Etherium tops $1,000 spiking GPU prices again

Seems that once again Cryptocurrency like Etherium is spiking, causing some GPU prices to surge. A quick glance on Newegg, for GTX 1070 or GTX 1070 Ti cards even the RX 580 and RX 480 to some degree, shows many GPUs going for almost double MSRP. This is very unfortunate as it seemed GPU prices were just normalizing somewhat.

PCGamer has written an article about this recent development which seems to cover it in some regard. http://www.pcgamer.com/hang-onto-your-graphics-cards-as-cryptocurrency-mining-spikes-gpus-prices/ 

I was initially tipped off to this on the PCMR subreddit. Showing a local electronics store being completely out of GPUs 

I have found that the site for PassMark benchmarks to show on average the price trends as it tries to find the lowest price cards to compare price/performance.

GTX 1070 https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+1070&id=3521

GTX 1070 TI https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+1070+Ti&id=3842  -noting this cards price shows somewhat closer to normality but observe the big spike recently in the chart.

GTX 1080 https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+1080&id=3502 

Let's hope this calms down quickly for all those who want to build a PC as the RAM price hikes are bad enough right now. 

Edited by spdmnadam

Seems random to me this time, i honestly expect disaster when the replacement for the RX 580 launches...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Was looking for GTX1080 prices just yesterday in Europe... was left with huge disappointment

Bitcoin is going down however, so expect ethereum to follow next week.

oh that makes sense I been seeing them get expensive again

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Seems like Amazon and other resellers were ahead of this. Prices went up so fast. They must be paying attention to the various coin costs now.

1 minute ago, yian88 said:

this is outrageous when will they ban gpus from mining :(  

The same day "they" ban CPUs from gaming or RAM sticks from performing scientific computations. In other words, the dark day when "they" start telling you what you can and can't do with your versatile, general purpose computers.

12 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The same day "they" ban CPUs from gaming or RAM sticks from performing scientific computations. In other words, the dark day when "they" start telling you what you can and can't do with your versatile, general purpose computers.

Well Nvidia already banned gaming cards from servers so I don't think they'll consider it out of the question to do the opposite for consumers and compute.

But not very likely: retailers would be very disappointed if they did since they're making a fucking killing out of the ordeal. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Well Nvidia already banned gaming cards from servers so I don't think they'll consider it out of the question to do the opposite for consumers and compute.

For sure, companies will go out of their way to segment the market. I guess I just wanted to say they don't need our encouragement on top of everything :P 

This really sucks. I thought so called mining cards with no ports would help this price increase to go dowb but nope. 

Having 2x+ increase in price is insane for crucial PC component. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 minute ago, Doobeedoo said:

This really sucks. I thought so called mining cards with no ports would help this price increase to go dowb but nope. 

Having 2x+ increase in price is insane for crucial PC component. 

A GPU is a GPU. If anything those "mining cards" are eating into the video card market supply.

30 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I recall they blocked consumer cards from datacentres, but specifically exempted (thus allowing) mining use in that.

From what I've seen, around mid-December I thought pricing was improving when I grabbed 3x 580 8GB at £260 each. For that amount now you'd be lucky to find a 570 4GB in stock, although I do see a 580 4GB still around...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

A GPU is a GPU. If anything those "mining cards" are eating into the video card market supply.

That's true, it was said it might help though. But in the end no way. 

But something needs happen to mitigate this issue. Increasing supply is only thing I can see for now. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

That's true, it was said it might help though. But in the end no way. 

But something needs happen to mitigate this issue. Increasing supply is only thing I can see for now. 

The only way to mitigate the issue is to figure out why people hold digital currency with such high value to begin with and attack that.

Though the high exchange rates of BTC is starting to make it look less compelling to accept. Like when Valve ditched it.

50 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

But they made an exception specifically for mining, so...

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The only way to mitigate the issue is to figure out why people hold digital currency with such high value to begin with and attack that.

Though the high exchange rates of BTC is starting to make it look less compelling to accept. Like when Valve ditched it.

Yeah, sad =/ at first didn't even knew Valve had that. 

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah, sad =/ at first didn't even knew Valve had that. 

Oh, I guess another mitigation but it's probably not really is that if the government's tax agency audits someone, they find out they have a bunch of digital currency, and it's recognized in some form, that person is going to be in a world of hurt because the government will want the tax on it. With interest.

I know in the US at least, the IRS considers crpytocurrency as property. So you're supposed to declare how much you have.

1 hour ago, yian88 said:

this is outrageous when will they ban gpus from mining :(  cpu prices are high, ram price is trough the roof, gpu's are not in stock since forever or they cost 2x the regular price

CPU prices are fine. They're almost better than ever, I would say.

That just makes the high prices on all the other stuff even more infuriating though.

42 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

CPU prices are fine. They're almost better than ever, I would say.

That just makes the high prices on all the other stuff even more infuriating though.

I looked at the price of when I bought the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ back in the day. It was about $500. Now we really badger the person if they really need the processor if they try to spend significantly more than $350 and ~$200 is a pretty good sweet spot.

Though on the flipside, the motherboard was $80.

Strange times those were.