Will crypto-currencies be a thing in Scrap Yard Wars 7?

I think it would be interesting to see who can build a machine, with the intent to mine a cryptocurrency (bitcoin, litecoin etc) and break even the fastest! The challenge would be any amount of money, but the goal would be to build an effective miner that could break even and start generating profit in the shortest time.  I understand that mining any crypto takes a long time, so I think estimating who would break even the fastest would be acceptable.

That's a pretty cool idea.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If they have a unlimited budget then it's not called Scrap Yard Wars.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I like it. And it would educate people on how to make money off their gaming computers. 

I have never understood people who complain that mining is making PC gaming more expensive. Do they not understand mining just made PC gaming hardware costs basically free?  Sure video cards now have a more expensive upfront cost because of Mining but you can recoup the cost of the entire card within half a year or so. Looking at it that way you could get a free video card every 6 or 8 months. Next time a console gamer makes fun of a PC gamer because of cost just say "I make $50 a month with my PC just sitting their." Make the PC vs console argument much more favorable regarding the costs.

33 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I agree, their needs to be a budget of some kind,

I understand that mining any crypto takes a long time, so I think estimating who would break even the fastest would be acceptable.

I also agree estimating would be acceptable, however I do think the end product should actually mine for a set period of time. Like a month for example, after all it  takes about that long to edit together a scrapyard wars any ways. Whatever amount of money it got from mining within that month is the amount we can assume it would get for every month. This would put a consequence for buying sketchy hardware as we have seen on previous scrap yard wars where some systems barely could run a benchmark for 10 minutes. Just because a system is faster, if it crashes every hour your not going to be making much money off that system. The teams should be required to monitor and babysit the computer during the month.

Also power should be taken into consideration, a system may mine 10% faster but if it take 25% more power to run it might actually take longer to break even.

7 hours ago, Catsrules said:

Next time a console gamer makes fun of a PC gamer because of cost just say "I make $50 a month with my PC just sitting their." Make the PC vs console argument much more favorable regarding the costs.

i wish there was a downvote button. this is the stupidest "argument" for pc vs console

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 hours ago, Catsrules said:

I have never understood people who complain that mining is making PC gaming more expensive. Do they not understand mining just made PC gaming hardware costs basically free?  Sure video cards now have a more expensive upfront cost because of Mining but you can recoup the cost of the entire card within half a year or so. Looking at it that way you could get a free video card every 6 or 8 months. Next time a console gamer makes fun of a PC gamer because of cost just say "I make $50 a month with my PC just sitting their." Make the PC vs console argument much more favorable regarding the costs.

it makes PC gaming more expensive because people are buying all the card to do just mining not gaming. not everyone can do mining and make money from it.

That would definitely make me stop watching, even faster than bringing bloody Austin back (here's me hoping that doesn't happen either).

Anyone who tells you that you can't do something is unimaginative and probably a coward.

13 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Hash per dollar? Hash/$/W? 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

On 12/11/2017 at 5:56 AM, mad dudy said:

not everyone can do mining and make money from it.

Why not?

NiceHash (RIP) had it down very easily. You literately just installed a program put a wallet address in it and press the start button. The programs does all of the hard work for your. You could even set it up to automatically pause mining when gaming start back up again when you stop gaming.

12 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

i wish there was a downvote button. this is the stupidest "argument" for pc vs console

How so?

13 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

How so?

you might as well say that PC is better than console because you can put a floppy drive in it to read floppy disks for as much of a difference it will make to gaming.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

20 hours ago, oOAdam_GrahamOo said:

I think it would be interesting to see who can build a machine, with the intent to mine a cryptocurrency (bitcoin, litecoin etc) and break even the fastest! The challenge would be any amount of money, but the goal would be to build an effective miner that could break even and start generating profit in the shortest time.  I understand that mining any crypto takes a long time, so I think estimating who would break even the fastest would be acceptable.

Easy. 

https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/bitmain/antminer-s9-miner/ 

Spoiler

[CPU] - Intel Core i5-4590  

[Motherboard] - MSI B85-G43 GAMING 

[RAM] - Kingston HyperX Beast (2x4GB) 1866Mhz... CPU only supports 1600Mhz

[SSD] - A-Data SP600 128GB SSD

[HDD]- 1Tb Seagate Barracuda

[GPU] - EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC

[Case] - Corsair SPEC-03 White 

[PSU] - Rosewill 450W 80+Bronze

19 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

you might as well say that PC is better than console because you can put a floppy drive in it to read floppy disks for as much of a difference it will make to gaming.

I wasn't talking about gaming performance I was talking about price of the computer vs price of a console. With mining you can recoop some or all of the cost of the computer.

After all isn't price one of the main arguments for getting a console over a computer?

Depends which currency. Bitcoin with spare computer parts wouldn't be profitable at all, it's all about ASIC miners. As for the other currencies, it also wouldn't be that profitable, considering the cost of power and the lower efficiency of used older parts available compared to newer parts. Not to mention that you'd most likely need multiple GPUs for it to ever actually "break even"... after 6 months.

If you removed the budget limitation to get by the limitation of older hardware, it wouldn't be ScrapYard Wars anymore, it'd be Newegg/Amazon War.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

8 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Hash per dollar? Hash/$/W? 

unlimited budget pc is not what I consider calling it a "scrap yard" build.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, Catsrules said:

Why not?

NiceHash (RIP) had it down very easily. You literately just installed a program put a wallet address in it and press the start button. The programs does all of the hard word for your. You could even set it up to automatically pause mining when gaming start back up again when you stop gaming.

there's something called a electric bill that might cost more then how much you can make.

1 hour ago, mad dudy said:

there's something called a electric bill that might cost more then how much you can make.

Power is about $15-$20 per month to run my computer with a GTX 1070 24/7, I can get (well used to be able to) about $2- $2.50 a day or $60-$75 a month from mining 24/7. Obviously that goes down the more I game so your mileage may very depending on how much your gaming. So you could be making around $40ish in profit (after power costs) per month. I am not going to retire off that money but hey it is $40 is $40. And I can put it towards a new build or upgrading current build for the future.

Two part scrapyard wars. Part one is building a mining computer with a fixed budget, part 2 is months later, building the best computer you can off the money you earn from part one.

I'd watch the crap out of that.

My Build, "Helios"

CPU: 5950x with Noctua NH-D15

GPU: MSI 2080ti

Case: BE QUIET! Dark Base 900 Pro

Storage: Samsung 970  pro 500gb (boot drive), unknown 2tb Seagate drive, 4tb WD Black drive

PSU: Corsair HX1000i

RAM: (4x8) Trident Z RGB

Remote PC Starter Kit

cool idea would like to see it actually.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

But is it as strong as a diamond pickaxe?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

So basically it's who can get the best GPU for mining, seeing as CPU isn't really a huge factor in mining?

Yawn.

i really hope they dont..

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

The price fluctuations is gonna make-or-break the season, not to mention that not everyone dabbles with magical coin of the internet so they'll have to find a seller whose willing to accept bitcoin or any other form of crypto-currency 

On 12/10/2017 at 9:09 PM, NumLock21 said:

On 12/10/2017 at 9:44 PM, Catsrules said:

I agree, their needs to be a budget of some kind,

Uh, I'm pretty sure he means "any amount of money" as in "they pick any limit they want" not "unlimited amount of money"

For example one of the scrapyard wars they chose to do $500, another one they chose $1500 or something like that, etc.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020