Microsoft finally kills the Kinect

ravenshrike

And lo, a significant part of the reason for the XBone's lagging in sales behind the PS4 is finally taken out back behind the woodshed and shot. MS has finally stopped manufacturing the Kinect, which no significant developer made games for anyway. Which means only the already made stock is available. Place your bets as to whether that stock will ever actually sell out.

https://www.fastcodesign.com/90147868/exclusive-microsoft-has-stopped-manufacturing-the-kinect

Manufacturing of the Kinect has shut down. Originally created for the Xbox 360, Microsoft’s watershed depth camera and voice recognition microphone sold ~35 million units since its debut in 2010, but Microsoft will no longer produce it when retailers sell off their existing stock. The company will continue to support Kinect for customers on Xbox, but ongoing developer tools remain unclear. Microsoft shared the news with Co.Design in exclusive interviews with Alex Kipman, creator of the Kinect, and Matthew Lapsen, GM of Xbox Devices Marketing.

and nothing of value was lost. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

If its a hardware piece that nobody likes, just simply drop it an hope to draw in more customers with lower prices.

3 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

https://www.fastcodesign.com/90147868/exclusive-microsoft-has-stopped-manufacturing-the-kinect

And lo, a significant part of the reason for the XBone's lagging in sales behind the PS4 is finally taken out back behind the woodshed and shot.

Why would an optional feature be responsible for less sales?

That would be pretty stupid from the consumer tbh.

Id say the poor performance is what made up the lagging sales.

People seem to understand how weak consoles are by now. And apart from people that just don't care at all and are fine to play at crappy graphics it is getting harder and harder to argue in favor of a console.

Truth be told,... the only console i bought in the past 10 years was a Xbox. And why? Because of kinect. When it released it was something that i could not get on my PC. And my wife loved it for workouts as well. So, without kinect we would not have considered a console at all. After all we can just stream all the games to our TV from our desktops, so why would be pay for weak hardware without any positive aspect at all? 

Kinect was not loved by the masses, but it was something unique that gave a reason to buy a console. Sad that it ended like this.

Am I the only one who's actually sad? I thought it was a really cool idea, and certainly had potential.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

5 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

For the first year all XBONEs included a Kinect. It wasn't until a year later when Microsoft eventually added a kinect-less XBONE (for $100 less), but the initial damage was done. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

For the first year all XBONEs included a Kinect. It wasn't until a year later when Microsoft eventually added a kinect-less XBONE (for $100 less), but the initial damage was done. 

Ah ok, did not know that.

I already had a kinect from the first generation. Did not consider the "current" consoles at all, so did not follow their marketing i guess.

Just saw some tests showing how lackluster the consoles where, and that the xbox was even worse. So i figured the better sales for the PS came because of bang for the buck stuff.

2 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

So i figured the better sales for the PS came because of bang for the buck stuff.

Well, the PS4 launched at $400 and the XBONE launched at $500 w/ Kinect ($400 a year later without Kinect). Had the XBONE not had the Kinect it would have likely sold a lot better than it did. The PS4 was still more powerful, so it may very well have still sold more units, however, I'd imagine that a lot of people would have taken the slight performance loss to stick with Microsoft for exclusives or because that's what they were used to/etc... But at a $100 premium and less performance things look different. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'd imagine that a lot of people would have taken the slight performance loss to stick with Microsoft for exclusives or because that's what they were used to/etc... But at a $100 premium and less performance things look different. 

I see.

The whole exclusive crap is my second reason (next to prefering good graphics and performance) to avoid consoles.

If you need exclusive games to sell your stuff, maybe your stuff is bad. Try investing the money you save on exclusive deals for better hardware. May work wonders.

Yay, The Eye of Sauron has been destroyed!

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

8 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Yay, The Eye of Sauron has been destroyed!

Say whaaaat?

7 minutes ago, Daring said:

The Kinect was a solution looking for a problem. I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did.

It's actually really cool and cheap tool for making 3d scans, it's a lot more usefulfor researchers than it ever was for gamers. I wish they kept making a version for that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

50 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

Ah ok, did not know that.

I already had a kinect from the first generation. Did not consider the "current" consoles at all, so did not follow their marketing i guess.

Just saw some tests showing how lackluster the consoles where, and that the xbox was even worse. So i figured the better sales for the PS came because of bang for the buck stuff.

44 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Well, the PS4 launched at $400 and the XBONE launched at $500 w/ Kinect ($400 a year later without Kinect). Had the XBONE not had the Kinect it would have likely sold a lot better than it did. The PS4 was still more powerful, so it may very well have still sold more units, however, I'd imagine that a lot of people would have taken the slight performance loss to stick with Microsoft for exclusives or because that's what they were used to/etc... But at a $100 premium and less performance things look different. 

It didn't help that in addition to the performance difference between the Xbox One and the PS4, the Kinect also dropped another 10-15% performance hit in consumption of system resources even when it wasn't in use until a patch quite a few months later.

1 hour ago, Rattenmann said:

That would be pretty stupid from the consumer tbh.

Id say the poor performance is what made up the lagging sales.

People seem to understand how weak consoles are by now. And apart from people that just don't care at all and are fine to play at crappy graphics it is getting harder and harder to argue in favor of a console.

Truth be told,... the only console i bought in the past 10 years was a Xbox. And why? Because of kinect. When it released it was something that i could not get on my PC. And my wife loved it for workouts as well. So, without kinect we would not have considered a console at all. After all we can just stream all the games to our TV from our desktops, so why would be pay for weak hardware without any positive aspect at all? 

Kinect was not loved by the masses, but it was something unique that gave a reason to buy a console. Sad that it ended like this.

Maybe you're not too familiar with the history of the Kinect and the XBO. At launch it wasn't optional and had to be connected at all times iirc. This was changed because of the backlash and it's still left a scar on the system.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

59 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

I see.

The whole exclusive crap is my second reason (next to prefering good graphics and performance) to avoid consoles.

If you need exclusive games to sell your stuff, maybe your stuff is bad. Try investing the money you save on exclusive deals for better hardware. May work wonders.

Or maybe their exclusives are just really good? I have been tempted to buy a ps4 for the exclusives like uncharted and the last of us. Also have considered getting a 3ds for Pokemon games. I mean look at the Xbox and the halo franchise. I'm taking the original 3 games. They helped sell the console not because the console was bad but because the game was so good. I mean if an experience is enriched to the point where it's worth buying it really doesn't matter if it is the console or the game that is good because the experience is.

I am sorry, but your entry does not meet the posting guidelines, and has been moved out until corrected:

> You need to explain the news in your own words as well as the rest.

Well that is a real shame... I mean.. yes it sucked.. but on my previous job we were doing some R&D with Kinect (prototype for body tracking), and the moment you combined 2x XBox One (NOT 360.. that one was awful!), to track 1 body, basically combining the data of 2x Kinect from 2 different perspective, the tracking was SERIOUSLY impressive.

Basically, if Microsoft made the XBox One version day 1, with 2x cameras instead of 1 in the hardware (like your 2 eyes), I am most convinced that it would have worked 100x better, and rarely have any issues. But of course, it would require calibration, and it would drive up the cost a lot more, especially in the XBox 360 days (or you know.. wait), and it would be totally a different story. Maybe all the promised marketed material that never really materialized would have 100% possible.

Just now, Teddy07 said:

I don't get all the hate.

Sure you might not like it but other people might have.

my dislike went to hate when the forced people to buy it as part of the xbone originally. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Am I the only one who's actually sad? I thought it was a really cool idea, and certainly had potential.

Sort of the story of many Microsoft products as of late. Windows Phone, had potential and lots of cool concepts (I'm still enthused with Continuum), but it never really addressed core issues enough to buy into the hearts of the public, so it was ultimately placed off life support. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

my dislike went to hate when the forced people to buy it as part of the xbone originally. 

You have the option to buy it, nobody did force you. You dislike something, just don't buy it ;)

Just my opinion. ;)