Why the lack of properly implemented USB Type-C connectors on cases?

Well just like the title says, why don't we have proper implementations of USB type-C in cases?

I mean if you look at the cases from CES videos that all the tech youtubers posted, almost all of them either don't have type-c or if they do it's clear that they just replaced type A and put a type-C there. It was never designed for type-c.

Now I get that it takes time to design a case and build a prototype and then re-design etc. etc. etc., but type-c was released in like what 2014 or 2015, something like that yet it's clear that only the cases that will be released in late 2018 or 2019 will actually proper implementation of that connector.

So why so late?

7 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Well just like the title says, why don't we have proper implementations of USB type-C in cases?

I mean if you look at the cases from CES videos that all the tech youtubers posted, almost all of them either don't have type-c or if they do it's clear that they just replaced type A and put a type-C there. It was never designed for type-c.

Now I get that it takes time to design a case and build a prototype and then re-design etc. etc. etc., but type-c was released in like what 2014 or 2015, something like that yet it's clear that only the cases that will be released in late 2018 or 2019 will actually proper implementation of that connector.

So why so late?

USB-C support on motherboards on the AMD side took until 2017. Idk about Intel but I think Intel started supporting it on Mobos in like 2016.

Before that, there were simply no USB-C micro-controllers in motherboard chipsets.

And even in 2017 on the AMD CPU side, USB-C is an afterthought and users only get 1-2 USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 ports and 1-2 USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 ports.

Ouch. The motherboard OEMs need to give us a 50/50 split on USB-A and USB-C ports.

It doesn't help that Peripheral OEMs for gaming mice and keyboards still don't use USB-C to USB-C for cables.

And external HDDs for the most part still use USB-A to Micro-USB 3.0 .

Even my OnePlus 3 uses a USB-C to USB-A cable rather than a USB-C to USB-C cable.

The industry is just not picking it up as quickly as they should be.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Yeah at the moment there isnt enough stuff that uses usb-c for it to take priority over type A, maybe in like 5 years everything will be type c but even then it will probably be a 2-2 split of type c and type A on front panels.

System Specs

CPU: I7-5820k   MOBO:Asus X99 strix   RAM: 32gb corsair Dominator Platinum 2666mhz   GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980TI  PSU: Corsair RM1000i 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mg7k2R

The new lian li O11 has one

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Obligatory post by the Apple shill*

imac-gallery4-201706.jpg.e3232b651e9193632045bb8bfcf34cf8.jpg

its just a joke pls dont quote me

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Obligatory post by the Apple shill*

imac-gallery4-201706.jpg.e3232b651e9193632045bb8bfcf34cf8.jpg

its just a joke pls dont quote me

I was actually surprised to find a wealth of tb2 ports on my grandma's imac.  

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

6 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I was actually surprised to find a wealth of tb2 ports on my grandma's imac.  

Apple either does spectacular with io, or they decide you're not using it right if you need to plug anything in so they don't give you any. 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

38 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

snip

imp.thumb.PNG.7acbfa3430c8781e963df646d5a544da.PNG

Look at that beautiful port equality. 10/10 2017. No Port Discrimination.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

As you probably noticed, on nearly all computer cases, the case hole opening for the USB ports is always larger than the USB port itself, exposing the ugly casing of the port. This is because the USB plug placement can be a a mm to the left, or right, or up or down. And this is due that they get generic parts from China, and not actually make them themselves.

Ls3vT.png

Look at the picture of the iMac on the previous post, or bellow this paragraph, or look at the Razer laptop, or Dell premium systems, or Surface laptop. You'll notice that USB ports are precision cut, making the device look nicer,  This is because they manufacture everything, so they know the measurements exactly. Heck, Apple and Microsoft goes a step beyond, they dye case the metal enclosure of the USB port matching the system color, just so that you see them less, including the plastic bit inside. Look bellow, you barely see the USB casing, but if you zoom in, and pay close attention, you see it. It is there. It just matches the case color.

SurfacePro3__DSC5964.jpg

macbook-pro-4-thunderbolt-ports.jpg?qual

The end results, pays off.

So basically, until some generic UBS port hub for cases and panels manufacture in China starts putting USB Type-C, you won't have it, as the case manufactures are too cheap (ie: they want to maximize profits. So producing their own, will cost a lot more than getting it from China).

You;ll notice, maybe next year, if the these few Chinese manufacture decides to put Type-C, that nearly ALL case manufactures will have, by magic, and in perfect coincidence. This was the same story with USB 3.0. No case manufacture had it (with some exceptions, where some just implemented, what is basically a USB 3.0 extension cord, and not a proper motherboard header), there was devices for it, but nope, still no case with it. Then at one CES, pretty much all came on stage with USB 3.0, like they all talked about implementing it last year, and agreed that they need to put it together for some reason. But that is obviously not the case, they don't talk between each other. The reality, is that the generic USB port modules manufacture that they deal with started to make it, so that they can get it and implement it.

This is also why you see the SAME design flaws between cases on most cases. For example, the common design flaw is that the headphone plug at the front of the case has serious interference passing through. The audio is nice from the back, but terrible on the front. Done on the cheap, the Chinese manufacture uses the USB common ground (which is also ground the case) for the ground pin of the headphone plug instead of using a dedicated ground wire that connected to the sound card. You'll see a lot of mods online showing you how to correct the problem (and the mod is identical for almost all cases).

And this is why I can't get myself to spend a lot of money on a case... the case manufacture cut corner everywhere. Little to no attention to details. A 200$ case, probably cost 30$ at most. Maybe now 50-60$ as they finally use glass instead of the softest plastic possible for the side panel with window, where just breathing moves the dust particle and scratches the panels... pathetic. They started to use glass because Reviewers got tired and started to mark down cases with panels. Wish they started to do the same with USB ports, especially on the premium cases (budget ones I can understand). I mean you have these wonderful aluminum cases being made these days, but the USB ports sticks up like that picture I showed first on this post. It doesn't fit. Imagine a sweet car you dream to have with all the features you dream to have, but the door handles from shit-old Lada car or whatever, and the price of the car is the same. Yea nice car, but the look is ruined.

Spoiler

car.png.1aa5c1a669eb658f16593f89d72cc646.png

Huh... starting to looks like a Toyota.

Its mostly the motherboard side,Like said amd took a while and only the high end boards have a front one,Most of the cheaper boards have just one in the rear.

I imagine it has to do with power delivery expectations.  While anything over 7.5W isn't "required" to be type-C compliant, people expect it to support 15W.  You can provide the 15W by having a SATA plug into the case's port for power, but then it doesn't work in standby.  Even if you had a more elaborate circuit to power the port in standby, most PSUs wouldn't be able to handle it as they typically only have 2 to 2.5A on that rail.

10 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I imagine it has to do with power delivery expectations.  While anything over 7.5W isn't "required" to be type-C compliant, people expect it to support 15W.  You can provide the 15W by having a SATA plug into the case's port for power, but then it doesn't work in standby.  Even if you had a more elaborate circuit to power the port in standby, most PSUs wouldn't be able to handle it as they typically only have 2 to 2.5A on that rail.

You know I've always wanted to ask you, are you THE JonnyGuru or someone who's using his name?

What ticks me off is I have a gen 2 port onboard and theres nothing out there to use it with, no aftermarket anything I think I found a lian li type c add on but thats it

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

8 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

You know I've always wanted to ask you, are you THE JonnyGuru or someone who's using his name?

He is him but he no longer runs the website that carries his name

8 hours ago, mrbilky said:

What ticks me off is I have a gen 2 port onboard and theres nothing out there to use it with, no aftermarket anything I think I found a lian li type c add on but thats it

Lian li apaha 330 and 550 both have it,Both of the pc 011 remakes will have it.The be quiet dark pro 900 has it.The fractal define r6 thats coming out has it as a 30 dollar upgrade.And i think a seen a thermaltake case on the ces videos that had it.Its mostly brand new cases that get it.Or see if you can find a add on for a odd drive if your case has one.

4 hours ago, andrewmp6 said:

Lian li apaha 330 and 550 both have it,Both of the pc 011 remakes will have it.The be quiet dark pro 900 has it.The fractal define r6 thats coming out has it as a 30 dollar upgrade.And i think a seen a thermaltake case on the ces videos that had it.Its mostly brand new cases that get it.Or see if you can find a add on for a odd drive if your case has one.

That's just it my board has had it for a year now and it is slow to be implemented for options to add on, no cases that I was aware of had it at the time of purchase seems like to board makers and the case people were not communicating

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

Its just somethings switch over fast like pci express 3.0 and sata 3.But when usb 3.0 came out it was just like the type c today kinda rare and seemed like no one cared to make a case with a front one.At the time i found a case with a front usb 3.0 but was the most ghetto way.The case didn't use a normal usb 3.0 header,It just had a long usb cable inside the case that stuck out the back and you plugged up in the rear of the motherboard lol.But i will say with cell phones and a lot things switching over to the type c things should change soon.Look at be quiet they are the only case with the qi charger built in i know of.A samsung monitor has it in the base now.

On 13.1.2018 at 6:20 AM, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Because its expensive.

You need a switch for it to work. ANd that costs money.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"