Finally Someone Decided To Do Something About Miners

This is just in order to sell those dedicated "mining" cards, they obviously want a piece of that pie themselves after all, so they are going to be like "stop buying these cheap consumer oriented GPUs and get our more expensive mining cards that are designed and made, for mining".

Honestly, I dislike miners, due to them buying everything and causing price inflation, I still cannot buy a new computer(well I could, if I wanted to use onboard or my old GPU that doesn't support freesync for my freesync monitor...).

They also are costing companies money through RMA due to early failures caused by 24/7 100% load(even if you are gaming, it will not stay at 100% the entire time).

But they are also buying the cards, so while the RMA are "through the roof", the profits should also be quite high for them, regardless of who buys them. They can always just repair those faulty cards and send a refurb unit to the miners as well.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Armakar said:

aalso, rooting inflates phone prices to double? don't think so

and mining =/= inflating prices, higher demand = inflating prices

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

Then what would you use for 1440?  A 1070?  That isn't going to cut it if you want to play any demanding game on high or ultra.  A 1070 struggles to give 75fps in GTA5 on ultra even in 1080p, nevermind almost doubling the pixel count by trying 1440.

I use a 1070 for 1080p and VR, perfect card for me. At the minute, it's £50 more expensive USED than when I bought it new ...... a year ago. A 1060 doesn't cut it for 1080p and VR for me.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Ive seen multiple people on the forums who are light miners buying 7 or 8 RX 480s/1060s. Unless you have a lot of money most of us cant afford to buy that.

Being a miner means anyone who does it, be it 1 GPU in you main PC during off hours or a wall full (50+ GPU's)

I consider myself a miner (in the past) and all I did was use my 290x years ago.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Anecdotal evidence is not a valid citation.

Youre not going to get a valid citation. You know exactly what Im talking about, you just dont want to admit it.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Because RMA rates are now through the damn roof and cos AMD and Nvidia want repeat loyal customers to get their hands on GPUs.

Source please.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Just now, Armakar said:

I use a 1070 for 1080p and VR, perfect card for me. At the minute, it's £50 more expensive USED than when I bought it new ...... a year ago. A 1060 doesn't cut it for 1080p and VR for me.

I am soon going to be in the market for a $300-$400 card but my options kinda suck right now.

5 minutes ago, Armakar said:

"soft mod" / rooting and literally destroying the device in months then sending it back for repair knowing it would be destroyed in the first place.

aalso, rooting inflates phone prices to double? don't think so

doesnt matter

its none of your fucking business what another customer does with their graphics cards

even it it a plot to destroy the world

unless you are government agency but that is whole different category

Just now, The Benjamins said:

Being a miner means anyone who does it, be it 1 GPU in you main PC during off hours or a wall full (50+ GPU's)

I consider myself a miner (in the past) and all I did was use my 290x years ago.

My definitions would be for Ether mining because thats what most people do now, 6-10 GPUs would be a light full time miner, 10-20 would be a medium full time miner, 20-40 high full time miner, and 40+ extreme full time miner

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Just now, cesrai said:

Source please.

This is 2nd hand information from a few sources.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

When I said this was like politics, I fucking meant it. These arguments are very very reminiscent of how political threads used to roll here.

All the "citation please" lmao. I agree

Spoiler

AXIOM

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Youre not going to get a valid citation. You know exactly what Im talking about, you just dont want to admit it.

I know exactly what you're talking about and I also know that your opinion is based on observing some sales numbers vs people who have commented the opposite point when talking to industry reps on the issue stating that they much rather have loyal customers than miners.

Sorry but if we're going to talk about non proper observations and conjecture based opinions, I have nothing to go on but appeals to authority and established tech youtubers that we know have contact with actual industry reps carry much more weight than random guy on the internet asserting things as true cause "he's seen people doing x"

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

and mining =/= inflating prices, higher demand = inflating prices

this by far

supply and demand

blame amd and nvidia with the aib partners for not keeping up

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

My definitions would be for Ether mining because thats what most people do now, 6-10 GPUs would be a light full time miner, 10-20 would be a medium full time miner, 20-40 high full time miner, and 40+ extreme full time miner

but you are assuming all miners do that, and you are wrong, their are also a lot of 1-2 card miners. and most miners scaled their investment.

first use 1 GPU use the money to get another, then 2 more, then a extra rig. If I would of scaled my invest of my gaming card I could easily have 10+ now for a basically free investment.

11 minutes ago, pas008 said:

thats the nature of the beast

and its not wasting power its converting it into cash

cash to power a tool, to create some worth value

both you guys sound like you dont understand that these are tools

you arent entitled to everything

How does wanting to buy a GPU for content creation or gaming mean I am entitled? You know the two things that desktop and workstation cards are designed FROM THE GROUND UP TO DO?

But yet saying I am going to use my card 100% for 6 months before it dies from heat and now request the manufacturer to replace it for free when a person using it for gaming and content will last them 3-4 years easily is not entitled? 

I want to play games and he wants to render to support his job, yet you want to click two buttons and walk away and then demand they replace your equipment so you can make money by literally doing nothing....hah and you say we are entitled. 

7 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Then what would you use for 1440p?  A 1070?  That isn't going to cut it if you want to play any demanding game on high or ultra.  A 1070 struggles to give 75fps in GTA5 on ultra even in 1080p, nevermind almost doubling the pixel count by trying 1440.

GTA would get a lot more frames if you turn down MSAA. High setting are more than adequate in most games.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I am soon going to be in the market for a $300-$400 card but my options kinda suck right now.

Exactly. Your options are:

Wait until the mining craze stops (who knows when that will be)

Buy a very, very overpriced RX580/GTX 1060 (if you can even find one)

Wait longer

Buy a $200 card that won't cut it at all

Wait until CPUs are fast enough to have IGPUs that can max out 16K triple A titles

Quit gaming forever

Wait

trash options.. fuck the miners

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

Just now, Sauron said:

So... trying to make money through mining is a waste of power, but using that power to play inconsequential videogames somehow is not?

Of course not, you're entitled to entertainment as that is partially the goal of life, while mining is nothing but do constant pointless math for no gain but fake money that somehow is worth actual money now because people are somewhat crazy :P

Either ways, I think mining is stupid yes, but the whole idea of breaking people's performance on purpose to prevent mining workloads is insane unfair and idiotic at least, it is not the miners fault that AMD and nVidia sucks to keep up with stocks, PC gaming also was never meant to be "cheap" if you can't afford a graphics card buy a console instead of QQ'ing about prices 24/7 blaming other people on a forum.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

How does wanting to buy a GPU for content creation or gaming mean I am entitled? You know the two things that desktop and workstation cards are designed FROM THE GROUND UP TO DO?

But yet saying I am going to use my card 100% for 6 months before it dies from heat and now request the manufacturer to replace it for free when a person using it for gaming and content will last them 3-4 years easily is not entitled? 

I want to play games and he wants to render to support his job, yet you want to click two buttons and walk away and then demand they replace your equipment so you can make money by literally doing nothing....hah and you say we are entitled. 

doesnt matter its none of your business what anyone does with THEIR CARD

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

this by far

supply and demand

blame amd and nvidia with the aib partners for not keeping up

Id love to see you be head of AMD and Nvidia so you can "just manufacture more" as if its easy as 1,2,3. 

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

but you are assuming all miners do that, and you are wrong, their are also a lot of 1-2 card miners. and most miners scaled their investment.

first use 1 GPU use the money to get another, then 2 more, then a extra rig. If I would of scaled my invest of my gaming card I could easily have 10+ now for a basically free investment.

Im pretty sure most people are pissed off at the miners that are buying tons of GPUs, not the people who are using their card or 2 to make some spare cash. 

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I know exactly what you're talking about and I also know that your opinion is based on observing some sales numbers vs people who have commented the opposite point when talking to industry reps on the issue stating that they much rather have loyal customers than miners.

Sorry but if we're going to talk about non proper observations and conjecture based opinions, I have nothing to go on but appeals to authority and established tech youtubers that we know have contact with actual industry reps carry much more weight than random guy on the internet asserting things as true cause "he's seen people doing x"

Thats a good point, Ill take that into consideration.

Spoiler

AXIOM

37 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You know, Nvidia/AMD and graphics card manufacture can just all boost manufacturing allowing both gamer and miners to get their cards. Why would one say no to money?

Won't work. Miners will keep buying cards as they get cheaper. As more cards mine it gets harder to earn money, so you need more cards than the other miners. 

It is a self amplified issue. The only way to "fix" it is to make sure that the cards cannot run these algorithms without a driver, and forcefully make sure that consumer cards cannot be used with mining bioses. 

As for people trying to work around this. Add a monitor to the driver that checks for extremely repetitive algorithms ran over a prolonged period of time and have the driver to write a "mining suspect" value onto a special ROM cache in the silicon itself. 

For this to really be solved is for ASICs to come out for all these different types of mining or changing the cryptocurrencies to use a different mining model like POS