Nvidia asks retailers to stop selling gpu's to miners

sarfraz

It's not as hard as people are making it out to be i'm 100% possitive if nvidia/amd didn't want them buying the gpu's they could apply protection protocols on the hardware against mining with there cards since there used in way different fashion then say gaming it wouldn't be so difficult to do just have a protected chip designed to detect for hashes being produced and embed more software detection at the driver level But it would require addional design considerations.

I agree with Nvidia’s decision because of the increase of the need for more powerful graphics cards has the crypto currency miners buying all the graphics cards from 1060 to 1080ti and rx560 to rx580. This is a very big problem for the diy pc community due to resellers and stores only having to increase the price on already expensive variants of those cards. Many graphics card shelves at tech stores such as Fry’s Electronics have become empty. For example, note that the 1060 was going for   $250 when it came out, but now in early 2018 the price has risen to $500 and above. It has doubled in cost because miners buy more than the average consumer and they are prone to buy the cheaper varients of the cards. Nvidia and other graphics card manufacturers are not that efficient in their manufacturing process and can’t keep up with the demands. If we were to each buy one card, the manufacturers would be capable of making more than we need. When miners come into play, and end up buying more than what an average user needs, then the manufacturers can’t keep up. Once the cheap cards have all been bought, the resellers don’t have anything to profit on and end up increasing the price on the expensive cards.

Those miners usually will start selling their old gpus one year from now before price drops back to the normal market value while buying up all the newest cards to replace them. Sucks for the gamers 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Why doesn't NVidia just make cards which are bad for mining?

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

6 minutes ago, minervx said:

According to Jayztwocents its because the same technology build in to cards that makes them good for mining, is also used by content creators for Video encoding and such. So any one who uses a PC for gaming and video editing would be screwed. As the next step for them would be to buy expensive cards like the quadro series. So you would say to screw any one who is a PC gamer/Video creator? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

According to Jayztwocents its because the same technology build in to cards that makes them good for mining, is also used by content creators for Video encoding and such. So any one who uses a PC for gaming and video editing would be screwed. As the next step for them would be to buy expensive cards like the quadro series. So you would say to screw any one who is a PC gamer/Video creator? 

the crypto industry will only grow from hereon out for the next several years.  there is no quick weight loss pill solution.  the only answer is for nvidia, amd and GPU manufacturers to double their staff count and produce new GPU's.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Just now, minervx said:

the crypto industry will only grow from hereon out for the next several years.  there is no easy answer.  the only solution is for nvidia, amd and GPU manufacturers to double their staff count and produce new GPU's.

Not going to happen. Crypto currency is too unstable. Without knowing how governments are going to treat it, its hard for them to make millions, tens of millions or even hundreds of millions of dollars worth of investment. As they are a business not a charity. The only certainty for GPU manufactures is gamer's and professionals. They are not going to make an investment in to something that is not a guarantee to be around for a long while. 

4 hours ago, Ddarlington36 said:

It's not as hard as people are making it out to be i'm 100% possitive if nvidia/amd didn't want them buying the gpu's they could apply protection protocols on the hardware against mining with there cards since there used in way different fashion then say gaming it wouldn't be so difficult to do just have a protected chip designed to detect for hashes being produced and embed more software detection at the driver level But it would require addional design considerations.

I really wish people stop pushing that idea.

I be pissed off if the cards could only do gaming since I do F@H/BOINC and don't use my cards for gaming much.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Not going to happen. Crypto currency is too unstable. Without knowing how governments are going to treat it, its hard for them to make millions, tens of millions or even hundreds of millions of dollars worth of investment. As they are a business not a charity. The only certainty for GPU manufactures is gamer's and professionals. They are not going to make an investment in to something that is not a guarantee to be around for a long while. 

People have been declaring the end of cryptocurrencies for the past 8 years due to its "instability", yet it keeps growing and its market cap (as an international currency) is still very low.  There is a very considerable chance that crypto mining could be around for the next 10 years, and that simply waiting for this craze to end will only result in more missed profits and more angry customers who will just switch to consoles at some point.

1 hour ago, NQSD said:

Some manufacturers are now making graphics card only for mining. Such as this Asus card:

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/MINING-P106-6G/

Although this card is old they tried for another go at mining cards. Such as this card:

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/MINING-RX470-4G/

It's a guns vs butter issues.  The issue is the shortage of GPU's - not in mining cards.  GPU's are scarce.  Fans, circuit boards, soldered metals and heatsinks are not.  Creating more mining cards, in a stagnant supply of GPU's will only result in less for gamers/professionals.

27 minutes ago, minervx said:

People have been declaring the end of cryptocurrencies for the past 8 years due to its "instability", yet it keeps growing and its market cap (as an international currency) is still very low.  There is a very considerable chance that crypto mining could be around for the next 10 years, and that simply waiting for this craze to end will only result in more missed profits and more angry customers who will just switch to consoles at some point.

Yes but if they invest hundreds of millions in new factories and then governments shut down all the exchanges, then what? If you cant turn the coins in to cold hard cash, then they will loose appeal. Until they know what world governments are going to do, they aint going to just waste a shit ton of money. Because as much as the market might rebound, the rumors of government bans is also going to continue, while governments decide what they want to do with crytpo currency. Just because its all good in the US now, doesnt mean it will always be that way. I mean the Government is investigated 3 exchanges right now for fraud. If the government feels that fraud and criminal activity is an issue, they could outlaw the exchange of bit coins any other crypto currency for goods and exchange for money. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Yes but if they invest hundreds of millions in new factories and then governments shut down all the exchanges, then what? If you cant turn the coins in to cold hard cash, then they will loose appeal. Until they know what world governments are going to do, they aint going to just waste a shit ton of money. Because as much as the market might rebound, the rumors of government bans is also going to continue, while governments decide what they want to do with crytpo currency. Just because its all good in the US now, doesnt mean it will always be that way. I mean the Government is investigated 3 exchanges right now for fraud. If the government feels that fraud and criminal activity is an issue, they could outlaw the exchange of bit coins any other crypto currency for goods and exchange for money. 

This is a matter of politics - not technology.  Many people make political predictions based on headlines and feelings, but 99% of them never come true.  

Could crypto's possibly be banned or severely hindered by laws?  Sure.  But GPU manufacturers betting entirely on the fact that this will happen in the near future is ridiculous.  What if these laws come out in 5-10 years?  Do we go an entire decade devoid of meaningful improvements in graphical technology?

7 minutes ago, minervx said:

5-10 years

I more worried about what happens in the next year or two. 3 more years of Donald Trump, we might not be around in 5 to 10 years. Also, you have to remember, shareholders only think about the short term, the next quarter, the next year. Especially here in the US. Most US shareholders are short sighted, that goes for the companies as well. 

10 minutes ago, minervx said:

entire decade devoid of meaningful improvements in graphical technology

First of all I was talking production, not R&D. They are different. They will continue with what ever plans they have in the pipe line. The fact is production is a whole other issue. Firstly, there is a DRAM shortage, that include GDDR memory used in cards. So what if they cant get enough RAM? Plus, Nvida might have looked at the cost of a new factory and feels in not in the cards. Its not just the initial investment, they have labor costs, machinery cost, rent, utilities and such. You have to calculate all of that. What if they have issue find employees? That is a real concern in some industries. They might not consider doing so. Another issue is where to build these said factories. Not every nation has the expertise they might need. Or might not have the resources they need.  Even if Nvidia did build new factories, what about the AIB partners? Most of these companies are publicly traded. You know what that means? The shareholders are who matters. Shareholder OWN the company thru the purchase of stock. So these companies could have their hands tied. 

A business can not just go out an expand. Its not that simple. They have costs to consider. They have to be for sure they can recoup the money spend in a reasonable time. They have to make their shareholders happy. That means making profit and increasing the stock price. Plus, where do they get the money to expand? You can just say profit, because they may not make enough to cover an expansion. So either they have to sell a shit more stock, or have to get bonds. With bonds comes interest payments which hurts the bottom line. 

10 hours ago, Orangeator said:

The point is MicroCenter is showing that they are strictly for the gamers. Not the miners. It's actually doing something about the problem rather then getting rich off it.

But its impossible to apply it in real life

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Saw today at Micro Center, as a previous poster said, you do have to buy a system build to beable to buy a GPU at the non high prices.

14 hours ago, yoshiii said:

Saw today at Micro Center, as a previous poster said, you do have to buy a system build to beable to buy a GPU at the non high prices.

That doesn't seem like a miner thing at all.

Just seems like they want you to only purchase from them..

I would've just limited it to 2 per customer or something.

22 hours ago, minervx said:

Because that means making them bad for literally everything. Different cryptos use the GPUs and resources in different ways.

On 1/20/2018 at 12:24 PM, Ddarlington36 said:

It's not as hard as people are making it out to be

It is impossible to not sell to miners. Not without pushing away every other one of ypur customers as well.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I don't understand why both companies just make a new devision for those people? Dedicate a GPU to "mining". There is a market for it now. 

They're have Fire and Quadro cards for us in CAD. They could do the same, no? They could make a quick buck before the whole mining industry eventually goes under. 

33 minutes ago, Rodinski said:

I don't understand why both companies just make a new devision for those people? Dedicate a GPU to "mining". There is a market for it now. 

They're have Fire and Quadro cards for us in CAD. They could do the same, no? They could make a quick buck before the whole mining industry eventually goes under. 

Te fact is, they dont have the capacity at the factory. Thats what the issue is, they cant produce enough GPU's. On top of the RAM shortage. It doesnt matter if they make "Mining" cards, if they cant produce enough of them. Hell ASUS has cards that are for mining, its not helping as too many people need GPU's and there is not enough to go around. 

1 hour ago, Rodinski said:

Except, beyond Xfire, SLI, and compute tasks, they have zero resale value. Including those three things, they're not going to go for as much as cards with display outs, because Xfire and SLI are becoming even less common, and one would need in iGP or a second GFX card for the latter.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

this forum is so dumb

you people: Miners are killing the gaming and GPU market, everything is so expensive, they should prevent miners from buying (so many) cards

this thread: Bullshit, this is all a PR stunt, fuck you NVidia

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I can see this driving up the prices even further. If GPUs are even harder to attain, then it will justify selling them at an even higher price on eBay or what have you. Also, retailers who don't agree to NVIDIA's plea will be able to sell at a higher price since there won't be as many options out there (should other retailers comply that is)

16 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

this forum is so dumb

you people: Miners are killing the gaming and GPU market, everything is so expensive, they should prevent miners from buying (so many) cards

this thread: Bullshit, this is all a PR stunt, fuck you NVidia

Its not a PR stunt. They physically cant meet demand for GPU"s. AIB are at capacity as well. Plus there is a RAM shortage. Last I knew video cards have RAM on them. This is what happens when demand increases by a great amount but supply stays the same. Its not Nvidia causing a shortage when the FAB producing GPU's is poping the fuckers out as fast as it can. 

Also retailers are more to blame because they are the ones who set the price. MSRP (Manufactures suggested Retail Price) not the price that retailers have to sell it at. Retailers are responding to the demand. As I explained in an earlier post, there are reasons why Nvidia and AIB's may not build new plants as crypto currency is too unstable.