Intel’s RYZEN-KILLER - Core i7 8700K

Not a single launch video of Coffee Lake compared the 8700k directly against the 1800x which in price is its direct competitor when you account the increased motherboard cost of intel.

Also holy balls 5ghz is amazong for gaming.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

32 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

Not a single launch video of Coffee Lake compared the 8700k directly against the 1800x which in price is its direct competitor when you account the increased motherboard cost of intel.

Also holy balls 5ghz is amazong for gaming.

*cough*

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Why was the 1800x  Skipped? Thats the pricepoint that matches the 8700k.....

instead we got a 299 vs a 380 [not including the more expensive motherboards and intels lack of stock cooler]

Also god damn look at the value on that i5-8400

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

1080p CSGO benchmarks where for the 8600k and 8700k???

Unlike Ryzen, Coffee Lake has no dedicated lanes for M.2 :( I hope that eventually the Intel mainstream gets more PCIe lanes.

But the competition is heating up, and that's awesome :) 

1 hour ago, 8KDPS said:

Something is wrong.

-snip-

Hmm, that's interesting. Seems to require further investigation tbh.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

Its because Paul's Hardware is the only channel that actually bothered to mentioned "Hey, the prices you see on screen are by the 1000 unit pricing, NOT off the shelf retail".... so to call the prices MSRP is misleading

Capture.PNG

That is nice to know, the pricing on that 8400 though doesn't seem TOO bad, i mean if you look at the 1600/x price it could still be a bit cheaper but certainly isn't the worst

4 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

That is nice to know, the pricing on that 8400 though doesn't seem TOO bad, i mean if you look at the 1600/x price it could still be a bit cheaper but certainly isn't the worst

looks like amazon has them for 190.00 with prime shipping. Motherboards are in general a bit more expensive so you're likely looking at 30-40 dollars more than a 1600x setup.

That said i know i can OC 1600x to 4.0 on the stock cooler so i wonder how well the stock intel cooler will do with the i5.

Maybe we can get a 20 dollar drop in price for the 1600x now. that'd be cool.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Maybe I'm just confused, but if it's same socket but not backwards compatible.. what's the difference between that and just a new socket?

why so early in the morning

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Alpha297 said:

Maybe I'm just confused, but if it's same socket but not backwards compatible.. what's the difference between that and just a new socket?

Something something power delivery mainly something something buy more motherboards you fucks.

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

AMD fanbois: Ryzen is the new king and intel better be afraid

Intel:Guys here's our new top dog that's MSRP is cheaper and has two less cores

AMD fanbois:Thats cute but its still cant touch ry....

Intel:here are the benchmarks...*8700k crushes charts and i5 price to performance is through the roof*

AMD fanbois:...

Intel:....

AMD fanbois: Yeah well all that matters is Zen 2

You been spending time on WCCFtech or something? That level of fanboyism is really only over there. 

AMD did it a year ago, for roughly the same price. That's what matters. 

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

AMD fanbois: Ryzen is the new king and intel better be afraid

Intel:Guys here's our new top dog that's MSRP is cheaper and has two less cores

AMD fanbois:Thats cute but its still cant touch ry....

Intel:here are the benchmarks...*8700k crushes charts and i5 price to performance is through the roof*

AMD fanbois:...

Intel:....

AMD fanbois: Yeah well all that matters is Zen 2

Considering that we're comparing it to 8 months old cpus that are 3/4ths as expensive, I don't think ryzen is really a loser here... the i5 also gets pretty much crushed by the ryzen 5 lineup in many situations. The 1800x was never really a great value options if that's what you're referring to. I'm also pretty sure that this launch will lead to price cuts from AMD (which is nice). Plus, given the discrepancy of numbers between these tests and those from other outlets so there may be more to it than what LMG was able to test.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

30 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Considering that we're comparing it to 8 months old cpus that are 3/4ths as expensive

Ok and the same argument was made when ryzen was released. "wow look how much ryzen stomps on these last years chips!!". And that will be said on the next release and the one after that. Its an endless cycle fighting back and forth.

Also the 1800x is still in the equation here because its top dog vs top dog. You cant say ignore it because its price is already stupid. 

This is all just a flame war. 

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Its because Paul's Hardware is the only channel that actually bothered to mentioned "Hey, the prices you see on screen are by the 1000 unit pricing, NOT off the shelf retail".... so to call the prices MSRP is misleading

Capture.PNG

What does it mean?

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Ok and the same argument was made when ryzen was released. "wow look how much ryzen stomps on these last years chips!!". And that will be said on the next release and the one after that. Its an endless cycle fighting back and forth.

Also the 1800x is still in the equation here because its top dog vs top dog. You cant say ignore it because its price is already stupid. 

This is all just a flame war. 

Ryzen stomped intel's offerings at all price ranges and by a large margin, which is not what is happening here. The time of release was also much closer. And I'm not sure what your point is with the 1800x... are you looking for the best value, or just to "score a point" in favour of your favourite brand? I'll be the first to say the 1800x is a bad value, that doesn't mean ryzen as a whole is automatically bad...

Nobody is flaming here, you're the only one who seems to want to make this a brand vs brand fight. All I did was point out that this release is not nearly the downfall of ryzen chips such as the 1700 and 1600 as they still hold their own really well in their price range. And I also wanted to point out that this does not subtract anything from how game changing ryzen was when it launched, 8 months ago.

5 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

What does it mean?

Bulk prices are lower because they don't factor in the reseller's margin and retail taxes. Those are the prices you get when buying directly from Intel, but Intel only sells in large crates.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

What does it mean?

It's basically bulk pricing. Buying things in huge quantities to get a per-unit discount. Thats how stores like Costco and websites like Massdrop work, and are able to offer discounted prices 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Based on Skylake scaling, I'd expect around 1450 on Cinebench R15, which is bang in the middle of the low results from guru3D and Anandtech, and the higher results of LTT and GN. This will be fun to figure out. I have a 8350k due to arrive tomorrow, but no HT on that so it can't give the whole story.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I don't understand how using the same socket only modified to prevent backwards compatibility and the same chipset as previous gen can be called "technological advance". All I can see is a weird money grab. 

Just now, havok0159 said:

I don't understand how using the same socket only modified to prevent backwards compatibility and the same chipset as previous gen can be called "technological advance". All I can see is a weird money grab. 

Is there going to be cheaper motherboards with this chipset? Otherwise getting an R5 1600 with a $100 motherboard might be a better deal than getting an i5 8400 with a $150 motherboard.

4 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

I'm surprised how expensive the compatible motherboard are. Are there going to be cheaper options are aroun $100 for non-overclockers?

According to Tom's Hardware

And in a clear indication that Intel really hurried its launch schedule, less expensive B- or H-series chipsets won't be ready until next year. Paying a premium for Z-class core logic isn't much of a surprise for enthusiasts, who need the higher-end chipset to support unlocked multipliers. But it's a little bit overkill for everyone else.

Yay competition! Intel finally pulled head out of its rear and brought some really nice CPUs. I already built Ryzen rig for myself, but I am all for advancing tech forward.

What worries me though are temperatures. From Ars Technica review, they were barely able to hold CPU under 90 degrees Celsius with 280mm AIO, full load not OC. That's a bit concerning. While some coolers may perform worse, some better, would enthusiasts need to add 30 more dollars for delid kit if they want to keep temperatures at bay?

I wouldn't say "It a MAJOR win for consumers." at all.

Yes, after 11 long LONG years we finally get more cores, but in 2017...

... it is OBVIOUS we are only HALFWAY where we should have been, and Intel doesn't care as long as their are milking us... :(

The Cinebench score for the 1700X is a tad suspect. My chip gets around 1520-1530 stock, never below 1500 -How'd they get 1440?

I don't mean to say the benchmarks are falsified and all that, CB is the only one I have stock scores for and I just noticed it's oddly low.

Those are promising results, though. I can't see myself getting another Intel chip in the foreseeable future, but a well improved product is always a good thing.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.