iPhone 8 and X officially announced

Juanitology

I agree with going wireless, but forcing it upon the consumers all of a sudden rather than easing them into it was a mistake.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

My opinion: Everything seems fine. Yes even the high price of those phones ... Apple is expencive, deal with it.

The only thing I hate is that they removed fingerprint scanner. That was one of the best features they ever implemented in iPhone.

So that is keeping me away from buying this phone, and will stick with iPhone 7. Maybe next year they will use it again? I do hope so xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

[I found out later the X is actually AMOLED, couldn't tell from the OP]Still not OLED? What the hell :dry:... I'm also struggling to see why the X is 300$ more expensive than the 8... the only significant difference seems to be the slightly extended display (with HDR support, whatever, that's 90% software) and stainless steel over aluminum (which might actually be a downside if it's heavier for the same sturdiness).

Also gotta love the extremely generic Cook quote:

“Over the past decade, we've pushed forward with innovation after innovation, bringing us to this moment, when we can create devices that are far more intelligent, far more capable, and far more creative than ever before.”

which could have probably applied to every single iPhone (or high end smartphone in general) launch ever.

I disagree that he's a worse lead for the company than Jobs, but damn, his stage presence is not even in the same league.

Other than that I see a couple of iterative improvements (probably better than trying to add new useless gimmicks) and I guess the edge to edge screen is cool, but it strikes me as less actually practical than samsung's curved edges and taller device. This looks to be more like the macbook pro's touchbar, slightly more flexible than actual buttons but pretty much superfluous outside of apps that spcifically support it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Something just occurred to me with "FaceID". I wonder how good it is at recognising if you're actually holding the phone or if someone else is holding it. If all it takes to unlock the phone is just to point it at the owner's face, it's going to be incredibly easy for people to gain access to the phone. Sure, if someone steals your phone and runs away with it, they're probably not getting in, but seems like it might be very easy for "friends" to access the phone or even someone at a public place if you leave your phone on the counter and look away for a second. If payments and such are all managed by FaceID, it's going to be a massive risk if it's easy to unlock it that way. 

It may well be very difficult to trick FaceID, but what good is it when you don't even have to trick it? At least with touch ID you can't really just grab someone's finger and press it against the phone without them realising. 

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Other than that I see a couple of iterative improvements (probably better than trying to add new useless gimmicks) and I guess the edge to edge screen is cool, but it strikes me as less actually practical than samsung's curved edges and taller device. This looks to be more like the macbook pro's touchbar, slightly more flexible than actual buttons but pretty much superfluous outside of apps that spcifically support it.

I really like the look of the screen, but I'd agree it doesn't seem to be a practical solution. Now home and multitasking are two slightly different gestures on the screen using the home bar thing. I would have preferred an Android-like bottom row of buttons that can be hidden and shown with a gesture at the bottom. If you're actually trying to do some work, having the buttons always there and ready to switch between apps and such is so much faster than working with gestures. 

Looks like the X is for a very niche group of consumers, 90% of iPhone users heads would explode without a home button.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

22 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Something just occurred to me with "FaceID". I wonder how good it is at recognising if you're actually holding the phone or if someone else is holding it. If all it takes to unlock the phone is just to point it at the owner's face,

No.

You also have to look at it.

I bet it'll be much harder for someone to force you to look at your iPhone to unlock it, than cut your "unlock" finger (if it go this far..).

2 minutes ago, Asche said:

No.

You also have to look at it.

I bet it'll be much harder for someone to force you to look at your iPhone to unlock it, than cut your "unlock" finger (if it go this far..).

I'm not so sure. Maybe it will be harder to do it to someone you don't know, but if there's a group of friends (probably a couple with the same phone), you could just call their name, hold up the phone so they'll instinctively look at it, then it's unlocked and they can run away. I can see jealous/suspicious partners doing this in order to read texts. Might be a little far fetched, but I'd still imagine it's easier than getting them to put their finger on it. 

23 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Looks like the X is for a very niche group of consumers, 90% of iPhone users heads would explode without a home button.

I don't really think the vocal majority represents even half of the sales.I must say I will be pretty surprised if the iPhone X isn't the best selling iPhone by the launch of the next iPhone.

15 hours ago, shermantanker said:

if they added in a fingerprint scanner battery life would suffer due to size constrains, and I think most would go for more battery life over a scanner.

You do realize how small a FP module is and how little effort they would have to do to incorporate it without losing battery life. Samsung can do it no problem. I dont get why you are so pro-apple against this

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Sure, if someone steals your phone and runs away with it, they're probably not getting in, but seems like it might be very easy for "friends" to access the phone or even someone at a public place if you leave your phone on the counter and look away for a second.

I don't think so. I don't know how will this play out with Face ID but with Touch ID, five consecutive wrong fingerprints will require the entry of a passcode. But after ten wrong passcode entries, it will initiate a secure wipe of the iPhone deleting data on it. 

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It may well be very difficult to trick FaceID, but what good is it when you don't even have to trick it? At least with touch ID you can't really just grab someone's finger and press it against the phone without them realising. 

I think cops and jealous wives/husbands would love Face ID because they do not need a passcode or a fingerprint to get in, all they need is to put the iPhone X on that person's face. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

59 minutes ago, AG1233 said:

I don't really think the vocal majority represents even half of the sales.I must say I will be pretty surprised if the iPhone X isn't the best selling iPhone by the launch of the next iPhone.

My comment was meant as a joke/slight but in all honesty I've never met anyone IRL with an iPhone that doesn't complain about being able to perform the slightest task. Everyone I know with an iPhone(not an exaggeration) says that they buy iPhone because they "don't want to learn Android" and I guarantee it's a mixture of this and the fixation on wanting to have a "posh" phone that drives consumers. I will admit a large amount of people will buy just because it's the top tier iphone.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

11 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

My comment was meant as a joke/slight but in all honesty I've never met anyone IRL with an iPhone that doesn't complain about being able to perform the slightest task. Everyone I know with an iPhone(not an exaggeration) says that they buy iPhone because they "don't want to learn Android" and I guarantee it's a mixture of this and the fixation on wanting to have a "posh" phone that drives consumers. I will admit a large amount of people will buy just because it's the top tier iphone.

In my IRL experience a majority of my friends and family who use an IOS device just use it because they find it more reliable than an Android device and finds it easy to do tasks in it as well, many of my friends even switched from Android devices to IOS devices because they found that they age well. But I will agree that many people just buy a iPhone because its a an expensive device and as you said its a "posh" phone and brand value as well of course.There are always exceptions as well for example a friend of mine uses an iPhone because he thinks Samsung makes phones too big, and apparently there are no other android counterparts

18 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Funny, I can do that with my 5 year old phone too. It's called a headphone jack. 

I'm wondering where the fingerprint scanner is. Is it on the side? 

No fingerpint scanner.

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

5 minutes ago, AG1233 said:

In my IRL experience a majority of my friends and family who use an IOS device just use it because they find it more reliable than an Android device and finds it easy to do tasks in it as well, many of my friends even switched from Android devices to IOS devices because they found that they age well. But I will agree that many people just buy a iPhone because its a an expensive device and as you said its a "posh" phone and brand value as well of course.There are always exceptions as well for example a friend of mine uses an iPhone because he thinks Samsung makes phones too big, and apparently there are no other android counterparts

It's all relative to the user, I still think majority of the population is stubborn and lacking knowledge when it comes to tech.

11 hours ago, Aznsandwich101 said:

probably wait for the next update. I can only hope that apple will switch to type c usb evenutally......

Considering Apple has always used proprietary connectors on all their phones, I wouldnt hold your breath. Their lightning connectors aernt bad

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

17 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Edit:
Also, is it just me or does the iPhone X look really ugly? Here is a picture comparing it to the Galaxy S 8 (not my picture).

Yep, the iPhone X looks really ugly IMO. The camera bump and the top of the screen are ugly AF

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Considering Apple has always used proprietary connectors on all their phones, I wouldnt hold your breath. Their lightning connectors aernt bad

No matter how much I hate apple I still like the lightning connector. Mainly because its design means the only point of failure is the cable as there is nothing in the port to break off like in USB B and C. But bandwidth is not lightnings strong point so...yeah

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

No matter how much I hate apple I still like the lightning connector. Mainly because its design means the only point of failure is the cable as there is nothing in the port to break off like in USB B and C. But bandwidth is not lightnings strong point so...yeah

I believe the USB Type c was also designed for the connector to be the point of failure (as well as the mini usb's, those always broke on me)

I definitely agree, I'm a bit of an apple h8r, but their lightning connectors are very good

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

15 hours ago, TheReal1980 said:

I will most likely sell my S8 for an iPhone X. I don't trust Google/Android anymore, especially not with my fingerprint and face scanner (I am sure they sell those cheap to companies/States).

Been using Android for about 6 years now but no more, Google is not to be trusted with anything.

I highly doubt that companies selling your personal data will affect you in any way.

They have been doing it for a long time without you knowing it and if it didn't affected you yet then it most likely never will.

If you like the products you use then continue doing so.

Also to be honest i don't think you should trust anyone with your personal data. 

Apple isn't the best or the safest company. There's no such thing if you ask me.

By the end of the day money is money.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

I believe the USB Type c was also designed for the connector to be the point of failure (as well as the mini usb's, those always broke on me)

I definitely agree, I'm a bit of an apple h8r, but their lightning connectors are very good

Over time the connectors in the port just get loose and eventually break and fall out or just dont work. Not enough time with type-c to know how long they last. Its much better than micro-b however.

Over time the connectors in the port just get loose and eventually break and fall out or just dont work. Not enough time with type-c to know how long they last. Its much better than micro-b however.

Well actually....

(usb c wins)

Without the headphone jack, the lightning port also has to pull double duty for some users as well, making broken ports a very real risk.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

But after ten wrong passcode entries, it will initiate a secure wipe of the iPhone deleting data on it. 

Is there a way to recover from that? I feel like this would be really bad if you have little  kids since they love to play with phones and pretend they are calling someone.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.