Finally Someone Decided To Do Something About Miners

Okay, I've seen some bitching here, and some valid points being made. Personally, I don't see how they could tell if you where using their cards for mining or not without forcing it to install spyware into your system the moment it was first powered on. However, as soon as that would be found out there would be so much bad PR about that, it may just tank the company worse then the Note 7 did to Samsung.

I myself am rather irritated at the inflated prices and lackluster supply. I'm also rather irritated by this whole Vega debacle, but that I'm waiting to see what is actually true. I'm also not afraid to be vocal about how upset I am, though you won't find me throwing it in your face. To be clear, I do not hate miners. Like Paul (Paul's Hardware), I understand that Miners have a legitimate reason for doing what they are doing. Doesn't make me happy about it, but I do.

I'll never understand why people see value in virtual fake bits given to people who do useless pointless math equations on the computer... like the entire process feels like a huge waste of computing power and electricity... if only F@H gave bits there would be a reason behind it but the way it is.... bloody pointless.

For all I care you can do whatever you want with your hardware, I just will never understand how can people actually see value in cryptocurrency... I prefer being old fashion/oldschool and just get real money from a real job...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

While I hate miners as much as the next gamer, I think this is a downright unethical move. What happened to all the support about being able to use your product as you choose, doing what you want with it. Not having companies turn down warranty because you used it in a way they didnt want you to. I dont think that this is ok for them to do.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

ahahah, lol the amount of kids crying in these forum everytime the word miner pops up. So now people have to spend their hard earned cash and not be granted pernission whatever they want with what they bought? What's next? ISP's should cap everyone out of the wazoo and Net Neutrality truly is shit  because it's their lines/band you're using?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Then who's the smart one here and who's the dumbass? 

Yeah by that sociopathic standard Ted Kaczynski was a genious. Would you be singing his praises?

-------

Current Rig

-------

19 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You know, Nvidia/AMD and graphics card manufacture can just all boost manufacturing allowing both gamer and miners to get their cards. Why would one say no to money?

It's not as simple as turning up a dial. There's a lot of different components that are required to make a graphics card, and boosting production significantly is a massive logistic headache. Not only do you have to invest in hiring more people/ buy more assembling, soldering, PCB printing machines, you have to increase supply of all the components going up the chain from the smallest resistor to the GPU die itself. And then you have the issue of yields, HMB and GDDR5X availability, and so on. 

If an AIB/AMD/Nvidia did invest the massive amounts of money required to greatly expand their capacity that way and the mining bubble went bust, they'd be stuck with a huge glut of cards they can't sell and capacity they can't use. There's simply too much uncertainty in the market right now for that kind of move, they're happy to keep their current manufacturing capacity maxed out and selling all the stock they can make. 

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

Just now, Armakar said:

has no alternatives

Because there's a worldwide shortage of 460s, 560s, 1050s and 1080ti's , right? 

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

ahahah, lol the amount of kids crying in these forum everytime the word miner pops up. So now people have to spend their hard earned cash and not be granted pernission whatever they want with what they bought? What's next? ISP's should cap everyone out of the wazoo and Net Neutrality truly is shit  because it's their lines/band you're using?

The hate for miners is basically "Stop making money so that I can play games". lol

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I am aware of other cases where the use of consumer level products in a commercial/industrial environment would be voided in warranty as they are not designed for intense operation, but the comparison doesn't fit well with a GPU. The stress loads of mining are NOT that different from normal use workloads. It isn't practical to prohibit one but not the other. The only weak argument might be that normal use is not 24/7 and mining is. Personally I think the bigger problem is cutting corners on designing on the part of the card makers. If they are getting elevated RMA rates, they should have had a better design in the first place.

The minor problem for AMD/nvidia, as opposed AIBs, is that they want to keep all markets going at the same time. Losing gamers now might result in less future potential for their ecosystem, even if they still have a unit sale for mining.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

Because there's a worldwide shortage of 460s, 560s, 1050s and 1080ti's , right? 

Yes, because everyone can afford a 1080Ti, and a 1050 gives more than enough performance for 1440p.

So your saying either for out the money for a 1080Ti to max out 1080p, or deal with lower quality graphics and lower FPS rates with a 1050?

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

18 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

And why exactly should AMD and Nvidia tell a large majority of buyers/potential buyers to fuck off? 

Because RMA rates are now through the damn roof and cos AMD and Nvidia want repeat loyal customers to get their hands on GPUs.

They don't like miners as they are typically not loyal and are typically not invested in either company.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

9 minutes ago, Armakar said:

it literally is their business when miners are costing them tons because miners destroy the cards and then RMA it..

When you get a new car/bike, you aren't suppoused to throttle it as fast as it goes. So if I buy a brand new Veyron, throttle it (and therefore break the engine) and return it, and make Bugatti pay for a new car, that's "none of their business"? Ofcourse it is, they are a business and they are losing money to idiots using the cards outside the intended purposes. My dad's 15,000$ EACH amplifiers CAN be used to play my guitar out of through daisy chaining, however if I did this i'd likely blow the amp. So is it fair if I did that, knowing it would blow the amp, then returned it to Macintosh  andmade them pay for it? No, it's not.

first off

cpu can be ran 24/7 and gpus can be ran 24/7 dont you know about gaming mining/looting/etc all over the world for online item shops

also what if I'm rendering video/etc 24/7 with my co workers

and where does it say these gpus dont have 100% duty?

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

First its inflating GPU prices for people who actually want to buy a GPU to game or for content creation.

Second is the cards are dying earlier than normal and increasing RMAs. Every RMA cost a company money then they have to increase cost to make up for it. 

This hurts everyone but the miners themselves. All this for fake currency that is wasting power

thats the nature of the beast

and its not wasting power its converting it into cash

cash to power a tool, to create some worth value

both you guys sound like you dont understand that these are tools

you arent entitled to everything

how many people use to sit in stores to try to get tickle me elmo dolls couple decades ago

same difference

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Because RMA rates are now through the damn roof and cos AMD and Nvidia want repeat loyal customers to get their hands on GPUs.

They don't like miners as they are typically not loyal and are typically not invested in either company.

Most of them invested more money in one purchase then we will in a lifetime

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

2 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Because mining is so intelligent? Are you implying the consumer is the dumbass? The only people who are powerless here is the consumer who needs graphics cards and has no alternatives. The dumbasses are partners not enforcing that miners shouldn't use these cards to mine.

a miner is a consumer.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Again this is not true of AMD that released a beta driver just to attract miners. About Nvidia I cannot say at best one way or the other but AMD wants miners and their money. They're just trying to fool stupid customers to make them think they're special with a few scrap of almost-non-existent cards on rip-off bundles.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Because mining is so intelligent? Are you implying the consumer is the dumbass? The only people who are powerless here is the consumer who needs graphics cards and has no alternatives. The dumbasses are partners not enforcing that miners shouldn't use these cards to mine.

these cards are theirs to do what they want with them

so phones shouldnt have custom roms?

you shouldnt be able to soft mod anything?

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

Most of them invested more money in one purchase then we will in a lifetime

Citation needed.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Citation needed.

Ive seen multiple people on the forums who are light miners buying 7 or 8 RX 480s/1060s. Unless you have a lot of money most of us cant afford to buy that.

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

these cards are theirs to do what they want with them

so phones shouldnt have custom roms?

you shouldnt be able to soft mod anything?

"soft mod" / rooting and literally destroying the device in months then sending it back for repair knowing it would be destroyed in the first place.

aalso, rooting inflates phone prices to double? don't think so

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

7 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

Okay, I've seen some bitching here, and some valid points being made. Personally, I don't see how they could tell if you where using their cards for mining or not without forcing it to install spyware into your system the moment it was first powered on.

Well is actually not that difficult to figure out: most flesh and bone gamers tend to die after 50 to 80 continuous hours of gaming so after logging about that much, yeah you can assume they're miners 99% of the time.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

Ive seen multiple people on the forums who are light miners buying 7 or 8 RX 480s/1060s. Unless you have a lot of money most of us cant afford to buy that.

Anecdotal evidence is not a valid citation.

-------

Current Rig

-------

18 minutes ago, Johnnyboyhogg said:

Is any miner going to to tell them they used it to mine on, I know i wouldn't 

Some people certainly would -- but probably not most, and certainly not anyone who actually wants to get a replacement. Just like I would never tell WD that I have a WD Blue in my NAS or Intel that I've overclocked my cpu. 

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

RMA rates are high/er, but thats only bad if it ends up costing more money than they make in profit off of all the extra GPU sales they make to miners, which probably isn't likely considering that the cost to manufacturer and RMA cards isn't what makes up the bulk of the cost of the card. And still, there are better ways to handle that than refusing to sell GPUs to miners

I was also referring to what OP said in his post and not what Inno3D is doing: 

34 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Maybe this is a wake up call for AMD and Nvidia to have drivers that detect when someone is mining on their cards and brick them instantly.

Also, the issue with upsetting customers is that they'll go elsewhere......well, at the end of the day, both AMD and Nvidia should piss off consumers equally and so anyone who was pissed off at AMD will switch to Nvidia and anyone who was pissed off with Nvidia will switch to AMD largely negating that issue. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I hate the fact that miners jack up prices, but come on, that doesn't give me a valid reason to hate miners themselves. At the end of the day, they are just trying to earn some cash (wouldn't we all like that?).

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

citation needed

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

so if you're not some blind fanboy all stores should close the doors to those darn customers who don't want to bow down and lick a specifc brand's boot, is that right?

9 minutes ago, Armakar said:

because everyone can afford a 1080Ti, and a 1050 gives more than enough performance for 1440p.

Then what would you use for 1440p?  A 1070?  That isn't going to cut it if you want to play any demanding game on high or ultra.  A 1070 struggles to give 75fps in GTA5 on ultra even in 1080p, nevermind almost doubling the pixel count by trying 1440.