Nvidia asks retailers to stop selling gpu's to miners

sarfraz

You have to think AMD is not pleased.... Zen refresh release in the spring and no video cards on the market leads to flat sales. If only AMD had a company that could produce graphics cards....

2 hours ago, Canada EH said:

yeah but you could just say, I am putting these in SLI

Or the customer just brings along his friends and family.

Back in September, Microcenter tried a system where they would let you buy up to two cards at the normal price, but once you went to three cards or more, the price would skyrocket to over ten thousand USD. I have no idea if their little experiment even worked, but clearly they were trying to find a way to thwart miners while still accommodating those who wanted to buy cards for SLI/Crossfire. 

My PC:

• Asus Prime-B350 Plus. Ryzen 7 1700Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400. EVGA GTX 1070 SC
  • 256GB SSD/ 3TB HDD. Corsair CX650M. CoolerMaster Masterliquid Lite 120. Fractal Design Meshify C
  • Reidea KM06. Redragon M601. LG 34UM67-P. Arion Legacy AR504LR-BKMass Drop AKG M220 Pro                                                              

27 minutes ago, mondestine said:

Back in September, Microcenter tried a system where they would let you buy up to two cards at the normal price, but once you went to three cards or more, the price would skyrocket to over ten thousand USD. I have no idea if their little experiment even worked, but clearly they were trying to find a way to thwart miners while still accommodating those who wanted to buy cards for SLI/Crossfire. 

Damn that's hardcore Microcenter. Respect.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

55 minutes ago, mondestine said:

It did. And yesterday we tweaked the formula again so they can't send in multiple people with different addresses to obtain cards. Can't reveal details, but it worked flawlessly on day one :)
Edit: At least, my store did. Can't speak for all locations.

4 hours ago, Canada EH said:

yeah but you could just say, I am putting these in SLI

Or the customer just brings along his friends and family.

Again it is FAKE NEWS!

Nvidia no longer officially supports SLI.

Therefore selling more than 1 GPU per person is a bad idea.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

You could even say you are a video graphics company weddings blah blah blah blah, $5 in business cards.

You can't prevent miners from buying GPUs if they don't reveal themselves as miners.

source.gif

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Wont make a bit of different to small scale miners (say, fewer than 50 GPUs). Even if they restrict to two cards, just buy from multiple retailers, and get your friends to help if needed.

The bigger problem for miners is exactly the same problem for gamers - there aren't enough cards to be sold in the first place.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 hours ago, Canada EH said:

How do they know who is a miner and who is not a miner?

It is just FAKE NEWS!

Someone is going to get in trouble refusing to so cards to minors....

They're likely responding to pressure from the publishers as I was calling out earlier. But I agree it's token at best, just them dragging their feat to appease the game publishers but since this will fix fuck-all they'll have to get ready to something a bit more effective and creative but you might need to wait a handful of weeks for that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Suuuure... We only need 1 shop to ignore this rule to start a chain reaction. I mean if you are stupid enough to enforce this rule and see competitors selling the exact same thing as you for a much bigger profit, who is going to be so stupid to stick with the rule? It's the business world, not a charity.

There are shops out there enforcing the max 2 cards per person rule, but stuff is still out-of-stock basically everywhere so even tho the idea of the rule is nice. It doesn't seem to do much...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

8 hours ago, sarfraz said:

This news is good for gamers. 

Boris Böhles – NVIDIA ( Translated from German to English )
For NVIDIA, gamers come first. All activities related to our GeForce product line are targeted at our main audience. To ensure that GeForce gamers continue to have good GeForce graphics card availability in the current situation, we recommend that our trading partners make the appropriate arrangements to meet gamers’ needs as usual. 

Complete article:- https://wccftech.com/nvidia-instructs-retailers-stop-selling-miners-sell-gamers/

The key word is recommend

It's not required , it's not insist , it's not force ... it's basically "pretty please sell to gamers first" ... so basically nothing, just a PR message.

Well as many above have stated this won't actually do anything as you can't determine who is a miner and who isn't, however to those that think Nvidia wants miner sales long term, absolutely not miners are notorious for returns and flooding the market with used parts, essentially selling to miners sacrifices future profits, increases warranty claim potential, and ultimately isn't worth the extra short term gains.

To those who actually want to end mining, bad mouth crypto currencies, spread lies of an impending crash etc, the only way to end mining is to kill its profit potential.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

9 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Yeah that didn't exactly work the last time retailers tried it.

Did any one read the whole article?

9 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Yeah that didn't exactly work the last time retailers tried it.

Now Micro center will only allow you to buy one and I think they are keeping track of who buys one.

Just now, yoshiii said:

Did any one read the whole article?

Does it really matter? Retailers can't realistically differentiate a gamer, a miner, and someone that wants an expensive coaster, nor do they care.

Nvidia knows this. They know that nothing will change, except the opinions of stupid people.

1 minute ago, yoshiii said:

Now Micro center will only allow you to buy one and I think they are keeping track of who buys one.

Unless they're doing extremely illegal and invasive shit, it's easy to work around it: because what Microcenter is doing, many retailers have been doing, only difference is that MC is only letting one out at a time, not two.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 hours ago, Rune said:

Not from us, I think. at the very least, not in a way they will like ;) It's a bit convoluted how things are set up...but it's working quite well. Oh well.

Micro Center?

6 hours ago, Rune said:

It did. And yesterday we tweaked the formula again so they can't send in multiple people with different addresses to obtain cards. Can't reveal details, but it worked flawlessly on day one :)
Edit: At least, my store did. Can't speak for all locations.

Now Micro Center needs to lower the prices back down to what it was three days ago.

15 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Does it really matter? Retailers can't realistically differentiate a gamer, a miner, and someone that wants an expensive coaster, nor do they care.

Nvidia knows this. They know that nothing will change, except the opinions of stupid people.

Unless they're doing extremely illegal and invasive shit, it's easy to work around it: because what Microcenter is doing, many retailers have been doing, only difference is that MC is only letting one out at a time, not two.

Saw yesterday, they refused a sell to a guy who tried to buy a card.

10 hours ago, Hiya! said:

The problem is.

How did u knew which are miner and which are not?

if they buy 20 rx580's it's pretty clear

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

1 minute ago, Armakar said:

1.They could buy from another store

2.They can bring their friends

3.Use amazon or newegg which wont have that limitation

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

2 hours ago, Armakar said:

Yeah... Few individual people have uses for 20 RX 580's. Unless they are not gaming on them. And if the intention from the suppliers is to sell them to gamer's, well then...

2 hours ago, Hiya! said:

1.They could buy from another store

2.They can bring their friends

3.Use amazon or newegg which wont have that limitation

The point is MicroCenter is showing that they are strictly for the gamers. Not the miners. It's actually doing something about the problem rather then getting rich off it.