Less fps after motherboard chipset update

Fox420

So i upgraded my pc and i was following a youtube video to setup my new ryzen 7 7800X3d cpu and i had to install updated chipset drivers which the video mentioned after he installed it that you can best do this after testing pc performance in games.
However i had already tried running my rainbow six siege and i benchmarked 510 avg fps on it. I also tested my grayzone which i cant benchmark but i have around 170fps, these results are BEFORE i updated the driver chipset. but when i tested my games after the installation of the chipset drivers i had about 470 avg fps with benchmark on rainbow six siege and around 10/20fps less on grayzone. 
now this is not a big problem because i can play with that fps as its plenty but i am just confused why it dropped a bit.

I also notice that my game (r6 especially) looks a little different graphic wise, i think it could be nvidia 3d settings which i hope it is as they are reset but could this cause an fps change of like 30/40??.

can anyone tell me if the fps change is because of the new chipset drivers or something else? This is my first time that i swapped almost all parts of my pc and i installed them myself so im just stressing that i did something wrong which i hope i did not😅

Check your bios settings. Oftentimes, after an update, the settings (like EXPO) will reset.

^ That.
EXPO / XMP are usually turned off by BIOS updates.

Also:  Make sure Smart Access Memory / Resizable Bar isn't turned off.  

Also, microcode changes, or "overclocking" behaviors on the motherboards can be tweaked with updates, so that's also a possibility for minor changes 

4 hours ago, ARandomPerson said:

Check your bios settings. Oftentimes, after an update, the settings (like EXPO) will reset.

When i first booted my upgraded pc i turned EXPO on instantly but it caused me to boot very long and then the yellow and red light of CPU and DRAM light up and i dont know if this is bad or not because windows posts and boots it just takes very long. 

When turning on EXPO, memory training is performed to see what speeds work. If it boots into windows at the end, that is normal.

Just now, ARandomPerson said:

When turning on EXPO, memory training is performed to see what speeds work. If it boots into windows at the end, that is normal.

Ahh because i upgraded to a msi mag b650 tomahawk from a msi z370 tomahawk and with cpu i went from i58600k to a ryzen 7 7800X3D and i used to have XMP always on but bcuz its for intel i tried EXPO but when i tried it it took so long and i thought something was wrong because with XMP it boots very fast but is there a way to “fix” that or is that just how it is?

because i know it also makes it so ram has best performance (i got 2x32gb that can run 6000mhz but im on 4800mhz 

2 minutes ago, Fox420 said:

ut when i tried it it took so long and i thought something was wrong because with XMP it boots very fast but is there a way to “fix” that or is that just how it is?

Normally, the training only happens once, when you turn EXPO on. The training also happens with intel.

If boot times are significantly longer each time you boot up the computer, we have more troubleshooting to do.

15 minutes ago, ARandomPerson said:

Normally, the training only happens once, when you turn EXPO on. The training also happens with intel.

If boot times are significantly longer each time you boot up the computer, we have more troubleshooting to do.

Oh hmm well i did forgot to mention an important thing, the moment i Finished Upgrading my pc swapping the parts i was able to boot into my windows on my “old” ssd. This is also the time i tried the EXPO profile, im thinking maybe with other drivers still installed it could of have caused it because Now i am on a fresh window instal with gpu drivers installed, cpu drivers installed, mobo chipset driver update and a bios flash cuz i was watching a video and they said that with an ryzen 7 7800X3D cpu this is a must because without the bios flash the cpu might kill the motherboard. I have not tried running EXPO on after the reinstall because i found it scary that it did that because its my first time swapping mobo and cpu and cpu cooler and its on my pc so i dont wana break anything..

1 minute ago, Fox420 said:

I have not tried running EXPO on after the reinstall because i found it scary that it did that because its my first time swapping mobo and cpu and cpu cooler and its on my pc so i dont wana break anything

Yeah, that debacle was a thing. Expo will not blow up the CPU. Botched idle states from a bad Bios do that. Thank Asus for that Golden Nugget of lies

13 minutes ago, ARandomPerson said:

Yeah, that debacle was a thing. Expo will not blow up the CPU. Botched idle states from a bad Bios do that. Thank Asus for that Golden Nugget of lies

Ohh so it was a good thing i did the bios flash and chipset driver update? Also i am not home right now but i will update you as soon as i get home if expo works now. I will keep a close eye for the first boot that it will take a little longer and the yellow and red lights will turn on, and from the second boot everything should be like normal(no lights turning on and fast boot)?

7 minutes ago, Fox420 said:

second boot everything should be like normal(no lights turning on and fast boot)?

Yep. Everything should go as expected. 

1 hour ago, ARandomPerson said:

Yep. Everything should go as expected. 

Just got home, started my pc up straight to bios and enabled the EXPO profile,then restarted pc and the yellow light was on.. Then i fully turned off my pc, waited 10 seconds and started my pc and the red and yellow light was on, also the first and second time i booted it was slow. what do i have to do because i have no idea what this means.image.thumb.jpg.5a560f5b096b4782a95dd51599e5d3f3.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.c0351c73a5401d178adca11fe7a58919.jpg

Posted (edited)

Try just one stick of Ram in Dimm A2 with EXPO. If that goes, fine add the next one in B2. If errors show up for either, end the test.

Edited by ARandomPerson
Additional Clarification

9 hours ago, Fox420 said:

Just got home, started my pc up straight to bios and enabled the EXPO profile,then restarted pc and the yellow light was on.. Then i fully turned off my pc, waited 10 seconds and started my pc and the red and yellow light was on, also the first and second time i booted it was slow. what do i have to do because i have no idea what this means.image.thumb.jpg.5a560f5b096b4782a95dd51599e5d3f3.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.c0351c73a5401d178adca11fe7a58919.jpg

The slow boot sare very normal with AM5, specifically longer with MSI boards, my boots take almost a full minute on my B650 tomahawk, while this happens the cpu and RAM lights are on as these are the parts undergoing a process to try and boot, nothing wrong with them, turn on EXPO, wait til windows, then test again

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3