Microsoft officially discontinues support for Windows 10 November 2015 Update

AlTech

Microsoft is officially discontinuing support for the Windows 10 November 2015 Update. The update in question is Build 10586.

This is because of the 'Windows As A Service" model.

Microsoft ended support for the original release version of Windows 10 in May, and now it's doing the same for the first major update to hit the OS. As of October 10, Windows 10 version 1511 will no longer receive any more security or quality updates from Microsoft. This applies to Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Education, and Windows 10 Enterprise editions. Version 1511 was first released to PCs in November 2015.

While Windows 10 version 1511 will continue to run if you have it installed, a lack of security updates will mean leaving yourself open to some potentially nasty threats. The simplest solution, and one Microsoft recommends in a support document, is to update to the latest release version, the Creators Update. At the very least, moving up to the Anniversary Update should ensure you continue to receive security updates until support for it is dropped in the coming months.

The move is part of a larger "Windows as a Service" (WaaS) push Microsoft undertook with the release of Windows 10. Under this model, new feature releases are pushed out to the general public at a more rapid pace than in previous versions of Windows. As a result, each new major release is only supported for a limited time. As Microsoft explains:

Here's what Microsoft had to say:

Since version 1511 was released in November 2015, Microsoft has released additional feature updates that build upon each other, delivering the newest features and more comprehensive security. Windows 10 was designed as a service, whereby feature updates are required a couple times a year. For most consumers, both quality and feature updates are delivered automatically according to their Windows Update settings.

We've known this was going to happen for a while.

So yeah, another Windows 10 version bites the dust.  Oh well :P.

Notes:

* This does not apply to Windows 10 Mobile.

Source:

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-ends-support-windows-10-pc-version-1511

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Well yeah, it's been a while since then. Wouldn't make sense not to update. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Would be nice if they offered LTS outside enterprise. 

18 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Some people have disabled Windows Updates because it bothered them.

Just now, tsk said:

Would be nice if they offered LTS outside enterprise. 

It could make developers unhappy because then they can't use newer APIs if they want to target LTS type of users.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It could make developers unhappy because then they can't use newer APIs if they want to target LTS type of users.

Some people disabled Windows Updates since they were forcing non essential updates (eg feature updates), and wasting expensive wireless data (its a PITA in Australia to only have it or dialup as an option in some areas-25GB/month for $150 or ultra slow internet)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Some people disabled Windows Updates since they were forcing non essential updates (eg feature updates), and wasting expensive wireless data (its a PITA in Australia to only have it or dialup as an option in some areas-25GB/month for $150 or ultra slow internet)

The setting to toggle a "Metered Connection" has existed for a while. Disabling Windows Updates to fix other issues not related to Windows Updates doesn't seem very efficient imho.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

The setting to toggle a "Metered Connection" has existed for a while. Disabling Windows Updates to fix other issues not related to Windows Updates doesn't seem very efficient imho.

Considering with Windows 7 you can manually select which updates to install (aka only security updates), its not my fucking fault that Microsoft went full retard with the new update system. The problem is solely related to the version of Windows Update in Windows 10, and not the issues with internet connection.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yeah I know, but to get new OS and disable update straight on and for longer period is insane.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I finally updated like a month ago from that update

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Disabling Windows updates... or How to Help Malware Thrive...

=====================================================================

I have had updates set to automatic since windows 7,  TBH I've never really had an issue.   A few inconveniences and some stupid popup options, but nothing deal breaking.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Some people, like me, want to be able to use our computers for a long time without rebooting.  I've heard of some systems with uptime measured in years or even decades.  For me, it's time to reboot my OS when I'm doing a major hardware change, like getting a new motherboard, CPU and RAM.  (Just replacing a died-of-old-age SeaSonic Prime PSU - the ones with the 12-year warranty - should only require hibernation.  Speaking of which, I'd love to see that be automatic somehow - upon loss of power, the system is already hibernated.  Then after going through like 3 of those PSUs, THEN it would be time for a new mobo.  (And I wish mobos wouldn't be obsolete so fast.))

@PianoPlayer88Key Or maybe doing a clean driver update.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

2 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Some people, like me, want to be able to use our computers for a long time without rebooting.  I've heard of some systems with uptime measured in years or even decades.  For me, it's time to reboot my OS when I'm doing a major hardware change, like getting a new motherboard, CPU and RAM.  (Just replacing a died-of-old-age SeaSonic Prime PSU - the ones with the 12-year warranty - should only require hibernation.  Speaking of which, I'd love to see that be automatic somehow - upon loss of power, the system is already hibernated.  Then after going through like 3 of those PSUs, THEN it would be time for a new mobo.  (And I wish mobos wouldn't be obsolete so fast.))

If power suddenly goes out, there's not time to create a hibernation file. The way hibernation works is that it saves the state to the disk. I generally don't recommend leaving your system on 24/7. If you're not going to use your system, turn it off. No point causing unnecessary wear and tear and wasting power.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

13 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

As my internet is via a tight (6 GB mobile data plan), I disable updates to keep Windows from eating my data limit. Well, that, and for some bizarre reason, Windows Update also eats an inordinate quantity of cpu, even when completely offline. Not worth leaving it enabled.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

6 hours ago, Whispre said:

Disabling Windows updates... or How to Help Malware Thrive...

Windows update helps far less with malware than an adblocker, strict user control settings and common sense, as a  result I have yet to get a virus since I've blocked updates. Despite previously getting them (adblocker helps sooooo much)

Now can it help, yes though only in fringe cases and having a third party means of security is more effective than what windows does anyway so no real loss.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

4 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

If power suddenly goes out, there's not time to create a hibernation file. The way hibernation works is that it saves the state to the disk. I generally don't recommend leaving your system on 24/7. If you're not going to use your system, turn it off. No point causing unnecessary wear and tear and wasting power.

One idea I've had for that would be a dedicated hibernation area of flash storage.  It would keep that updated, so you basically wouldn't lose much if anything when you shut down.  (At most you'd lose whatever hadn't gotten saved because of the flash storage being slower than RAM.)

Another idea, at least for desktop PCs, would be having a mini battery / capacitor in a PSU, along with a user-replaceable M.2 SSD that's not accessible by the user from the OS.  Upon loss of A/C power, it would switch to the cap/batt, and immediately hibernate to that SSD.

That also reminds me of something I wished I had as a kid - an "oh no! my parents are coming down the hall and I'm not supposed to be using the PC!" button. :P Basically I'd have some way of detecting my parent coming out of his/her bedroom across the house - either a laser trigger, or a camera.  Upon triggering, it'd flash some alarm device near where I was at the computer.  I'd then hit the "panic" / "boss" button, and the system would immediately turn off the lights and fans, spin down (but not off) hard drives (this was back in the 1990s, before SSDs were popular in consumer PCs), and do a "proper" shut down / hibernation, while the system is already running low enough power so everything appears to have been off for a while when the parents arrive in the room. :P  (That still wouldn't have solved the issue of some parts still being warm, though... although it WAS long enough ago so that some things, like CPUs and GPUs, didn't even have heatsinks.)

7 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

As my internet is via a tight (6 GB mobile data plan), I disable updates to keep Windows from eating my data limit. Well, that, and for some bizarre reason, Windows Update also eats an inordinate quantity of cpu, even when completely offline. Not worth leaving it enabled.

I'm just curious where do you people live with like such mobile data cap? Are you like using internet from your smartphone data plan or what? Or do you have home line one. 

I man I have utter garbage internet but no cap. 

3 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

I'm just curious where do you people live with like such mobile data cap? Are you like using internet from your smartphone data plan or what? Or do you have home line one. 

I man I have utter garbage internet but no cap. 

Had a bit of a falling out with the cable internet provider (Comcast) so I don't plan to go back.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

50 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Had a bit of a falling out with the cable internet provider (Comcast) so I don't plan to go back.

My relatives in LA like VZ Fios so much

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

15 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Some people, like me, want to be able to use our computers for a long time without rebooting.  I've heard of some systems with uptime measured in years or even decades.  For me, it's time to reboot my OS when I'm doing a major hardware change, like getting a new motherboard, CPU and RAM.  (Just replacing a died-of-old-age SeaSonic Prime PSU - the ones with the 12-year warranty - should only require hibernation. 

It helps if you have Windows 10 Pro, and also some of the latest builds (1607 and 1703) have improved upon the options you have for Windows update. 
I have 4 Windows 10 Pro VMs running at work, automatic updates enabled and everything, mostly I end up rebooting them manually, and I've seen over 60 days uptime on them all. The only time I experienced a forced update was when 2 of them had gone from 1607 to 1703, this was sometime this summer (so several months after 1703 released).

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Ow you're from Cali couldn't see before when I was on smartphone.

Seems like so many people are on some cap limit internet though mainly in US as I've seen. My monthly 2GB limit for smartphone is ridiculously expensive, so that sucks as far as mobile one. But my wired line with no cap is shitty slow and no optic infrastructure to upgrade, not even speed increase due to bad old copper wiring ugh.

Worst internet EU btw.

8 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Seems like so many people are on some cap limit internet though mainly in US as I've seen. My monthly 2GB limit for smartphone is ridiculously expensive, so that sucks as far as mobile one. But my wired line with no cap is shitty slow and no optic infrastructure to upgrade, not even speed increase due to bad old copper wiring ugh.

Worst internet EU btw.

My mobile data has a cap, I share 12GB with my mom. We pay under $180/mo for a Galaxy S6 and S8+, her S6 will be paid off in November and I planned on paying my S8+ off early like I paid my S6 off early. Was considering maybe upgrading to Verizon's unlimited plan which is basically a 22GB or 25GB (can't remember which) shared data plan if used on more than 1 line where it throttles when you go past that limit but you won't be charged for going over as it is "unlimited". The plan cost appears to be pretty similar to our current plan which was an older plan of theirs that they've allowed us to keep even when I upgraded my S6 back in August.

Now my home internet, I've heard that they have a soft data cap but in reality I don't think they actually have a data cap. We pay about $70/mo for that, but the speeds are atrocious. 12mbps down/7mbps up. I get at least the download speed but even wired, I don't get the upload speed. My upload doesn't usually go past 1mbps with it generally being well under 1mbps, and this is wired. For most things it's actually not that slow but like if I wanna upload a video to youtube or stream, it's either slow or it just does not work well.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

25 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Worst internet EU btw.

How much do you pay for 2GB limit? I went to Tele2 1TB 4G for ~$27. Been using 20G+ monthly with no issues. Even get normally 30-40Mb, up to even 50+ in some areas in Zagreb. You were from Split right? How is the infrastructure there? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

13 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

and common sense

That doesnt apply anymore. Well known sites are being targeted and common sense of what to do will help but AV protection is still needed.