HYPERLOOP in Canada

Wintyr
2 hours ago, Wintyr said:

do they have to use concrete mabey some fancy space aged metal or composite of some sort

Concrete IS a composite.

It's aggregate (read:  gravel) bonded together with cement.  It's also extremely cheap (relatively speaking), VERY strong in compression loads, and construction methods are pretty simple.  Tensile strength isn't great, which is why it's usually reinforced with either steel (rebar or fibers) to carry the tensile load.

Back on topic:  I don't see hyperloop happening anywhere.  Vacuum chambers are finnicky bastards, and if you'd like an illustration of what happens to people riding in the hyperloop if the vacuum fails just watch the channelsuperfun vacuum cannon video.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

Why not Vancouver - Seattle - Portland

we are pouring money into finding routes for HSR 

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

we should just delete the whole thread Linus said hyper loops are boring

High speed monorail would be better. Hyperloop is a silly idea.

6 hours ago, Damascus said:

Eh, a Maglev train is magnitudes safer, cheaper, easier to maintain and only marginally slower.

Trains cant handle elevation well.

2 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

Trains cant handle elevation well.

Millennium_Line_at_Brentwood_Stn.thumb.JPG.f7bef69f3c91948660c159fec0b60925.JPG

ah... curving at 40kph

(By Flying Penguin at the English language Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=27410696)

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 minutes ago, JDE said:

Millennium_Line_at_Brentwood_Stn.thumb.JPG.f7bef69f3c91948660c159fec0b60925.JPG

ah... curving at 40kph

(By Flying Penguin at the English language Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=27410696)

Not quite what I was talking about. I was talking about going uphill and downhill.

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Trains don't but suspended monorails like these do.

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/suspended-monorail.html

I literally talked about monorails in my post :P

Monorails also have the advantage of being able to be put right in the middle of our highways so you dont have to kick people out of their lands and deforest even more.

2 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

Not quite what I was talking about. I was talking about going uphill and downhill.

I literally talked about monorails in my post :P

Lol, didn't notice.  The rest of my posts have been about monorail being a better alternative so I guess I derped.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

We can't make an oil pipeline that doesn't leak but I expect them to believe they'll send me through a vacuum tunnel that is absolutely flawless for less than $100 a trip

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

cost for a ride would have to be exorbitant to just break even. Would the kind of people who can afford it, be willing to spend on what is considered a form of mass transit?

Looking to the concorde is probably the best answer we'd get on that.

There are none in service now, with no equivalent replacement.  Did manage to hobble along for almost 3 decades before calling it quits, and was both a success and a failure.

4 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

There are none in service now, with no equivalent replacement.  Did manage to hobble along for almost 3 decades before calling it quits, and was both a success and a failure.

The problem with the Concorde is not the technical feasibility but rather the economic situation. It is just not worth it.

It is just like the moon landing. Of course, we can do it but it´s not worth the cost.

52 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

The problem with the Concorde is not the technical feasibility but rather the economic situation. It is just not worth it.

It is just like the moon landing. Of course, we can do it but it´s not worth the cost.

Yep.  Cost was the question being possed by huilun02, and whether or not chartering to wealthier patrons would sustain a transportation system.

Never really does, only the middle class makes mass transport work long term.  From planes, trains to roads for automobiles.

That's also why concorde had both success and failure.  Techincal success, it did work.  However, it failed to service the middle class market and as such was a market and business failure.

15 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Oh. Boring. Why not a maglev then, they go way faster. 

The train they used is capableof going up to almost 600km/h, the limitation isnt there 

guess Canadians also want to be turned into minced meat for the cheap cost of a first class airplaine ticket? hyperloop is stupid and why is anyone actiually funding this?...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

I doubt there's supersonic booms in a near vaccum like hyperloop. That was one of the big hurdles of the concord.

Im sure people from a forum know better about economics than one of 2 guys to ever make 3 billion dollars company from scratch. If hes doing it, its because he and his team believe in it. They told him electric cars were dead, that space should be left to governments, etc. Look at his projects now.

Also, the interest for the montreal toronto link comes from the amount of people that actually move between these two often, especially the ones going from one place for a week than coming back for weekends. The loop would allow everyday travel. Not to forget most international flights from montreal actually need to stop at toronto to change flight, thats a lot of people.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34