Anandtech: Chuwi LapBook 12.3 Reviewed. Perfect notebook for web browsing, Youtube, and Netflix?

DocSwag
Just now, DocSwag said:

But why exactly :P.

The screen is good... so it's good. 

Obviously its not as good as the surface pro display as it's not color calibrated.

It doesn't seem like it has any real issues tbh.

fuck i am using the word concerned wrong. 

ignore xD 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

fuck i am using the word concerned wrong. 

ignore xD 

What were you trying to say xD 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

What were you trying to say xD 

opposite of concerned. 

idk it worked in my head. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

But why exactly :P.

The screen is good... so it's good. 

Obviously its not as good as the surface pro display as it's not color calibrated.

It doesn't seem like it has any real issues tbh.

The Atom class CPU would probably see me avoid recommending this laptop for most basic users as said users are the least likely to be able to troubleshoot performances issues. I'd rather them get an i5 that can brute through most adware and bloat and still deliver an acceptable experience, than something they have to keep carefully optimized to run well.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I wonder when we'll see UFS storage on these cheap laptops instead of eMMC. Guess too expensive and lack of support in the chipset.

That and dumping Atom would seriously raise the bar on performance for budget laptops.

9 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

The Atom class CPU would probably see me avoid recommending this laptop for most basic users as said users are the least likely to be able to troubleshoot performances issues. I'd rather them get an i5 that can brute through most adware and bloat and still deliver an acceptable experience, than something they have to keep carefully optimized to run well.

Are there any core based laptops in this price range though? Because afaik if there are any, everything else (display for example) would be wayyyy worse than this one.

Plus if you are just worried about ads, I would say download ublock origin and just be done with it.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

I have a laptop from late 2012 that runs quite hot playing a DVD with deinterlacing applied.

I'd imagine this could power through it fairly well. All I'd require from a laptop is if it can play YouTube videos at 720p60 without choking.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

11 hours ago, themctipers said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-Duo-T2350-vs-Intel-Atom-Z3770/m3830vsm5592

I just threw a Sunspider benchmark at my Atom tablet out of boredom. In Edge, it scored about 560ms. That was quite surprising as the best score I've squeezed out of my phone with an optimized browser was somewhere in the mid-300s range.

Dual issue, out of order. Seems like Atom is built a bit like the Cortex A73.

My eyes see the past…

13 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I just threw a Sunspider benchmark at my Atom tablet out of boredom. In Edge, it scored about 560ms. That was quite surprising as the best score I've squeezed out of my phone with an optimized browser was somewhere in the mid-300s range.

Dual issue, out of order. Seems like Atom is built a bit like the Cortex A73.

I thought atom CPUs were all in order not OoO?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

They used to be but they changed that in like 2013 or so. All current Atom models are OoO as far as I know.

Edit: Yes, the Silvermont-based Atoms (22 nm) was the first Atom to utilize OoOE. It was released in late 2013 according to Wiki

13 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Not sure that's something to be proud of. :P

I'm going the opposite direction in playing Skyrim on a 2 GB, 1.8 GHz Atom Z3770F, a chip that typically has no business being near Skyrim. Hence squeezing my hardware for all it's worth.

A basic user would be frustrated with an Atom system. As for me, I force the thing to submit to my will.

What frame rate did you achieve?

Must have been swapping like crazy

14 hours ago, themctipers said:

if a m3 can do 1080p 60fps youtube a quad core celeron can. 

Isn't an m3 more powerful than a celeron?

11 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

Isn't an m3 more powerful than a celeron?

probably. Eh maybe. It has a sustained boost of ~2.2GHz. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

probably. Eh maybe. It has a sustained boost of ~2.2GHz. 

Atom cores vs Core series cores doesn't that alone give you the answer or?

4 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

Atom cores vs Core series cores doesn't that alone give you the answer or?

but it's surprisingly powerful 

but the iGPU is complete shit. GTX 8800 is better probably. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

sort of been seeing a trend of chinese alternatives taking over or becoming very competitive.

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

As of Silvermont, Atom went OoO. Its still a 2-wide design (without HT) though.

21 minutes ago, themctipers said:

but it's surprisingly powerful 

but the iGPU is complete shit. GTX 8800 is better probably. 

Should still be faster than an Intel HD 4000, which Apple used to drive a similar resolution display.

My eyes see the past…

8 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Should still be faster than an Intel HD 4000, which Apple used to drive a similar resolution display.

I was able to run Half-Life 2 at 720p (or maybe it was 1024x640) on medium with a Silvermont. It ran at about 30FPS though. Reminded me of when I was playing it on my GeForce FX 5600. Though that was with the original engine.

However at the end of the day, I believe it's stupid easy to render the desktop for most modern GPUs. Probably not saying much, but my GTX 1080 comfortably idles at 135 MHz even if I have both my 1440p (which is running at 144Hz mind you) and 4K monitor on.

Looks like a really nice little machine, but Windows 10 on an Atom based CPU...? Why would you do that to yourself? o.O

4 hours ago, Trixanity said:

I wonder when we'll see UFS storage on these cheap laptops instead of eMMC. Guess too expensive and lack of support in the chipset.

That and dumping Atom would seriously raise the bar on performance for budget laptops.

eMMC is used because of pricing.

While the Atom based chips don't support UFS on their HSIO lanes like they do for eMMC, they *do* support PCIe over those lanes, so for more premium devices we could see NVMe drives (although at that point, you'd probably also be moving to a Core Series CPU)

Hmmmm, may get this for my Dad since he only uses web mail and browses on the old lappy.

Just have to get him an external CD/DVD reader.

First thing though, I wipe the Windows off and smack a nice light Linux distro.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Windows rendered animations at 480p blocky shit. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

57 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Well, I gas faster than anyone I know.

59b20b829d7fe_BlowingSmoke.jpg.df9dce0bc3a49840ce59394c0f2f9d8e.jpg

Smartphone typing FML.

My eyes see the past…

On 9/6/2017 at 9:52 PM, themctipers said:

if a m3 can do 1080p 60fps youtube a quad core celeron can. 

I'm like 99% certain that an M3 is more powerful than that Celeron.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz