Nvidia asks retailers to stop selling gpu's to miners

sarfraz
1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Until next week.

I'll let you know how it goes. As one of the seemingly last places in the universe that has GPUs at original msrp (vega excluded) we still have a lot of people interested in doing builds with us :P

1 minute ago, Derangel said:

Umm, no it isn't. Its a PR stunt, but let's not bring retarded bullshit like "fake news" into things. Political bullshit does not belong.

It used to be called 'Hype' or 'BS'. Same thing just different wording.

Just now, Canada EH said:

Look Fake News is Fake News, we are not talking about politics here, we are talking about a company throwing out nonsense.

Yes, it is. The whole "fake news" bullshit is 100% political. It was started because of orange fucktard. Even divorced from him it still is a factually incorrect term. Fake news would be a news report that is fake. Not a stupid PR stunt. At least use the bullshit term correctly.

4 minutes ago, Clem Fandango said:

You got that right!

Fake News is News that is fake, just so you know. People like Paris Hilton and the Kardasians are famous for Fake News most if not all Celebs produce fake news to get their name out there, its free advertising, which is exactly what Nvidia is doing. You cant even trust the major news organizations anymore.

Until next week.

They don't have to go into every detail, but legally, Nvidia can't fudge the numbers that they publish.

Perhaps cause i dont have any depth knowledge about it but this whole act is nothing but a PR stunts which as u said before.

and Dizmo missed u.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

1 minute ago, Rune said:

I'll let you know how it goes. As one of the seemingly last places in the universe that has GPUs at original msrp (vega excluded) we still have a lot of people interested in doing builds with us :P

Ultimately, what's going to happen is miners will continue to mine, they'll continue to buy GPUs from where ever they want, even if it means shenanigans with countermeasures stores set up.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Clem Fandango said:

Not really. Fake news is literally news that is fake. It would be a news report that is made up or factually inaccurate to the point where anything in it is dubious at best. Bringing the bs term into things just makes it political because is it a political term used by people to try and make a  news article seem untrustworthy,  regardless of the actual content of the article.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Ultimately, what's going to happen is miners will continue to mine, they'll continue to buy GPUs from where ever they want, even if it means shenanigans with countermeasures stores set up.

Not from us, I think. at the very least, not in a way they will like ;) It's a bit convoluted how things are set up...but it's working quite well. Oh well.

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Fake News is not a political term, not at all.

Yes, it is. That is how it has been used since 2016. When someone screams fake news at something they are referencing the political use of the term that came about during the election cycle.

1 minute ago, Rune said:

Not from us, I think. at the very least, not in a way they will like ;) It's a bit convoluted how things are set up...but it's working quite well. Oh well.

Not en masse, but Microcenter is also an in-store only franchise and not that wide spread. What ever MC is doing is going to be as effective as my local PC parts store being a purely local PC parts store.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Not en masse, but Microcenter is also an in-store only franchise and not that wide spread. What ever MC is doing is going to be as effective as my local PC parts store being a purely local PC parts store.

Accurate :( but at least we will have some for people near us.

3 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Yes, it is. That is how it has been used since 2016. When someone screams fake news at something they are referencing the political use of the term that came about during the election cycle.

Its gone way beyond that now, the term has grown into something more, that is factually correct, it is 100% correct. Term used when news is fake or spun to suit the editors or the owners mission. Whether is 100% BS or 50% BS. Yahoo is famous for that.

3 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Not really. Fake news is literally news that is fake. It would be a news report that is made up or factually inaccurate to the point where anything in it is dubious at best. Bringing the bs term into things just makes it political because is it a political term used by people to try and make a  news article seem untrustworthy,  regardless of the actual content of the article.

It could well be fake. Unless I see a press release from NVIDIA stating what the OP says it will remain just that, 'Fake news'

Or Hype, or BS.

Just good PR to say they have been on the gamer's side if crypto currency fails.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

Just good PR to say they have been on the gamer's side if crypto currency fails.

People can see through the lies though.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

Its gone way beyond that now, the term has grown into something more, that is factually correct, it is 100% correct. Term used when news is fake or spun to suit the editors or the owners mission.

Fine, fine. I'll drop it.

Anyway, I noticed something. WCCF is saying that this comes from Germany. So it might be something specific to German retailers. Which actually might make it slightly easier to enforce, at least for miners buying from German retailers.

I saw a few small ASIC cards that use USB and a fan ontop.

I still wonder why the pcb cant be copied.

I've asked the question before, and its a flat out NO you cant copy it.

Graphics cards I can understand, way too much real estate. Probably a few programmed chips.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

From a business standpoint, this is fucking stupid, for a few reasons.

The most of which is that they're denying sales to a market that also has a use for GPUs.

Not only that but it's a market that's willing to pay much more for the same product.

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

How do they know who is a miner and who is not a miner?

It is just FAKE NEWS!

This was my first thought.  I can't imagine how they will possibly ensure that they are only sold to gamers, especially since miners would probably go to much greater lengths to try and get around any restrictions.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Not only that but it's a market that's willing to pay much more for the same product.

Even if price didn't change, retailers are going to pounce to sell every single one that they can just to not have stock taking up space later, and profit more once the initial investment in product is paid for.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

From a business standpoint, this is fucking stupid, for a few reasons.

The most of which is that they're denying sales to a market that also has a use for GPUs.

Let me fix this. From A business standpoint its fucking stupid for retailers. 

AMD and Nvidia are not getting the extra money. Retailers are the ones raising the prices. AMD and Nvidia are most likely still charging the same amount they have always charged retailers. The reason why Nvidia is responding this way, is their reputation is going to shit. Its not people saying Damn best buy, new egg and amazon over these prices. Every one is blaming the GPU manufactures. The fact is, they aint going to build new factories because Cryto currencies is a crock of shit and is too volatile for them to trust that it will be here in the near future. With what South Korea, China and Brazil have been doing the last week or so. 

At the end of the day they have gamer's and miners. Who do you think is the most stable purchasers out of that group? Id say gamer's. Because what happens when the who crypto currency thing crashes big? All though people are going to stop buying cards. By gamer's not getting cards, they then look for alternatives. PC is not the only gaming platform, hell I recently picked up a Switch, with Zelda and Mario. While Nvidia makes the Tegra CPU for that, I guarantee they make more money on graphics cards. They are trying to not piss off the PC gamer's any more. 

But there are no way that retailers can reasonably stop miners from buying cards. Because the decade of customer service experience I have says people lie. Plus unless they are planing on taking down peoples ID numbers and having a data base, they cant stop people from going to multiple stores and buying a shit load of cards. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

What are you talking about?  Gaming is literally 50% of nVidia's revenue:

"Gaming" in that table means Geforce. It includes cards the miners don't buy anyway, and it includes the Geforce cards bought by miners.

It doesn't provide a precise picture of the contribution of gamers who buy cards useful for mining.