HYPERLOOP in Canada

Wintyr

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/09/15/toronto-montreal-corridor-a-top-candidate-for-a-hyperloop_a_23210760/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

Looks like this thing is set to travel between Montreal and Toronto and looking to connect or add to the US cities. looks like that whole video Linus posted about hyperloop was indeed actually about more than just sensor research and was indeed about Travel methods and being done sooner than we all thought.  I think it's actually pretty cool and there will always be those who want to scare you about the dangers of using such a thing but the same was said about cars and plains and airships well mabey the airship one is a bad example but still.  now we just need a vertical hyperloop to take us to space.

Oooo... but being stuck in a tunnel they sucked the air out of is scary... just like going in that big tunnel under the I-forgot-the-name-why-didn't-I-learn-anything-in-school channel between the UK and France. Because if your transport device break, bye bye you. BUT YOU CAN GO FAST! 

And it's safer than a wing suit, so mebbe it's worth it. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Damascus said:

Eh, a Maglev train is magnitudes safer, cheaper, easier to maintain and only marginally slower.

Yes. Just build lots of those. They do use a lot of power for all the magnets, but they also easily go 200+ mph. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

12 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Eh, a Maglev train is magnitudes safer, cheaper, easier to maintain and only marginally slower.

We have no idea about safety, don't make those claims without evidence.

Marginal speed increase? Hyperloop is estimated to have a cruising speed of about 600mph and top speed of 760mph once fully implemented.

The initial 220 mph test was early in development with 300+mph tests coming.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

23 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Oooo... but being stuck in a tunnel they sucked the air out of is scary... just like going in that big tunnel under the I-forgot-the-name-why-didn't-I-learn-anything-in-school channel between the UK and France. Because if your transport device break, bye bye you. BUT YOU CAN GO FAST! 

And it's safer than a wing suit, so mebbe it's worth it. 

The channel tunnel is limited to 100mph.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

The channel tunnel is limited to 100mph.

Oh. Boring. Why not a maglev then, they go way faster. 

Main PC 

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Oh. Boring. Why not a maglev then, they go way faster. 

Because when you're under a large mass of water, going through a tunnel, going faster isn't necessarily better.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Because when you're under a large mass of water, going through a tunnel, going faster isn't necessarily better.

Lol. I got mixed up, I thought you meant the hyper loop was limited to 100mph. Though why wouldn't you want to go faster through the tunnel? Wouldn't that get you through faster, minimizing the time spent underwater?

Main PC 

There is a whole raft of challenges that need to be overcome, like maintaining a vacuum in a tube over such a long distance, corners, and being able to carry enough people/cargo to make it financially viable. The last one being the really big one. It will require a lot of infrastructure, bridges, tunnels and access for maintenance. Land will have to be purchased, an absolutely huge amount of land. Just because something is the fastest doesn't mean people will pay a huge premium to make it financially viable, note how Concorde hasn't been replaced.

At the risk of sounding like a Luddite, I don't think Hyperloop will ever successfully launch a service. I reckon the future is faster planes, the infrastructure is already there, but the jet engine may need to be retired.        

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Lol. I got mixed up, I thought you meant the hyper loop was limited to 100mph. Though why wouldn't you want to go faster through the tunnel? Wouldn't that get you through faster, minimizing the time spent underwater?

Tunnel boom (creating a shockwave of air going through the tunnel, caused by a train entering quickly) repeatedly would end up eventually straining and cracking the concrete.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I'm going to guess air pressure building up in front of the train.

32 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

The youtuber Thunderf00t (physicist) extensively covered the Hyperloop. He is a huge critic of it.

Some of the eingineers working on Hyperloop One addressed his videos. Nothing specific and to be honest a bit underwhelming, I had hoped for something that would make me a believer in the project. Basically all they said is "we are better engineers and we know what we are doing" without addressing specifics.

Since Elon Musk seems preocuppied with several expensive high profile projects he started and hasn't finished yet, I don't really believe that he can push Hyperloop so that it returns on the right track. I am not following HL news very thoroughly but I have yet to see some promising tests that really matter (as in, actuall high speed tests in tubes, even if on smaller scale and in controlled conditions).

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

44 minutes ago, Terryv said:

Marginal speed increase? Hyperloop is estimated to have a cruising speed of about 600mph and top speed of 760mph once fully implemented.

The initial 220 mph test was early in development with 300+mph tests coming.

We have an excellent idea about safety, they've been in use for decades.  I'll take a Maglev that fits 200-800 people over a hyperloop that fits 50 tops but goes 3x faster and could kill every one inside if there is a breach.  In the case of Toronto to montreal it would be insane to run a hyperloop, the terrain is highly irregular making even highways relatively difficult - especially when compared to the desert the first hyperloop is being built for.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Who cares about T-dot to Montreal?  What needs to happen is several shorter runs from the areas surrounding Toronto to Toronto city center.  If they can help the hundreds of thousands get to and from work in Toronto EVERY DAY, thats much better than saving time for the odd business trip folk.  Its not like its their tax dollars that'll get sucked up to build it.

Canadumb, always missing what needs to be addressed.

3 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Tunnel boom (creating a shockwave of air going through the tunnel, caused by a train entering quickly) repeatedly would end up eventually straining and cracking the concrete.

do they have to use concrete mabey some fancy space aged metal or composite of some sort

10 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Who cares about T-dot to Montreal?  What needs to happen is several shorter runs from the areas surrounding Toronto to Toronto city center.  If they can help the hundreds of thousands get to and from work in Toronto EVERY DAY, thats much better than saving time for the odd business trip folk.  Its not like its their tax dollars that'll get sucked up to build it.

Canadumb, always missing what needs to be addressed.

Time saved wouldnt be much at short distances, especially when it cant even get up to full speed.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

23 minutes ago, Wintyr said:

do they have to use concrete mabey some fancy space aged metal or composite of some sort

Concrete is used because it's inexpensive and easily accessible. Also, it's proven to last a long, long time. Whereas fibreglass/carbon fibre wouldn't really put up to the stresses of it.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

36 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Time saved wouldnt be much at short distances, especially when it cant even get up to full speed.

A few minutes saved for thousands trumps a couple hours for a few dozen.  Also, the area surrounding Toronto which people commute from is immense.  If they can't get up to the quoted top speed of 100mph in 50-100km, then its an even more feeble system than I imagined.

4 hours ago, Terryv said:

*One terrorist takes .30-06 rifle and shoots Hyperloop*

Giant tube under a vacuum. Great idea! Immensely expensive and impractical.

I used to be quite active here.

10 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

A few minutes saved for thousands trumps a couple hours for a few dozen.  Also, the area surrounding Toronto which people commute from is immense.  If they can't get up to the quoted top speed of 100mph in 50-100km, then its an even more feeble system than I imagined.

Actually, the idea solution for Toronto (and most cities) is a near silent raised monorail system.  The nature of the system allows for a great deal of flexibility in dealing with existing structures, allowing the train to stay near or above established artery highways and go directly to city centers from suburbia.  

On top of that, each train could easily take 100+ people per cars times 3 or 4 cars  (a hyperloop pod can do 25-50 max) allowing the cost of the tickets to be as low as any other public transit system, likely piggybacking off the existing transpo infrastructure. 

Immediate short and long term usefulness + revenue to pay for itself while also easing vehicular conjestion and usage.

Win/win/win

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

30 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Actually, the idea solution for Toronto (and most cities) is a near silent raised monorail system.  The nature of the system allows for a great deal of flexibility in dealing with existing structures, allowing the train to stay near or above established artery highways and go directly to city centers from suburbia.  

On top of that, each train could easily take 100+ people per cars times 3 or 4 cars  (a hyperloop pod can do 25-50 max) allowing the cost of the tickets to be as low as any other public transit system, likely piggybacking off the existing transpo infrastructure. 

Immediate short and long term usefulness + revenue to pay for itself while also easing vehicular conjestion and usage.

Win/win/win

I don't necessarily agree or disagree.  But if the focus (aka money) gets shifted to improving transportation for daily working class commuters istead of fantasizing, then that'll be a good start.  And an actual responsible use of tax dollars.