General Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Discussion

Go to solution Solved by GrockleTD,

image.jpeg.b8411fead9bfaea71c078608c4627778.jpeg

1 hour ago, The Blackhat said:

@WhisperingKnickers how exactly do I do that? Any specific guidelines?

You can make a post in the Classifieds as well:

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/89-classifieds/

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Well, I got an EVGA X58 SLI3 and a GA-X58-USB3, the SLI3 has an i7-920, and the USB3 has an i7-950, they are pretty much socket protectors, i need them sold so I can buy an old thinkpad, I will ship to Canada, just offer me something, while I need them gone I can’t exactly accept pennies either, was thinking around $155 shipped for the SLI3+920 and $135 shipped for the USB3+950, just let me know what you think is fair, thanks.

Black Lightning
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.7 ghz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
2x8 GB 1600 MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport
MSI R9 290X Lightning
Corsair Crystal 280X Black RGB
240 GB Revodrive 3, 64 GB Sandisk SSD

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

@Crunchy Dragon thanks, I’ll post there as well.

Black Lightning
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.7 ghz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
2x8 GB 1600 MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport
MSI R9 290X Lightning
Corsair Crystal 280X Black RGB
240 GB Revodrive 3, 64 GB Sandisk SSD

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

If anyone has any help for our friend here that would be nice:

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

21 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

If anyone has any help for our friend here that would be nice:

Thanks for pointing me this way! 

I was looking at the Noctua NH-L12S but it doesn't look like it supports the 1366 socket and all the other coolers I've come across so far are all really tall. Ideally, it would be below $50 since this isn't a permanent solution.

1 hour ago, Titan087 said:

Thanks for pointing me this way! 

I was looking at the Noctua NH-L12S but it doesn't look like it supports the 1366 socket and all the other coolers I've come across so far are all really tall. Ideally, it would be below $50 since this isn't a permanent solution.

If it uses Secufirm, you just need the Secufirm mounts for it.

https://noctua.at/en/nm-i3-mounting-kit

You might be able to contact them and see if they can send you one. If you buy a Noctua heatsink and a motherboard doesn't support it and it's not a special edition for only a single socket at a cheaper price, they will send you the mounting kit for free. I'm not sure if they'll do it without a receipt for the motherboard though so I'd contact them.

But yeah, you just need the same mounting kit that anyone with a NH-D14 has or anything Noctua that supported 1366. I'm sure someone has them if they don't make them still or won't send you them.

It's $15 shipped from FrozenCPU, so it seems like they still make it and have them but it is out of stock at Newegg.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9750/bra-42/Noctua_NM-I3_SecuFirm_2_LGA1156_and_LGA1366_Mounting_Bracket_Kit.html

Just wondering but anyone here got contact with Linus? I'd like to Suggest that he do a video of a OCed X56xx on a X58 board & compare it to some brand new CPUs such as Ryzen 5 & 8th gen i5/i7 CPUs & maybe include some 1st & 2nd gen i5/i7 CPUs to show that Xeons CAN game and is not just for servers, not just now but back in the day also.

18 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

If it uses Secufirm, you just need the Secufirm mounts for it.

https://noctua.at/en/nm-i3-mounting-kit

You might be able to contact them and see if they can send you one. If you buy a Noctua heatsink and a motherboard doesn't support it and it's not a special edition for only a single socket at a cheaper price, they will send you the mounting kit for free. I'm not sure if they'll do it without a receipt for the motherboard though so I'd contact them.

But yeah, you just need the same mounting kit that anyone with a NH-D14 has or anything Noctua that supported 1366. I'm sure someone has them if they don't make them still or won't send you them.

It's $15 shipped from FrozenCPU, so it seems like they still make it and have them but it is out of stock at Newegg.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9750/bra-42/Noctua_NM-I3_SecuFirm_2_LGA1156_and_LGA1366_Mounting_Bracket_Kit.html

I'll definitely have to take look at that as the solution. I've been looking for other things but i'm just not having any real luck the few i've come across are not available anymore.

gonna do some longer term degredation testing - E5640 at 4.73 GHz with 1.53V in my daily until it degrades :P

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

Hi, I posted a thread yesterday and got linked here.
I'd really appreciate if you'd check out the thread and give me your opinion on what I should do.

Basically I'm thinking about putting together a system to fall back to in case my current motherboard gives up, which is likely.

I have a HP Proliant DL180 G6, minus the board.
But the board is cheap, so I'm thinking about going that route instead of fixing my already old PC. So I would have two systems, instead of one - and - dual xeons with them RAMs:3
And to be honest, to me, on the surface - it seems to me like it'd even be a little upgrade from my current i7 3770k.

My main concerns are that even though I think I've thought things trough, I might be missing something since I know next to nothing about server specifics. I do know that simple things can get complicated.
So I'd really appreciate if someone who has any experience using this board would share some knowledge - OR just general advice on if I should do this, or what would be better options, given my position.

Give me advice! I need it ?

The way prices are going these days, with DDR3 ram and such and realizing yet again the X58 systems are not really that bad, I may just keep mine and just OC it. I don't even remember what I paid for it, I believe it was only $100 but I could be wrong, could have been $200, usually I keep a printout of the ad, I know I have it around, its just in the pile in the tote. The guy was obviously an IT guy, with a work space in his townhouse garage, with several computers on the floor next to the one I bought, so he just used parts he could get a hold of to flip them. I found out that the O/S was not a normal license, but a bulk license probably from his employer.

I will have to really check out prices again and see what a OC'd X5650 is equivalent to with 12GB of ram.

Seems like its in stock form close to a i7-3770

It needs nothing, a dusting, take the for sale ad off of Kijiji, and perhaps install Linux, but still keep W7.

http://valid.x86.fr/8jhkin

So far no degradation noticeable, CPU works fine at 4.73 GHz :D It is much hotter then my other quads though, I had others that ran cooler then this one, even at 1.6V (this one needs ~1.53V for 4.73). 

Talking about experiments - putting my best CPUs under dice later this week, so got myself some emergency boards should something not work out with my Rampage II Extreme.

image0.jpg

(left one is actually mine, second one is a loaner to be used if something goes wrong)

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

On 10/6/2018 at 12:01 PM, Lord Letto said:

Just wondering but anyone here got contact with Linus? I'd like to Suggest that he do a video of a OCed X56xx on a X58 board & compare it to some brand new CPUs such as Ryzen 5 & 8th gen i5/i7 CPUs & maybe include some 1st & 2nd gen i5/i7 CPUs to show that Xeons CAN game and is not just for servers, not just now but back in the day also.

I have proposed a similar idea to them by email, my idea was for them to make a video about overclockable dual socket boards. These kinds of boards are uncommon and they have shown off their fans ASUS board a number of times. I offered to let them borrow my older EVGA board so they can compare the differences after 10 years but they never got back to me.

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, Lord Letto said:

He has used 1st gen xeon parts in scrapyard wars a couple of times. I'm not sure what he and LMG can do that TYC hasn't already done for the platform-- overclockable dual socket boards being the noted exception @WhisperingKnickers

Has anyone read up on the new 9th gen Intel stuff? My take is it's cool and all....but man, I don't see a reason to jump to it. X299 finally is less neutered, but at a $500 minimum CPU buy-in, hard to see the value there as well.

Might just do the SR-2 build and have fun tinkering.

Anyone with X58 play the new Assassin's Creed? Supposedly something in the game/drm won't allow it to run on non-AVX enabled CPUs, which are all of ours.

46 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Might just do the SR-2 build and have fun tinkering.

Anyone with X58 play the new Assassin's Creed? Supposedly something in the game/drm won't allow it to run on non-AVX enabled CPUs, which are all of ours.

Yess

I don't know about that game, that is really strange

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

5 hours ago, Ground said:

http://valid.x86.fr/8jhkin

So far no degradation noticeable, CPU works fine at 4.73 GHz :D It is much hotter then my other quads though, I had others that ran cooler then this one, even at 1.6V (this one needs ~1.53V for 4.73). 

Talking about experiments - putting my best CPUs under dice later this week, so got myself some emergency boards should something not work out with my Rampage II Extreme.

(left one is actually mine, second one is a loaner to be used if something goes wrong)

That orange board is super cool looking. I like that a lot.

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

35 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

Yess

I don't know about that game, that is really strange

What would you recommend for power supply, given that the SR-2 has 2x CPU connectors? Anything special or will most any suffice?

I'm totally not looking at Ebay right now.

23 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

What would you recommend for power supply, given that the SR-2 has 2x CPU connectors? Anything special or will most any suffice?

I'm totally not looking at Ebay right now.

I was using a 750W for a while but I have a 1000w now. It just kinda depends on which cpus you get and why gpu you plan to use.

Also you can use this to get a general idea of what you are comfortable with:

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

14 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

I was using a 750W for a while but I have a 1000w now. It just kinda depends on which cpus you get and why gpu you plan to use.

Also you can use this to get a general idea of what you are comfortable with:

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Thanks for that, that's a neat utility. I should've been clearer. Are there any specific concerns with respect to connecting the PSU to the SR-2? I.e., do most power supplies have enough cables to support dual CPU, or should I be looking at specific models?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Thanks for that, that's a neat utility. I should've been clearer. Are there any specific concerns with respect to connecting the PSU to the SR-2? I.e., do most power supplies have enough cables to support dual CPU, or should I be looking at specific models?

Thanks!

The only thing to be mindful of is to make sure you can have dual EPS power coords. From what I have seen most higher end/high wattage psus will have this option. My old psu was completely modular and so all I had to do was plug in an ectra eps cord. My current psu is semi-modular, it has the 24  pin and one 8 pin cpu cord built in but it came with an additional eps cord so all I needed to do was plug it in. Beyond that I can't think of anything. The Sr2 does give you the option to give each of the cpus an extra 6 pin plug in addition to the normal 8 pin but the 6 pin is optional for super extreme OCing.

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

1 minute ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

The only thing to be mindful of is to make sure you can have dual EPS power coords. From what I have seen most higher end/high wattage psus will have this option. My old psu was completely modular and so all I had to do was plug in an ectra eps cord. My current psu is semi-modular, it has the 24  pin and one 8 pin cpu cord built in but it came with an additional eps cord so all I needed to do was plug it in. Beyond that I can't think of anything. The Sr2 does give you the option to give each of the cpus an extra 6 pin plug in addition to the normal 8 pin but the 6 pin is optional for super extreme OCing.

LN2 cooling upgrade when?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

Awesome thanks! The utility you linked recommended the EVGA 1600w, which looks to have plenty of connections.

Just now, bimmerman said:

Awesome thanks! The utility you linked recommended the EVGA 1600w, which looks to have plenty of connections.

Goodness, 1600w? What are you planning to plug into the poor thing?

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

LN2 cooling upgrade when?

I would be happy to do a LN2 build if you sponsor me :)

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

2 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

Goodness, 1600w? What are you planning to plug into the poor thing?

Nowhere near that much haha. The utility thought 1200 -> 1600. Should be lower in actuality since I won't be running the crossfire 290s much beyond initial tinkering. Haven't done much other research but it's a starting point!