Statements that trigger tech fans.

Armakar

The one that gets me is people saying NVIDIA doesn't have a DirectX 12 card.

This just tells me they're drunk off the AMD Kool-Aid. Or they have no idea what, oh, I don't know, DirectX feature levels are or how they work.

Or the fact that Asynchronous Compute is not a requirement of DirectX 12 and as far as I know, Vulkan.

EDIT: Oh and one more, calling a laptop a labtop. Where the deuce did this come from?

Anything an Apple fanboy has to say. Like my cousin. He insists to this day that his 2011 iMac can destroy my PC. Hell, my old overclocked to hell and back Core 2 Duo 9800GT machine ran circles around it. xD

He also insists that Macs are indestructible and never have problems while PCs are nothing but problems. Which is why I laughed extra hard when his Macbook Pro had a battery bloat up and cooling fans fail. Meanwhile I still have my Optiplex GX110 from like 2000 that I still use as a music player pretty much daily. xD

He also says "hollywood uses macs" as proof that they're the best. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 hours ago, Tam3n said:

91fWXAxb07L._SL1500_.jpg

Fun fact, way back when, the low end computers and high end computers could be physically identical, but have different SKUs due to effective hardware.

Thos floppy would modify the firmware on ypur Mac to reclaim RAM that was faulty, but if you actually got to using the RAM...

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

EDIT: Oh and one more, calling a laptop a labtop. Where the deuce did this come from?

I have never seen or heard that in my life, I assume it's just a typo.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It seems to be an east coast thing from what I gathered.

Urban dictionary has an amusing entry on it though.

I looked it up on Google after reading this and much to my disappointment, it appears you are right

To clarify, I'm not disappointed you're right, I'm disappointed this is a thing xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

calling a laptop a labtop

A university close to where I live has Labtops in the laboratories, just a bad pun

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

So they have computers on the roof of the lab? :P

it took me way to long to understand it, I first thought I made some stupid typo xD

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:
5 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

When the sales guy who is trying to reach sales says something like "solid state hard drive". 

The thing is, that's actually a thing.  SSHD, form Seagate (iirc).  It's got like an 8 GB SSD build in as a cache, but is otherwise a normal HDD.  Not the best name imo but it is a real one.

SSHD = Solid State Hybride Drive or lets just call it marketing bullshit.  

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Fun fact, way back when, the low end computers and high end computers could be physically identical, but have different SKUs due to effective hardware.

Thos floppy would modify the firmware on ypur Mac to reclaim RAM that was faulty, but if you actually got to using the RAM...

I'm sorry to tell you this but I have one of those disks from when I ran an Apple IIci. That's not what it did...

The RAM Doubler actually compressed the memory. You can't correct faulty RAM.

35 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

"Did you try turning it off and turning it on again?"

That may trigger tech fans but I can guarantee it fixes a hell of a lot stuff from my experience in tech support.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Anything a computer salesman will say to get a sale. I've had to interrupt a good few times from false facts or statements to sell 'tech ignorant' people crap in my years as a techie. 

10 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

That may trigger tech fans but I can guarantee it fixes a hell of a lot stuff from my experience in tech support.

I hate to admit that you're right but you are. 

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

wut... 

Chickenbutt

the beliefs that "as long as I don't like product A/brand A, whoever does is a dumb ass". 

now insert your brand name there people. 

come on, be creative. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

26 minutes ago, Tiberiusisgame said:

That's not what it did...

The RAM Doubler actually compressed the memory. You can't correct faulty RAM.

In the case of this particular brand, it appears ypur partially right. It both compresses and creates virtual memory.

But there have been plenty of RAM doubler products that reclaim faulty RAM, and they work until your data hits a bad register. It doesn't correct the RAM. The modern equivalent would be the RX480 4GB=>8GB VBIOS mod.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

What about "$1,500 is what everyone should be spending on their computers!"

As if they didn't take monitor resolution and preferred in-game settings and preferred FPS (Is it 60 or 144 FPS?), and the games themselves into consideration, or what their personal tastes are. Not everyone plays their games at 1080p (even though that's what the majority plays on according to Steam Hardware Surveys, not that that's the most reliable source, but most PC gamers use it :/)

Plus "x game's FPS is low on my system, so therefore it's unoptimized!"

First off, what, and how do you define "optimized" as? Is it because it gets 60FPS at 1080p maxed out on your measly computer? Is it because you can get 100+ FPS at 1080p at max settings? Is it because the game's engine can properly utilize computer resources. Does the game use new, alien technology that can't run optimally on even the most cutting-edge consumer hardware? How do you define it?

With that said, you can say "Crysis is super-demanding, so therefore it's unoptimized." Fist off, that game introduced a new form of ambient occlusion called Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (or SSAO for short). You also have to take into account that its engine (CryEngine 2) had over a million lines of code (which amount to 3000+ pages total), 85,000 shaders, and 1GB of texture data, and the game used high-resolution, high-poly models. The game engine at the time was among the first to use the DirectX 10 framework (which was introduced in Windows Vista). At its time, the hardware requirements for 1080p maxed out for that game was considered unfeasible. And 1080p at the time would be the equivalent of 8K in today's time.

How do you think the catchphrase "But can it run Crysis?" came about?

Mass Effect: Andromeda, on my system (when it had a GTX 960 4GB), didn't run so well at 1080p, and it ran decently at 720p, albeit with medium settings. When I upgraded it to a GTX 1080 Ti, I can now run that game at 4K with an FPS range of 40 to 60FPS (My preferred range). The results are still very interesting to say the least. On the Tempest, the FPS drops down to as low at 24FPS when entering the bridge to use the Galaxy Map, but outside of the Tempest itself, it runs perfectly. What that amounts to is that in the Tempest, there are lots of shaders, lots of lighting, and lots of objects that are not exclusive to the interior of the ship. Plus the resolution of the objects are rather high as well (which results in smoother-looking models). And everyone knows what engine that runs on, which is Frostbite 3. BF4 runs really well on a wide range of hardware at 1080p.

Bottom line is how do you use the engine, and what are you putting in your game.

Although not a programmer by any stretch myself, I've been working on a concept engine of my own, which aims for a few things: physical correctness, tremendous hardware usage scalability (imagine a game running on an over-the-top, fire-breathing monster truck computer configured with 4 NVIDIA TITAN Xp's and an Intel Core i9-7980XE Extreme Edition and properly utilizes all four GPUs (99% GPU usage with excellent scaling) and attaining at least 40% utilization across all 36 threads, or your midrange computer with 4 cores and 8 threads and a single GPU, and does it well), and usage of the latest graphics technologies (like Voxel Global Illumination and high-performance ray tracing technologies to attain the physical correctness), and leverages GPGPU to accelerate object physics and AI (which can work together in teams and can learn your playstyle and can exploit weaknesses in your playstyle (oh you like using cover? Frag grenades away). This would mean that this hypothetical engine can be used to create any game, and create the most demanding game that can easily supersede Crysis itself. What inspired this engine are Luminous Studio (that powers Final Fantasy XV), Unreal Engine 4, and CryEngine V.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440