Statements that trigger tech fans.

Armakar
7 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

Given that I work in an industry where being very specific with words is really important I'm also extremely self conscious and highly critical about this sort of thing.

Digressing slightly, I also find crutch words in general quite irritating; um, er, basically, literally, actually and so on - they dilute the strength of a statement and display weakness or indecisiveness...

Haha I would suggest that you're overthinking that one. Many people, including incredibly intelligent people who are experts in their field, talk like that.

It does not show weakness or indecisiveness. It shows a lack of public speaking skills, etc. Just take one look at Elon Musk. I don't think anyone can claim he's weak or indecisive. Yet he "uhm's" and "ah's" literally every time he does a presentation, basically. Actually, he's, um, kind of like, one of the smartest people on the planet, literally. (okay that's enough torture for you xD)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

(okay that's enough torture for you xD)

Indeed, thanks for that xD

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

1 hour ago, kk027 said:

My freind wants to play at 720/1080p And insists on getting a 1080ti. I'm helping him with his build and he didn't even tell me his budget yet.

I can understand that, every build video out there seems to have a 1080ti chucked in there somewhere. Its very easy to get it set in your head that you need one even if you don't. 

One that has cropped up recently is this occasional reference to being old and not understanding tech (most common with reference to politicians).   It's almost Ironic that we have people that think because the other is too old/young they can't possibly understand.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 12/5/2017 at 10:29 AM, Dylanc1500 said:

"I prefer Delta fans"

I really don't understand why but for some reason I had couple kids, when I was at Microcenter, get very angry at my preference of delta fans. I guess I'm old.

People who don't like Delta fans don't like fans. Nothing beats a 6,000 RPM finger remover.

When people call their computer, the case and its contents, the CPU.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

On 12/20/2017 at 7:56 PM, dalekphalm said:

There's actually a syndrome detailing it, called (ironically) RAS Syndrome:

Redundant Acronym Syndrome Syndrome

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAS_syndrome

Scientists just want to have fun, the same way we do! (And some of them are massive trolls!)

For example, take the Sonic Hedgehog gene: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_hedgehog

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

32 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Physical software ;)

The person who said “solid state hard drive” was a salesman in an Apple Store trying to convince someone to buy a Retina Display MacBook Pro. Apple has gone all SSD since 2012. Hard drives seems to have an identity crisis when naïve salesmen try to sell them. ?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

On 12/21/2017 at 2:07 AM, Drak3 said:

IRL, never. If I have on the forum, it's bound to be late night posting when I was gaming. But to me, anything longer than OLED or LCD, when differentiating display tech, is just excessive talking. I hate excessive talking.

TL;DR: Not IRL, perhaps while distracted on the forum. OLED or LCD suffices to differentiate the tech. I hate excessive talking.

8700k @5.0GHz | Maximus X Hero | RAM 32GB @3200MHz CL14 | 1080 TI | SSD 250GB + 2x500GB Raid 0 | Monitor 1440p 165Hz ISP

18 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

The person who said “solid state hard drive” was a salesman in an Apple Store trying to convince someone to buy a Retina Display MacBook Pro. Apple has gone all SSD since 2012. Hard drives seems to have an identity crisis when naïve salesmen try to sell them. ?

I let people off on that now,  especially given the whole etymology of the words used to name drives have been lost. SSD's technically aren't drives either but the naming of such devices is simply a handmedown relic of older tech.  sometimes the names are reused to reduce confusion as to their actual function within the pc (rather than calling the SSD memory or ram which it technically is more than a drive) and sometimes people are just lazy. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I let people off on that now,  especially given the whole etymology of the words used to name drives have been lost. SSD's technically aren't drives either but the naming of such devices is simply a handmedown relic of older tech.  sometimes the names are reused to reduce confusion as to their actual function within the pc (rather than calling the SSD memory or ram which it technically is more than a drive) and sometimes people are just lazy. 

Indeed. Getting upset that someone calls an SSHD a Solid State Hard Drive, as compared to Hybrid drive is frankly dumb. 

I wonder how many people even know what HDD stands for? Spoiler alert: not “Hard Drive”

Spoiler

The answer is “hard disk drive”

Solid state Hard Drive makes more sense than “solid state drive”, as you point out. 

Lots of tech names don’t make sense. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

How are SSDs "technically" not drives?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

What’s so confusing between “solid state drives” meaning storage devices without spinning magnetic platter and is significantly faster and “hard drives” with magnetic spinning platter that is slower? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

27 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

What’s so confusing between “solid state drives” meaning storage devices without spinning magnetic platter and is significantly faster and “hard drives” with magnetic spinning platter that is slower? 

I think the idea is that "drive" is implied to be a mechanical based term.

Saying "Samsung" when they actually mean "Android" .

Don't like Samsung phones and think all products from Samsung are bad (SSDs, monitors...)

Gauging the performance of a laptop based on the OS installed. "My old laptop is still quite good, it has windows 10 and everything."

In general, when product A and B don't work nicly together, allways blaim product B, because they like the product A.

Don't read a single word of the manual and blame the product for beeing complicated.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

6 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

image.png.cfaa13ae03fef4ded3064df205e5849e.png\

I'll have you know my computer runs an SSS - solid state slate. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

7 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

6 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

The name Drive comes from the motor that physically drives the disk.  SSD's do not have one of those. The name drive has just been used because when you say "drive" people know what you are talking about.  

So technically (and only technically speaking) SSD's as we call them are not drives, they are solid state data storage, they have no drive mechanism.  Anything that has a physical motor that drives a data storage disk (including hard platters in HDD's) is a disk drive. E.G floppy disk drive, hard disk drive and optical disk drive.

So as I said before, there is no real point in getting hung up over semantics of such devices, as even the common terms and names we have are wrong and only used for convenience.

"Is that RAM dual channel?"

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

On 12/13/2017 at 11:16 AM, MEC-777 said:

This is not aimed at you, specifically, but the "throw it away" or "just replace it with a whole new one" attitude actually triggers me - that is; where there exists a valid solution to fix or upgrade the device. 

Yeah, it's an old, cheap laptop, but if it also has a slow-ass 5400rpm HDD in it, that is the primary cause of slow performance in most laptops. Simply swapping that out for an SSD would probably make that machine far nicer to use for a couple more years. ;) 

For those who don't know; if you're running Windows 10 on an SSD, go and disable the auto-defrag setting ASAP!!!

No problem, that is a good idea. I will look into that and see if that is possible! I work at a pretty bare bones start up and basically am tasked with any computer, tech upgrades etc throughout the office. (Which is horrible cause honestly I don't know a lot) I am much more knowledgeable in programming and creating applications then hardware stuff (because thats my job lol).

I was in a music store and the guy explaining mono keyboards tried using a gaming pc analogy, and made a false comparison. (I forgot what he said exactly but it bothered me....) 

On 25-12-2017 at 10:42 AM, mr moose said:

The name Drive comes from the motor that physically drives the disk.  SSD's do not have one of those. The name drive has just been used because when you say "drive" people know what you are talking about.  

So technically (and only technically speaking) SSD's as we call them are not drives, they are solid state data storage, they have no drive mechanism.  Anything that has a physical motor that drives a data storage disk (including hard platters in HDD's) is a disk drive. E.G floppy disk drive, hard disk drive and optical disk drive.

So as I said before, there is no real point in getting hung up over semantics of such devices, as even the common terms and names we have are wrong and only used for convenience.

So SSD is Solid State Datastoragecarrierthingamajig basically 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

when people treat instant messenger clients like you're communicating via formal letterhead. big pet peeve of mine when the first thing someone says to me (on fucking discord of all places) is "is english your first language?"

11 hours ago, Irisaurus Rex said:

big pet peeve of mine when the first thing someone says to me (on fucking discord of all places) is "is english your first language?"

Why does that bother you? If it's a text chat, asking what language you are most comfortable with (or if you speak english at all) is a good thing to know so that you can communicate effectively.

If you mean over Voice Chat, then it's kind of irrelevant, unless they're simply curious.

4 hours ago, InertiaSelling said:

"Macintosh computers didn't run Windows back then."

Depending on how far back they mean with "back then", they'd be right.

Windows running on a Mac wasn't a thing really until VMWare introduced their first virtualization package for Mac OS way back in the early 90's.

And of course, natively running Windows was impossible until Apple dropped the PowerPC chips and switched to the Intel x86 package.