Intel’s RYZEN-KILLER - Core i7 8700K

9 hours ago, 8KDPS said:

Overclocked scores 8700k on all benchs vs stock ryzens. Why?

implying the few hundred mhz you get OC'ing ryzen chips matters at all lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1 hour ago, HimymCZe said:

I wouldn't say "It a MAJOR win for consumers." at all.

Yes, after 11 long LONG years we finally get more cores, but in 2017...

... it is OBVIOUS we are only HALFWAY where we should have been, and Intel doesn't care as long as their are milking us... :(

Yeah.  I agree, the rate of improvements over the last several years sucks, last 10 months or so notwithstanding.

My dad bought a 286-10 (cpu, board, case, psu, ram, keyboard) for $940 in January 1989.  In Oct 1995, he bought a 486 DX4-120 CPU for $102.  There's like a 55-70x or so performance difference there! (That's TIMES, not percent.)

599419e8e2668_286-12(1989)vs486-120(1995)priceside-by-side2017-08-160259a.thumb.jpg.d56739e07cc1e02aba7e5d9d986056a2.jpg  599414e5d4de4_IPCgainsscreenshot2017-08-160235a.thumb.png.58a546dbbf588843fdd6f981ebc6340d.png

Going from an 8086 to a Pentium? Now THAT's a performance leap.  I don't even think an 8700K, or i7-7980XE, TR-1950X, etc. are as many times faster than a Pentium 200, as a Pentium 200 is faster than an 8086-5. :o

I saw an article on Tom's Hardware that said

Released in 1982, the 80286 was 3.6 times faster than the 8086 at the same frequency.

If we could have IPC gains like that, that'd be AWESOOMEE!! :D For example, if a 7700K could get 194 single-threaded at 4.5 GHz, the 8700K would have done 698 single-threaded at 4.5 GHz if it had that much improvement.  (Of course I wasn't expecting it to jump like that :P)

28 minutes ago, Lays said:

kek

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I do kinda wish the video encoding performance was better.  If something reasonably priced (under $350 for CPU, or $500 for CPU + board, or $600 for CPU + board + RAM) could do 60+ fps (or >1-2x realtime) encoding with the settings / programs pictured below, that'd be quite nice. :)

59d6bcd1d3fc4_TWBD-HS(TMc)2017-10-04c09-ss01-Handbrake8KH.26560fpsq0placebokeyint118.30fps000.0avgfps000.thumb.png.6937b83e353d3dea1723560d92c3d854.png 59d6bcd447939_TWBD-HS(TMc)2017-10-04f04-ss02-Handbrake4KH.26430fpsq0fastkeyint190.19fps004.3avgfps006.thumb.png.c5b46fcb79a0c1dea4087b004ba65bd8.png 59d6bcd66ee4e_TWBD-HS(TMc)2017-10-04i01-ss03-ResolveH.2643840x216029.97fpsbestqualkeyframesevery12done000157remain.thumb.png.1126e2bacb06c2b5379d0bf3d8968ecf.png

(I was also going to put OBS in there, but couldn't figure out how to make it do 4K H.264 lossless, not that my 5mbps up would let me stream that anyway :P)

My 59d6bc1276ebc_P1430774-laptopcpuupgrade-i3-6100-b.thumb.JPG.12242a1cb7e3c1112d4f9efefea31da6.JPG doesn't really need an upgrade from the i7-6700K that's in it.  (That pic was taken before I took out the i3-6100 that I'd first put in it.  Was gonna wait to upgrade, but the 6700K went on sale for $259 Black Fri 2016, so I jumped.)

Now, on the other hand, if someone had a system like what's in the VM below, where you're practically pinning the CPU, RAM and Disk in task manager JUST on the desktop after a fresh install -- THEN, maybe it's time for an upgrade. :P

59d6bcddcb4a0_VBox052017-10-05-ss04-Win10-i7-6700K1thd5cap256MBRAM-100cpu250mb(98)ram100disk.thumb.png.ba9051d88aae191bdc12035e85720e3e.png

(I think with 5% execution cap in Virtualbox on a 4 GHz CPU, that'd be like 200 MHz - 5% of 4 GHz.  I wish it'd show the simulated speed instead of the stock reported clock speed.)

Now THAT'S a system that *BARELY* runs, or is at/near the minimum possible, maybe - something that has its resources just about maxed out JUST booting the freshly-installed OS :o (I'm not quite calling it maxed out, since there are little dips; it's not pinned at 100% constantly like your CPU would be if you were running the CPU test on Aida64, or Prime95, assuming you weren't thermal throttling.)

Yes, it took a several minutes just do do each of show the login screen, show the desktop, open task manager, etc. :o

Okay, now I want to see someone run Windows 10 on ACTUAL hardware like that :P (256 MB RAM, 200 MHz CPU.)

Although, I DID cheat a little - when I installed it, I gave it 1GB RAM and 1 thread at 50% execution cap (2 GHz), then while setting it up turned it up to 6GB RAM, 3.2 GHz 3 threads; THEN, I shut it down, turned things down, and restarted it.  And, I am hosting the .VDI on an SSD.  Challenge: do it on a 5400rpm IDE HDD or SATA 1.5gbps HDD. :P Bonus points for using an MFM drive xD

I wonder when the price will start to drop

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

12 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

AMD fanbois: Ryzen is the new king and intel better be afraid

Intel:Guys here's our new top dog that's MSRP is cheaper and has two less cores

AMD fanbois:Thats cute but its still cant touch ry....

Intel:here are the benchmarks...*8700k crushes charts and i5 price to performance is through the roof*

AMD fanbois:...

Intel:....

AMD fanbois: Yeah well all that matters is Zen 2

Non fanboys: Sweet, now I a reason to upgrade!

3 hours ago, Lays said:

So sayeth the guy that traded his 6700K for a 7700K for a few hundred mhz increase in OCing.

Besides, I have napkin math somewhere that pins a theoretical 8700K at 5GHz being right up 4GHz 1800X's ass, when only looking at IPC, clocks, and core count. If IMC, CCX, cache structure, and scaling across cores was taken into consideration, of course the 1800X loses.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

That little quadcore i3-8100 is the real news imho. Priced right in the sweet zone where most boxes are moved, it might be a big winner.

On 05/10/2017 at 10:20 AM, 8KDPS said:

Overclocked scores 8700k on all benchs vs stock ryzens. Why?

23 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Uh… No? Those are all stock scores. The OC scores were only compared directly against stock 8700K (and 7700K) scores.

Seems like Intel is "cheating" with multi-core frequencies now. That explains all the large differences between reviews on thermals and performance.

[W]e’re not disclosing this stage of element as its proprietary to Intel. Intel solely specifies processor frequencies for base and single-core Turbo in our processor advertising and marketing and technical collateral, reminiscent of ARK, and never the multi-core Turbo frequencies. We’re aligning communications to be constant. All Turbo frequencies are opportunistic given their dependency on system configuration and workloads.

http://gamingbad.com/intel-will-no-longer-provide-per-core-turbo-frequencies-making-motherboard-tuning-impossible/

What happened to this video? Stupid benchmark decisions, bad script + video flow combination and that cinematic intro which resulted in one of the worst jokes ever seen on Linustechtips ...

I am very dissatisfied and disappointed

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

So with this 8700k coming out, does this mean I can finally afford a 4790k?

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

5 hours ago, GER_T4IGA said:

What happened to this video? Stupid benchmark decisions, bad script + video flow combination and that cinematic intro which resulted in one of the worst jokes ever seen on Linustechtips ...

I am very dissatisfied and disappointed

Can you elaborate a bit? I'd like to see where I can improve on this. Some things I've noted so far:

• Too many graphs - Being a major release that impacts the majority of our audience, I wanted to be thorough. Probably overdid it.
  • Lack of detail on the Core i3 - There was more planned, but we didn't have samples, so this was cut for runtime. Poor decision.
  • No 1800X - The 1700X was closer in price to the 8700K based on the data available to us; The 1800X at ~5% higher clocks and $100 more than the 1700X would have ended up with a worse value score and not significantly better raw scores. I'll argue this one to my grave.

I'd legit like to get some feedback for the future if you've got anything to add.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

jayztwocents did a good video on the 8th gen i7 comparisons. I'm quite pleased more from  the point of view that as I'm planning a build right now. It is nice that I can start right with the newest generation, I feel it will allow me to maximise the longevity I will get from the hardware. 

The voiceover didn't dwell on that (in fact it focused on the 8700K doing great, although the 7700K remained on top), but the 8400 systematically outperformed the 8700K. Is there any explanation for that? Is the multi-core boost actually worse in the HT-able chip than in the locked i5 or something? o.O 

It's also strange because in the "productivity" benchmarks the 8400 trailed behind the Ryzen 1600. It looked like a bipolar CPU, close to the best at gaming and rather underpower in the productivity tests.

I also didn't get the comment about power consumption, since the 8700K was actually closer to the i9 and Threadripper than to the other consumer CPUs.

On 06/10/2017 at 1:51 PM, Unimportant said:

That little quadcore i3-8100 is the real news imho. Priced right in the sweet zone where most boxes are moved, it might be a big winner.

Exactly. I'm baffled Linux called it boring. It's the most disruptive news from this launch.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

LTT and some other reviewers have been fooled by default OC BIOS (~10% more performance with all core turbo and +1Ghz L3 cache) for reviewers. Only by overclocking a 8700K can reach >1500 in Cinebench.

LTT should make that transparent (for example with YT annotations in the 8700K review and/or a new video)  and not let Asus/Intel get away with covert OC reviews. Otherwise LTT would let Asus/Intel harm its credibility and encourage even more cheating in the future. Also LTT should check clock speeds and BIOS settings next time to detect this kind of cheating in the future.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2017/10/07/Why-Do-Hardware-Reviewers-Get-Different-Benchmark-Results-1058/

2 hours ago, wo0t said:

LTT and some other reviewers have been fooled by default OC BIOS (~10% more performance with all core turbo and +1Ghz L3 cache) for reviewers. Only by overclocking a 8700K can reach >1500 in Cinebench.

LTT should make that transparent (for example with YT annotations in the 8700K review and/or a new video)  and not let Asus/Intel get away with covert OC reviews. Otherwise LTT would let Asus/Intel harm its credibility and encourage even more cheating in the future. Also LTT should check clock speeds and BIOS settings next time to detect this kind of cheating in the future.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2017/10/07/Why-Do-Hardware-Reviewers-Get-Different-Benchmark-Results-1058/

Intel cheating at benchmarks with golden chips and hidden overclock? No way.

The scores of Linus, Gamer Nexus jaytwocents and Hardware Canucks scores was basically OC scores because mistakes....
While PC pers, Pauls Hardware, Digital Foundrys (and some others) was not

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

16 minutes ago, Mihle said:

The scores of Linus, Gamer Nexus jaytwocents and Hardware Canucks scores was basically OC scores because mistakes....
While PC pers, Pauls Hardware, Digital Foundrys (and some others) was not

So, that's why there was a big difference in the scores 9_9

On 2017-10-05 at 3:45 PM, 8KDPS said:

Something is wrong.

91880.png

My guess is those who got 15xx score in CB used fast RAM and XMP profile which made the motherboard chance what they consider "stock" to 4.7 GHz on all cores.

It's also supported by the 5 GHz OC being very close to that score/4.7*5, so assuming score scaled with clock frequency it went 4.7 GHz on all cores which some motherboards supposedly do if you enable XMP.

15 hours ago, wo0t said:

@GabenJr - Based on this, will LTT be doing a follow up video on Coffee Lake vs Ryzen? If the information in the article is correct, the video as it currently sits is misleading of Coffee Lake's actual performance out of the box and is instead showcasing a specific mother board vendor's implementation of auto-overclocking.