.

Basically don't talk about things that will come off poorly and just be present in and enjoy a good conversation.

Don't shittalk people, policies, or programs

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

CIO

Chief Information Officer

Chief Internet Officer

There has to be a reason why he's taking you out to lunch.  Anyway just be yourself.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

It could be a test, to see if he wants to promote you, see how you really are as a person. Order ONE beer make it last an hour! If the convo stalls, hit the shitter for a recess to gather your thoughts, dont be more then 8 minutes in the washroom. Read over your prep notes, do some homework and see what you can pull up on him for info on the interweb. He could be on Faceplant posting pictures and typing what he eat everyday for supper. That is primo info. Maybe he is posting pictures of his offspring, maybe at a soccer game, maybe family trips. For the convo, if he is into Mustangs just say your brother has a Mustang, dont be too creepy and say you looked at his FB page. Act like its a coincidence.

Ended out pretty great! What was supposed to be a 45 min lunch turned into an hour and a half. Talked about many things such as vacations and light stuff like that. Then we talked about different products that the company was looking into and the possibility of expansion for the offices. Streamlining workflows and ticking system. And he also told me some of the mistakes he's made and that I just need to keep plodding along through college because it does make a resume look a lot better for any future opportunities that come up.

On 1/25/2018 at 11:54 PM, Creekwater X said:

I'm a day late and a dollar short, but I imagine that he had something specific he wanted to talk about, or some "test" that he wanted to run on you. Unless it's an absolutely tiny company, he probably doesn't do that just for fun.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME