Anandtech: Chuwi LapBook 12.3 Reviewed. Perfect notebook for web browsing, Youtube, and Netflix?

DocSwag
11 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Looks like a really nice little machine, but Windows 10 on an Atom based CPU...? Why would you do that to yourself? o.O

eMMC is used because of pricing.

While the Atom based chips don't support UFS on their HSIO lanes like they do for eMMC, they *do* support PCIe over those lanes, so for more premium devices we could see NVMe drives (although at that point, you'd probably also be moving to a Core Series CPU)

Cheap device that you don't have to worry about. As a secondary device, its perfectly serviceable, anything that it cannot handle I can simply do on the desktop instead.

That said, Atom does not make a good choice in a primary device. With some control over background processes, Atom and 2GB RAM can work decently well in lighter usages, though it simply lacks the firepower to brute force heavy tasks and games.

I can attest eMMC is slow, though the 5400 rpm platter drives in use at work make my own Atom tablet feel quite modern by comparison.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Cheap device that you don't have to worry about. As a secondary device, its perfectly serviceable, anything that it cannot handle I can simply do on the desktop instead.

That said, Atom does not make a good choice in a primary device. With some control over background processes, Atom and 2GB RAM can work decently well in lighter usages, though it simply lacks the firepower to brute force heavy tasks and games.

I can attest eMMC is slow, though the 5400 rpm platter drives in use at work make my own Atom tablet feel quite modern by comparison.

For low end games an Atom is enough. I had a week vacation out of state with my only device being an Atom tablet with a BT keyboard and a Rival 100 mouse. 

60fps in CS:S and 25-40fps in CSGO lowest settings + res is definitely playable, and games like Asphalt 8 and Minecraft Win10 Ed. is perfectly playable at 60fps. 

eMMC differs per device. On some it's high end flash, on others it's essentially bargain bin shite. 

idk

37 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I'm like 99% certain that an M3 is more powerful than that Celeron.

im pretty sure its slightly less powerful

whatever, they're both shit when you need to do something as intensive as chrome with some tabs open.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, Droidbot said:

For low end games an Atom is enough. I had a week vacation out of state with my only device being an Atom tablet with a BT keyboard and a Rival 100 mouse. 

60fps in CS:S and 25-40fps in CSGO lowest settings + res is definitely playable, and games like Asphalt 8 and Minecraft Win10 Ed. is perfectly playable at 60fps. 

eMMC differs per device. On some it's high end flash, on others it's essentially bargain bin shite. 

Mine says Generic Biwin, and in a tablet that was barely over $100, I'd says it readily qualifies for the Shite tier. I'm pretty sure benches put it somewhere between 80-100MB/s sequential read speeds.

I keep Skyrim on the 32GB MicroSD card.

My eyes see the past…

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Mine says Generic Biwin, and in a tablet that was barely over $100, I'd says it readily qualifies for the Shite tier. I'm pretty sure benches put it somewhere between 80-100MB/s sequential read speeds.

I keep Skyrim on the 32GB MicroSD card.

Mine was $100AUD and I've got some Hynix flash or something. 8" Acer W4, it's a nice little machine. 

idk

11 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Mine was $100AUD and I've got some Hynix flash or something. 8" Acer W4, it's a nice little machine. 

My trusty tablet, laptop, thing...

My eyes see the past…

I have the first Lapbook from Chuwi. For Internet use it was good. Only the battery was shit and got very hot sometimes.

I'm interested, I only use my laptop for watching video and browsing, the crappy 1366x768 TN screen sucks though so this would be a nice replacement.

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

10 hours ago, themctipers said:

im pretty sure its slightly less powerful

whatever, they're both shit when you need to do something as intensive as chrome with some tabs open.

The UX305 in the review charts has one of the first Core M's and it's like twice as powerful in the benchmarks.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz