Who here is "tech support" in your circle?

Psittac

its me for my friends and family. i am involved in purchases, repairs, updates, upgrades and general support for all of them because none of them are super tech literate.

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

11 hours ago, MetallicArcherfish said:

Really you make enough to live and pay bills doing that? Or do you just not have any bills?

also if your doing it on a scale that big don’t talk about becase no taxes = illegal after so much money is made

it helps me pay most of my bills. yet, I pay taxes because I have normal job. And my aunt is working at "tax office" so I know how much money I can make legally before I'll have to pay taxes from it.

Daewoo Lanos 1.5L 8V, 1998, green = Better graphics than NFS in VR. 

Otherwise my daily rig is some oem pcchips motherboard with intel 486-dx2 in it overclocked to 100mhz and watercooled with astonishing 24MB RAM and superb S3 Virge DX graphics with 4MB of VRAM for best performance in heavy 3D apps and games and with 850mb WD Caviar 4200RPM HDD for maximum storage space and speed.

Running  Windows 95 OSR2.5 with IE4 for amazing internet browsing experience

all this in glorious desktop case in elephant bone color. 

I used to spend hours every week fixing everyone's problems.  Considered doing it for a living up until a couple of years ago. 

But then they released Win10 and I threw in the towel.  I've tested it for a couple of days in a VM and decided that I wasn't going to touch any PC that runs it (except if the owner asks me to install win7, Win8.1 or Linux on it). 

On 11/21/2017 at 1:06 PM, Psittac said:

Just curious how many of you are the go to tech guy for friends and family.  I got a phone call from my blind friend asking if his OS was 32-bit or 64-bit...... 2.5 hours later I got back home having fixed my dad's computer, my mom's computer, my friends computer and restoring his nieces iphone.  At one point early on infront of my mom's computer I found myself with hand's in the air saying "no one knows how to use a freaking computer".

The past couple weeks I have attempted to make step by step tutorials with screen shot's on how to do nothing more than update their machine and run an anti-malware scan, you'd think I was speaking Latin. Le-Argh

haha ikr sometimes i feel like they dont even try to learn anything about how to use a computer, whenever something doesnt work with a click they think their computer is hacked xD