Will crypto-currencies be a thing in Scrap Yard Wars 7?

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Uh, I'm pretty sure he means "any amount of money" as in "they pick any limit they want" not "unlimited amount of money"

For example one of the scrapyard wars they chose to do $500, another one they chose $1500 or something like that, etc.

Any amount is the same as unlimited amount because one can factor in the entire price before hand and then say the budget amount they want.

I start to factor in a "scrap yard" build for mining. I want them Titan V with that Asus Minining board, Asus mininig board is $200 and Titan is $3,000 each, The board has 12 slots. Just the board and 12 Titan V alone is $36,200, plus other parts I say another $2000, so my budget for my scrap yard mining build is $38,200. Uhh no, this amount is not what I call a scrap yard build.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

6 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Any amount is the same as unlimited amount because one can factor in the entire price before hand and then say the budget amount they want.

I start to factor in a "scrap yard" build for mining. I want them Titan V with that Asus Minining board, Asus mininig board is $200 and Titan is $3,000 each, The board has 12 slots. Just the board and 12 Titan V alone is $36,200, plus other parts I say another $2000, so my budget for my scrap yard mining build is $38,200. Uhh no, this amount is not what I call a scrap yard build.

No....

"any amount" as in "choose a set amount for the build before the series starts"

Just like literally every other scrapyard wars.

They pick a reasonable limit beforehand.

Usually they stick with low amounts such as a few thousand or less in order to follow the theme of scrapyard wars.

They lose a ton of money if they did scrapyard wars with $10k budgets.

Also, fyi, the "scrapyard" part is mostly referring to buying used components for the best bang for your buck.

Not that the components you buy need to be scrap.

OP is saying that linus or the team can choose the price limit they would want to use for this competition.

Instead of OP saying "you must do $1000 max because I say so"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

No....

"any amount" as in "choose a set amount for the build before the series starts"

Just like literally every other scrapyard wars.

They pick a reasonable limit beforehand.

Usually they stick with low amounts such as a few thousand or less in order to stick with the theme of scrapyard wars.

They lose a ton of money if they did scrapyard wars with $10k budgets.

Also, fyi, the "scrapyard" part is mostly referring to buying used components for the best bang for your buck.

Not that the components you buy need to be scrap.

I know that scrapyard is the most bang for the buck and not something from the dumpster.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Just now, NumLock21 said:

I know that scrapyard is the most bang for the buck and not something from the dumpster.

Yeah, so OP is saying that linus or the team can choose the price limit they would want to use for this competition. (like all other scrapyard wars)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Yeah, so OP is saying that linus or the team can choose the price limit they would want to use for this competition. (like all other scrapyard wars)

Because it's a minining build, they know they will need a lot of gpus and gpus are expensive, they can easily set a high budget. Someone else will have to set the budget for them.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

11 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Because it's a minining build, they know they will need a lot of gpus and gpus are expensive, they can easily set a high budget. Someone else will have to set the budget for them.

Uh, yes more GPUs will make profit faster but they also use more power and will cost more so it will take many years to get any return on investment.

So no, a mining build doesn't need to have a ton of GPUs.

I don't think they would be dumb enough to do something like a $10k scrapyard wars build for mining, they already did that for a regular LTT video.

Spoiler

9 hours ago, JMSOG said:

Two part scrapyard wars. Part one is building a mining computer with a fixed budget, part 2 is months later, building the best computer you can off the money you earn from part one.

I'd watch the crap out of that.

Yes. just yes. 

Antipixel  -  First build 

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/wVmqqs

2 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

The price fluctuations is gonna make-or-break the season, not to mention that not everyone dabbles with magical coin of the internet so they'll have to find a seller whose willing to accept bitcoin or any other form of crypto-currency 

They wouldn't buy the hardware with bitcoin. They would still use the currency of whatever country they are in. It would basically be the same as it has always been only difference is instead of gaming benchmarks it will be mining.

i dont think they would ever do a 'scrapyard wars' based off of crypto.... there are WAY WAY WAY too many butt-hurt hating gamers for them to even want to attempt it, the outcry would be worse than 10 million babies that just had their sucker stolen...... Every 'gamer' cry's about an extra few bucks for a graphics card, yet no one really whines as much when ram prices, or ssd prices are doubled from just over a year ago. Noooooo their precious graphics cards are an extra hundred bucks

However a new series "Crypto-wars" could be an interesting twist. I guess the tell-tale would be how their mining series goes, and how many people cry on their (i believe 3 part series Linus announced).

***edit*** disclaimer - while yes i do mine, and have a mining rig, i am also an avid gamer. So dont get your knickers in a knot because i'm on both sides here.

I don't honestly know what the minds at LTT would do if given the task to build a sensible miner...  That's why I originally posted this.