Who here is "tech support" in your circle?

Psittac

Just curious how many of you are the go to tech guy for friends and family.  I got a phone call from my blind friend asking if his OS was 32-bit or 64-bit...... 2.5 hours later I got back home having fixed my dad's computer, my mom's computer, my friends computer and restoring his nieces iphone.  At one point early on infront of my mom's computer I found myself with hand's in the air saying "no one knows how to use a freaking computer".

The past couple weeks I have attempted to make step by step tutorials with screen shot's on how to do nothing more than update their machine and run an anti-malware scan, you'd think I was speaking Latin. Le-Argh

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

me but i don't want to be. constantly have the same co-worker asking me to fix his/his fathers/his son's computers because they are slow/have a virus/slower than it used to be/slow/slow/not working/slow and yesterday wanted me to set up a wireless printer for them

I'm happy doing it for family.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

omfg, I'm freaking tired of it. Every single time they have a problem they try to fix it themselves and usually end up making it worse and then they will finally call me to fix it. After I fix it they never ask any questions so that they can get an idea of how computers work so that they can do it next time.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

I am. Though mostly for my friends, my Mum (currently having to replace a shattered laptop touchscreen-god I hate glue) and my Grandmother (who was using a laptop with 512MB RAM+Celeron M380 in 2014).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Mostly me as well.

What's hard is when they chat me in the middle of the day to rant about their bricked PC and to ask for solutions....

when they're MILES and literally islands away from me

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

Me. I have a great aunt who runs a magazine, and like most people 70+, is totally clueless at technology. She can open word, type like a pro (literally, she can type insanely fast without many errors), and check her emails and update Facebook and stuff. But anything not online specifically related to her business, she has no understanding of, be that viruses, the network, or Windows updates. So it falls on me to fix everything when it inevitably gets messed up. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Shocking, on a forum of techies, we're often the techie slaves of our non techie friends and families.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I am. I even volunteer as head of tech support at my local library. :)

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

You're asking this on a forum full of computer nerds. Be like going to a car forum and asking if they like cars. :D

21 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

You're asking this on a forum full of computer nerds. Be like going to a car forum and asking if they like cars. :D

lol, I figured that was going to be the case I just figured it would be a good topic as well as a way to vent.  I think my favorite techie-slave story would be when dealing with my blind friend.  That's how we met, I was teaching the only computer class at a center for people with disabilities and he came in, was the only time he went to one of their meetings as well as myself.  But I was looking for any opportunity to help someone in need and we got to know each other over the countless hours it took to reinstall windows on his very old laptop.  Over the past several years we have been good friends and I take pride in providing for all of his tech needs.  A few years ago when money was tight, I decided to build him an AM3 system because I figured it would be one of the biggest improvements he could have, seeing as he is on it for basically everything short of eating with his mom and when a friend calls him to hang out.  Still, no good deed goes unpunished. A couple years ago his computer self detonated and I was reinstalling and replacing hardware every few month's, must have redone his computer 5ish times until the last time I randomly removed the reset button from the m/b........... not a single issue again until a couple weeks ago.  Turns out he was bumping the reset button over and over and would eventually cook the OS.  I don't know why it took more than a year to start happening, but I replaced basically everything except for the core components in the process (oh wait, the fan on the ancient x1900xt died and started it all).  Anyways even though I appreciate the fact I can do that for him....... it can be more than a headache.

On top of that his mom started to think I had built him a faulty machine, that was more than enough stress considering I had no actual answers.

Tonight the reason I had to go and fix his computer is that his mom hit the clr cmos button while running because she was trying to plug in a usb cable for his nieces iphone update/format.  She was there the whole time with something to say none of which was useful but I got his computer booted and her phone fixed.  I just had to take a minute from responding when she had apparently selected the wrong input source on his TV.......... "would that have anything to do with the cable not working, it's wierd because it happened at the same time......... yakyakyak........"  Just kept my mouth shut and eventually responded...... "you selected TV not hdmi........." lesigh.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

while we have few computer repair shops in city near my town [5 minutes of driving] , 90% of my neighboors come to me if they want to fix or buy a computer or laptop or something, etc... I'm literally making a living from it while not paying taxes because I'm not in business officially. 

sometimes I even get a computer or laptop that was in repair shop where they weren't able to fix it [or where they just want to sell new piece to customer]

Daewoo Lanos 1.5L 8V, 1998, green = Better graphics than NFS in VR. 

Otherwise my daily rig is some oem pcchips motherboard with intel 486-dx2 in it overclocked to 100mhz and watercooled with astonishing 24MB RAM and superb S3 Virge DX graphics with 4MB of VRAM for best performance in heavy 3D apps and games and with 850mb WD Caviar 4200RPM HDD for maximum storage space and speed.

Running  Windows 95 OSR2.5 with IE4 for amazing internet browsing experience

all this in glorious desktop case in elephant bone color. 

1 hour ago, LordMMX said:

while we have few computer repair shops in city near my town [5 minutes of driving] , 90% of my neighboors come to me if they want to fix or buy a computer or laptop or something, etc... I'm literally making a living from it while not paying taxes because I'm not in business officially. 

sometimes I even get a computer or laptop that was in repair shop where they weren't able to fix it [or where they just want to sell new piece to customer]

Really you make enough to live and pay bills doing that? Or do you just not have any bills?

also if your doing it on a scale that big don’t talk about becase no taxes = illegal after so much money is made

I'm thankfully not, since people assume two of my relatives are better at tech stuff. They do come to me if they want stuff explained, because they say I have a bit more patience with them.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

it's the worst,they want me to perform magic without changing anything.
tech illiterate people who dont like change are horrible

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

I am responsible for pretty much every thing tech wise at my office even though it has nothing to do with what I actually do.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I am responsible (along with my manager) for the IT in our school. This includes about 550 devices, 800 users, and any A/V equipment.

I am also the go to guy for my family and friends.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

Unfortunately myself. I am a developer, which for most people means "I'm gonna fix your computer for free". :P

Yep. I even use an Access Database to keep track of those systems. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Yep. I even use an Access Database to keep track of those systems. 

Does Access still exist? :D

Just now, SkyLinx said:

Does Access still exist? :D

Came included with my subscription of Office 365 Pro Plus. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Came included with my subscription of Office 365 Pro Plus. 

OK. It was a genuine question as I haven't heard of it for ages

1 minute ago, SkyLinx said:

OK. It was a genuine question as I haven't heard of it for ages

Yea it's still around hahaha. Don't think it's going anywhere for the foreseeable future.