Apple wants your money to help Huricane Harvey survivors

AlTech
14 minutes ago, NLD1st said:

AppleNO

Unless they start to donate 10 cents for every 1$ donated via them they should not do this imo

Yes, Fuck Apple for promoting a donation to the Red Cross to help people. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

10 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

We went from Apple to the American Red Cross and potential fraud.

Congratulations, guys! You don't know how to keep a thread on track.

Petition to change the name LTT to the Derail Express Forums (at least for April 1st).

Apple isn't obligated to make donations at all if they so choose. Its called donations for a reason. I see no reason to burn Apple at the stake over this regardless of what they choose to do 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

21 minutes ago, NLD1st said:

AppleNO

Unless they start to donate 10 cents for every 1$ donated via them they should not do this imo

Uhh... Most corporate donation drives run a scheme of matching every dollar up to X ammount.  Your suggestion of ten cents is... Like... A weirdly low bar to set. o.O

40 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Petition to change the name LTT to the Derail Express Forums (at least for April 1st).

Apple isn't obligated to make donations at all if they so choose. Its called donations for a reason. I see no reason to burn Apple at the stake over this regardless of what they choose to do 

And I feel like I'm shouting into the abyss over this, but I'll repeat: the same people roasting Apple for not immediately donating tens of millions of dollars mysteriously seem to have no problem with their favorite manufacturers doing absolutely nothing.  For goodness' sake, Dell is based in Texas and hasn't said a word about donations.

It's the classic example of what I like to call the Only Apple Does Bad Things response.  Basically: unless Apple does everything perfectly all the time, it's the worst company ever.  Its competitors, meanwhile, are portrayed as bastions of integrity and compassion (or at least, are never given the same scrutiny).  It's really an attempt to justify Android/Windows zealotry by holding Apple to an impossible standard.

Doesn't apple have enough money to completely rebuild everything and ensure all the survivors become millionaires? Why do they need to make a glorified support button when they themselves could easily provide more than enough funding.

@LAwLz @RedRound2 @noobadin @Commodus

So it seems to me this is getting a little out of hand... I'm not blasting Apple for doing this. Me and @AluminiumTech are just pointing out that it's mostly just a PR move, and that Apple isn't exactly famous for its humane policies, in particular when it comes to outsourced production. Personally, I'm also not a fan of seeing it done through a private storefront - though I suppose it is somewhat more convenient if you already have an itunes account. This has nothing to do with what Tim Cook donates out of his personal pockets - he is not Apple and his money is not Apple's money. It also has nothing to do with Apple's products.

And that's it. If you disagree, that's fine too. We're not inciting a boycott or anything. Don't put words we haven't said in our mouths, ok?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

24 minutes ago, Sauron said:

@LAwLz @RedRound2 @noobadin @Commodus

So it seems to me this is getting a little out of hand... I'm not blasting Apple for doing this. Me and @AluminiumTech are just pointing out that it's mostly just a PR move, and that Apple isn't exactly famous for its humane policies, in particular when it comes to outsourced production. Personally, I'm also not a fan of seeing it done through a private storefront - though I suppose it is somewhat more convenient if you already have an itunes account. This has nothing to do with what Tim Cook donates out of his personal pockets - he is not Apple and his money is not Apple's money. It also has nothing to do with Apple's products.

And that's it. If you disagree, that's fine too. We're not inciting a boycott or anything. Don't put words we haven't said in our mouths, ok?

Not really aiming at people like you.  It's more Misanthrope and others trying to stir up outrage, as if Apple is a horrible monster for not immediately donating $500 million (or whichever number would satisfy critics) and daring to encourage people to donate.  PR move or not, it's still a good thing, and that foam-at-the-mouth anger at Apple says more about the accuser than the accused.

1 hour ago, ElfFriend said:

Doesn't apple have enough money to completely rebuild everything and ensure all the survivors become millionaires? Why do they need to make a glorified support button when they themselves could easily provide more than enough funding.

Yes, Apple is worth about $300 billion (in assets) and makes like $40 billion/year (I think?). Meanwhile Hurricane Harvey is estimated to cost up to $20 billion in damages. 

HOWEVER, it is NOT Apple's responsibility to fund the relief efforts. If they want to, then that's great; if they choose not to, then that's also fine. Regardless of their decision, making it more convenient for the general population to donate is not a bad thing. 

22 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Me and @AluminiumTech are just pointing out that it's mostly just a PR move

A life lesson, no one -- and I do mean, NO ONE, does anything unless it benefits them in one way or another.

Personally, I'm also not a fan of seeing it done through a private storefront - though I suppose it is somewhat more convenient if you already have an itunes account.

Adding additional ways for people to donate isn't a bad thing. Some people may already have their info on iTunes, or they may feel more comfortable putting their info into iTunes. Regardless, the money is still being donated. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

56 minutes ago, Sauron said:

So it seems to me this is getting a little out of hand... I'm not blasting Apple for doing this.

Not blasting? Look at the topic name and the cancerous fanboy driven original post

Me and @AluminiumTech are just pointing out that it's mostly just a PR move,

Really, in what way? Apple accepting charities through App Store? Great, let me get an iPhone.

and that Apple isn't exactly famous for its humane policies, in particular when it comes to outsourced production. Personally, I'm also not a fan of seeing it done through a private storefront - though I suppose it is somewhat more convenient if you already have an itunes account.

A billion plus people will find App store a much more convenient way to donate. I don't understand where you people get the idea that no one who owns an Apple device has an Apple ID with credit card info already stored

This has nothing to do with what Tim Cook donates out of his personal pockets - he is not Apple and his money is not Apple's money. It also has nothing to do with Apple's products.

Ok, then who is Apple? You guys go on personifying Apple but you yourself know that 'Apple' isn't one person. They probably did donate an undisclosed amount or they didn't, but I know for a fact they've been donating for years for AIDS through Product Red

I don't know about you, but the OPs intention was definitely the above. Spreading misinformation and painting apple as an evil person, as if collecting donations for themselves, is a pretty clear message. Stop justifying the hatred ridden OP. I still don't understand what the useless moderators here are for.

6 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yes, Fuck Apple for promoting a donation to the Red Cross to help people. 

Yea because I suspect then for skimming of the top of the money pile. 

6 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Uhh... Most corporate donation drives run a scheme of matching every dollar up to X ammount.  Your suggestion of ten cents is... Like... A weirdly low bar to set. o.O

Well I had that as a bare minimum in mind. More would be better ofc. 

Glad to see there's still some sanity around here, still not my kind of forum, but I'm glad not everyone is like that, because after reading arguments like "they should give X for every Y dollars, if not they shouldn't do this IMO" one loses a bit of hope on humanity.

1 minute ago, NLD1st said:

Yea because I suspect then for skimming of the top of the money pile. 

And what gives you any indication that they're doing that or are you just making a ridiculous assumption because of a (probably blind) hatred towards Apple. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

frankly i don't see the issue here, maybe because i don't get my dick hard when a corporation does something, but to me this doesn't look more different than my local shop putting up a donation jar for unicef at the counter where people choose to leave, or not,  the changes they get back

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Apple gets PR, Red Cross gets donations.

It's win fucking win.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1. 100% of what you give goes directly to red cross. Apple takes no cut

2. Apple gets no tax savings off of this, MAYBE a tiny bit for footing the bill for the transaction costs, but the only money they could deduct is money they aren't keeping in the first place

3. Any way to more easily funnel money from those willing to give to those in need is a good thing.

4. I would hope Apple is also giving from their own coffers a pittance to look good.

You wanna know companies that really go whole hog on helping? 

1. HEB, a fleet of 18 wheelers with mobile kitchens, food, medicine, etc. rolling from all over texas to help. And a lot of their stores are open whenever the roadways are clear enough to allow access

2. Gallery Furniture, opened up all their showrooms as shelters for those displaced by the flooding

3. A HUGE number of local restaurants are donating food or staying open to get supplies to people who need them for the coming week of rainfall.

Harvey is an interesting beast, the wind was a big deal for the first day around the eye. The rain is going to be a big deal for a week and a half. 40-50 inches possible in some areas. The local reservoirs and flood control basins are being drained to prevent failure of the dams. Whole subdivisions will be inundated. Downtown is already under water. It's been a heck of a week. Looking forward to it getting the heck out of dodge.

This message brought to you from SW Houston, TX. Water made it to the doorstep here, but didn't make it inside. People closer to the bayou got as many as 3 feet of standing water in their homes.

Im just gonna wait for all them cheesy profile pics of country flags on top of your face whenever a terror attack occurs. Ohhhh sorry wrong thread.

On a real note though its good Apple is doing this but would have been even more impressive if they matched all the donations that they got. Even if they matched 1% of donations.......

My Build

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.6GHz

Mobo: MSI - B350 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard

GPU: MSI GTX Titan XM 12GDDR5

RAM: 2x 8gb Corsair Vengenace LPX 3000Mhz

SSD: Crucial MX300 1TB

PSU: Aerocool MOD XT 750W Modular 80plus 

Case: Storm-P27 Midi Tower Windowed Case

Screen: 43" Hisense 4k 60Hz

On 8/28/2017 at 6:28 AM, Tech_Dreamer said:

your money is what they needed to keep poor people .

Wait-What-Meme-11.jpg

On 8/28/2017 at 2:02 PM, djdwosk97 said:

A life lesson, no one -- and I do mean, NO ONE, does anything unless it benefits them in one way or another.

That's a very cynical outlook on life.  I've known many people who did things without it benefiting them.  Now, if you said no company does things unless it benefits them, I probably would have accepted that.  After all, a company is not in the business of charity, they're in the business of making money.  It's the reason I don't accept the face value "charity" of moves like this from Apple.  They only do it because they know it's great PR for them.

Individuals, however, are not all so cutthroat as you would make us all out to be.

23 hours ago, HalGameGuru said:

Reminds me of the scenes from Iowa during the floods of '93, proving you don't have to live near the ocean to deal with excessive flooding.  I wish I had some pictures of one spot I saw, the ditches were 8-10' deep on either side and nearly flooded to the road.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=flood+of+93+iowa

4 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

That's a very cynical outlook on life.  I've known many people who did things without it benefiting them.  Now, if you said no company does things unless it benefits them, I probably would have accepted that.  After all, a company is not in the business of charity, they're in the business of making money.  It's the reason I don't accept the face value "charity" of moves like this from Apple.  They only do it because they know it's great PR for them.

Making yourself feel good is a reason to do something, although, I don't believe most people are that good. But regardless, someone's motives for donating are irrelevant -- who cares if it's for PR or for helping someone. At the end of the day the person receiving the money doesn't (and shouldn't) care. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Making yourself feel good is a reason to do something, although, I don't believe most people are that good

Now see, here you said "most".  Before, you made a blanket claim about every single person.

If you need an example of what I mean, picking up a broom and sweeping a church because it's necessary doesn't make you feel good and has no benefit.  Nevertheless, some people will do it for no other reason than someone has to do it.  No acclaim, no reward, just doing because it's needed.

I'm not saying everyone does things without reward, but you can't make an absolute statement that not one single person does things without benefit to them.  If you really believe that's true, then I truly feel sorry for you.

13 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Now see, here you said "most".  Before, you made a blanket claim about every single person.

If you need an example of what I mean, picking up a broom and sweeping a church because it's necessary doesn't make you feel good and has no benefit.  Nevertheless, some people will do it for no other reason than someone has to do it.  No acclaim, no reward, just doing because it's needed.

That person gets some benefit from brooming. Maybe he feels good to be helping, maybe he feels better knowing there isn't a mess, or maybe he just feels like god will be less pissed off at him. But a person still must benefit in some way for them to do something.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:

You think apple is the only one does these kind of things? 

Spoiler

sdsdd.PNG.4e543574daa65ebcbdb7fdebd39cb358.PNG

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler