Intel’s RYZEN-KILLER - Core i7 8700K

On 10/6/2017 at 7:33 AM, VirpZZ said:

Seems like Intel is "cheating" with multi-core frequencies now.

Not really. ASUS' default state of MCE is not Intel's problem, and even if Intel isn't pushing the tubo clock table, it's still part of the stock configuration to have the turbo table. 

On 10/6/2017 at 5:51 AM, Unimportant said:

That little quadcore i3-8100 is the real news imho.

On 10/7/2017 at 9:33 AM, patrick3027 said:

Exactly. I'm baffled Linux called it boring. It's the most disruptive news from this launch.

Price cut and rebrand of the i5. Stop the presses.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 hours ago, aliquis said:

My guess is those who got 15xx score in CB used fast RAM and XMP profile which made the motherboard chance what they consider "stock" to 4.7 GHz on all cores.

JayzTwoCents already apologized and explained it in his follow up videos. If you enable XMP the BIOS asks for permission and warns you that "all core enhancement" needs "sufficient processor cooling". But at default there is no asking and no warning. So you are covertly overclocking and making your system unstable. This is unacceptable.

"we intended to use Blender for the benchmark – but it just wasn’t stable on the ASUS Z370 board with multi-core enhancement enabled.
Enabling the 4.7GHz forced all-core Turbo pushes us to 145W, a substantial 42% increase in power consumption for our 8.9% increase in Cinebench performance."
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3077-explaining-coffee-lake-turbo-8700k-8600k

11 hours ago, Dark Force said:

@GabenJr - Based on this, will LTT be doing a follow up video on Coffee Lake vs Ryzen? If the information in the article is correct, the video as it currently sits is misleading of Coffee Lake's actual performance out of the box and is instead showcasing a specific mother board vendor's implementation of auto-overclocking.

I don't think so, CL still beats Ryzen. It still remains the best option for pure gaming.

12 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Price cut and rebrand of the i5. Stop the presses.

Yeah price cuts, who cares about that. It completely changes the bang/buck ratio and makes Intel competitive against Ryzen again. 

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

1 hour ago, Ezilkannan said:

I don't think so, CL still beats Ryzen. It still remains the best option for pure gaming.

That is a very specific use case though. What about compute performance for programmers, video editing, etc? Or total price (CPU, MoBo, cooler,etc) to performance? As it stands, the video is misleading and could cause people to spend a lot more for something that they could have gotten similar performance to for much less.

Linus is pretty above board with this kind of stuff (remember them pulling the Note S8 review and re releasing it over the mistake with Bixby vs Siri?). It would be extremely disappointing if they didn't do the same for this.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've never owned a computer.. so I decided I'm going to build a high end gaming setup for my first.. I've decided that I want the i7 8700k but have had some confusion on finding a good z370 mobo.. any suggestions. Personally I don't want to spend over $300 on one.

13 minutes ago, Thaddie said:

I've never owned a computer.. so I decided I'm going to build a high end gaming setup for my first.. I've decided that I want the i7 8700k but have had some confusion on finding a good z370 mobo.. any suggestions. Personally I don't want to spend over $300 on one.

You would be better off starting your own thread to get some build advice.

9 hours ago, Legendarypoet said:

You would be better off starting your own thread to get some build advice.

Yeah.. I kinda was figuring that out myself.. the whole RAM topic needs to be addressed as well.. lol

21 minutes ago, Thaddie said:

Yeah.. I kinda was figuring that out myself.. the whole RAM topic needs to be addressed as well.. lol

Do a thread on new builds and planning

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

• 3 weeks later...

any idea how much hash can get i7 8700K on biblepay mining?