Your "too easy" experiences?

Princess Luna

So today my Acer Aspire notebook featuring an i7 7500u, Win 10... laptop stuff... had the silliest issue... I noticed when I took it off the power wall it was turning off immediately despite Windows showing 100% battery.

Tested a few times issue was repeating itself, despite full battery it would auto shut down right after unplugging from the wall.

As any good savvy went to google it out... found a post somewhere, very old like from 2012, saying similar issue, stated that fix was simply turning the laptop on only on battery... Well why not unplugged it and tried to turn it on, so it did, been working perfectly fine now since... lolz...

I felt about sharing and before someone shout status update! status update! It did come across me we all probably have similar stories of a silly tech issue that had an even sillier fix, why not share with each other? sounds suitable conversation about tech no? ^^

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

My Toshiba Satellite P755 with a Core i5-2430M and GeForce GT 540M was overheating, I kinda figured it was a CPU thing so I looked it up on Google as well, and found recommendations to replace the thermal compound and blow out the dust. Been running cool and quiet since

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Had a laptop where the brightness key was in reverse. The brightness key will make the screen go dim and the dim key will make the screen go bright. Went online and said to remove the gpu driver from Device Manager and restart. Did that and the problem went away.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I spend days troubleshooting my Corsair Lighting Node Pro not updating its firmware. Tried everything including mounting the firmware storage partition and flashing the stock BIOS back to it. Turns out all I needed to do was remove power to it, then plug it back in. Sigh...

I have an old laptop with a power LED that's brighter than the sun. so I covered it with tape. also did the same with my PS4 controller 

My ethernet cord was slightly unplugged when troubleshooting my web server issues.

Took an hour of troubleshooting to find the issue because I have dual lan and the internet was still working through the second cable :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

When I first got my Toshiba Satellite L645-S4102 back in 2009 (I still use it today), it would not hold a charge for more than 30 mins. Looking through the Toshiba messages in the built-in Toshiba program showed that there was a BIOS update for it. After updating, it worked perfectly.

Thought I killed either my motherboard or my PSU multiple times after cleaning my system

Issues were as follows:

1. Forgot to plug it in

2. Forgot to flip the PSU on

3. I actually dont know, it started working after 45 minutes of me not doing anything

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

3. I actually dont know, it started working after 45 minutes of me not doing anything

Not knowing scares me the most, especially if it happens again.

After taking my computer apart and putting it back together I put it back under my desk and tried to power it on but it wouldn't work. Nothing I tried worked, I tried the psu switch I tried reseating things, anything I could think of

It turns out I had forgotten to plug it in

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

Grandfather was mad, because "his PC was not working". Go check it out, monitor says "no signal". Do the obvious checking the cable.

Cable is fine on monitor side, cable was slightly unplugged from PC, presumably from him messing with it and moving it (despite him saying he didn't do it.. Hmm..). Anyways, since it was DVI I screwed it in on both sides (monitor and PC side) so this wouldn't happen again. Also made the cable have a little more slack, so it wouldn't break when he eventually moves it again.

And have had this happen a million times already (yesterday even).. Mother wants to move stuff from PC to phone (or other way around.. Anyways, irrelevant to the story), connects her Android phone to PC. AND IT DON'T WORK. Anyways, show her you have to go to your notifications and set it to media transfer, instead of just charging.

Also, I had a customer come in and her laptop wouldn't charge. Did all the regular stuff, when my colleague drops by and asks if I had tried to remove the battery yet.. I hadn't and that fixed the issue.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Not knowing scares me the most, especially if it happens again.

It's powered on every time since. I did the PSU check, fan check, everything I could think of (sadly I didnt have a spare psu) and i actually started looking up used mobo's on ebay when i just decided to try turning it on again and it worked...

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

2. Forgot to flip the PSU on

The amount of customers complaining we sold them "a broken PC", while they just haven't flipped the PSU switch is way too high..

But a similar thing happened to my colleague. He got a monitor and than promptly complained how it was broken. Turned out there was a physical switch next to the power port... 9_9

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Another thing I did was when I built my first PC, I forgot to put the slowest DIMM in the primary DIMM slot. And also forgot to plug in multiple systems as well as turning on the PSU.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Minibois said:

The amount of customers complaining we sold them "a broken PC", while they just haven't flipped the PSU switch is way too high..

But a similar thing happened to my colleague. He got a monitor and than promptly complained how it was broken. Turned out there was a physical switch next to the power port... 9_9

I that was a modern monitor, I cant say I blame him. 

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Here's another one that will relate to a lot of people:

I blew on the cartridge and it worked.

I've done that a couple times with USB ports actually haha

14 minutes ago, Enderman said:

:P

16 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Sigh...

How about spend over an hour troubleshooting sound issues, messing with the drivers and all only to find out the issue all along was that the volume thingy in the headset was all the way down.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

When I had just installed a shiny new GTX 1070 in my PC I began to have a lot of problems with games crashing and blue screens. I ha this problem for weeks, asking here on the forum,  and looking for similar problems in google, but I found nothing. Then, when I got fed up with it and decided to RMA the card, I discovered that the eight pin VGA connector wasn't plugged all the way into the card. I  felt like the biggest idiot in the history of man kind. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

How about spend over an hour troubleshooting sound issues, messing with the drivers and all only to find out the issue all along was that the volume thingy in the headset was all the way down.

Haha... that made me face palm for real. Reminds me of when I was on the phone w/ my CFO and we were both trying to figure out why he couldn't connect to the VPN. An hour into it I stop, take a deep breath, and ask if he was connected to wifi. He was not (the hotel wifi was down).

11 minutes ago, ElZamo92 said:

When I had just installed a shiny new GTX 1070 in my PC I began to have a lot of problems with games crashing and blue screens. I ha this problem for weeks, asking here on the forum,  and looking for similar problems in google, but I found nothing. Then, when I got fed up with it and decided to RMA the card, I discovered that the eight pin VGA connector wasn't plugged all the way into the card. I  felt like the biggest idiot in the history of man kind. 

I'm pretty sure someone would've said to you about checking your power connectors and other connectors on the PC, most logical thing when BSODs... ahh well, least you found it in the end.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I'm sure a lot of people have experienced this but the first time I dusted my computer I thought I broke something because it wouldn't turn back on. Turns out I left the power supply turned off. :/ 

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

Went to clean and update my peripheral setup.  Plugged my M65 Pro into the K70 Rapidfire I upgraded to, and got not response from the mouse.  Tried 3 different mice and none of them worked.  Turns out I forgot to plug in the second USB cable for the USB pass-through because I didn't need it with the last gen K70 RGB I had installed previously.  Yup, that was pretty embarrassing.  But hey, we're all human, even when we do this every day for a living.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/