Finally Someone Decided To Do Something About Miners

Just now, H0R53 said:

Where's my name?

You must be set to invisible mode in your profile.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

Where's my name?

Didn't you know? only pretty names make it to SS's

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

18 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Why? Because they are making money and you can't play games?

No, because they artificially inflated the market so people who actually worked hard for their money can't buy a GPU with the money they earned, instead of the lazy assholes with crazy 1070 mining rigs who didn't earn a dime of their money.

17 minutes ago, toastythomas said:

I don't know if this is all that unpopular, but miners and gamers should be treated the same by manufacturers. They are purchasing the cards for their own personal use.

Yes, BUT, the miners are not using them for their INTENDED purpose, therefore the warranty (depending on the warranty) is usually automatically void. Like using a hammer to do a saw's work, or using a lamp as a baseball bat. The manufacturer of the lamp is gonna be like "wtf, we're not replacing that"

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

What they do with them, sure. The fact I can't get a GPU for anything less than +25% MSRP because of them? Just try and tell me that's not my business.

supply and demand

dont blame the customers they are only purchasing an item

11 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

So you must be one of those miners than?

actually I dont mine

I use websites and programs to find my limited items if I really want them

Aren't amd and nvidia prepping mining cards? This just looks like a push for miners to buy those cards. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, Pohernori said:

Aren't amd and nvidia prepping mining cards? This just looks like a push for miners to buy those cards. 

Nothing really special about them though. 

Removing display connectors isn't hard, kek. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Nothing really special about them though. 

Removing display connectors isn't hard, kek. 

Its not that they are special, they will be the cards without "warranty void if mining" stickers

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

10 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I only see Dan C and Dildor. The rest are not pretty enough of names.

12 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

Yes, BUT, the miners are not using them for their INTENDED purpose, therefore the warranty (depending on the warranty) is usually automatically void. Like using a hammer to do a saw's work, or using a lamp as a baseball bat. The manufacturer of the lamp is gonna be like "wtf, we're not replacing that"

Oh yeah.... I completely agree with you here. Miners should not be able to use the manufacturer's warranty.

Remember to drink water!

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

Its not that they are special, they will be the cards without "warranty void if mining" stickers

ahh. Folding would be alright though?

1 minute ago, dexT said:

I only see Dan C and Dildor. The rest are not pretty enough of names.

:3

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

ahh. Folding would be alright though?

:3

No idea how they would decide that

A GPU is a graphics processing unit. They are not solely designed and built for gaming, only. They are compute devices. How the owner of the device chooses to use it is their own choice. 

Saying cards used for mining should be bricked (OP's suggestion) or have their warranty's voided is just pure ignorance and lack of understanding of crypto mining. Many miners undervolt and tweak the power settings so they use less power and it puts less strain on the cards. My 1070 runs at 60% power limit while mining so it's only consuming 90w instead of 150w and runs the core at a much lower clock vs stock. 

Yes, there is a problem with supply and it sucks for the pure gamers who can't get their hands on new cards, but doing this isn't going to solve that problem - it's only going to piss people off. 

How could they even tell if a card has been used for mining anyways? 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

3 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

A GPU is a graphics processing unit. They are not solely designed and built for gaming, only. They are compute devices. How the owner of the device chooses to use it is their own choice. 

Saying cards used for mining should be bricked or have their warranty's voided is just pure ignorance and lack of understanding of crypto mining. Many miners undervolt and tweak the power settings so they use less power and it puts less strain on the cards. 

Yes, there is a problem with supply and it sucks for the pure gamers who can't get their hands on new cards, but doing this isn't going to solve that problem - it's only going to piss people off. 

How could they even tell if a card has been used for mining anyways? 

well said

32 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I would like some SS.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

You know, Nvidia/AMD and graphics card manufacture can just all boost manufacturing allowing both gamer and miners to get their cards. Why would one say no to money?

Didn't that really screw AMD over with the 200 series? They overproduced and then when Litecoin mining crashed all that extra inventory of Hawaii cards got sold dirt cheap. Getting an R9 290 back then for $200 to $230 was unreal. Back in 2014 that was a 1070/1080 equivalent.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

You know, Nvidia/AMD and graphics card manufacture can just all boost manufacturing allowing both gamer and miners to get their cards. Why would one say no to money?

Because of the uncertainty of the ongoing demand I suppose? It's incredibly hard to predict if the demand from miners will be there even just 6 months from now.

Too many variables to take into consideration. Mining difficulty changes, possible asics, crypto crashing (which in itself has lots of variables, investors getting bored, bad news, etc). 

I assume if AMD/Nvidia wanted to up production, they would have to contract fabs and other factories.  Then the actual production increase would probably take place quite a while after. It would be a huge blow if by then the miner hype has gone down. Good for us as we'll have cheap cards I suppose.

28 minutes ago, pas008 said:

supply and demand

dont blame the customers they are only purchasing an item

Not true, they're purchasing multiple items at a time. Who else's fault is it? Retailers only have limited shelve space and when these customers are literally clearing out entire stores of stock its them to blame for pushing prices up.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

First its inflating GPU prices for people who actually want to buy a GPU to game or for content creation.

Second is the cards are dying earlier than normal and increasing RMAs. Every RMA cost a company money then they have to increase cost to make up for it. 

This hurts everyone but the miners themselves. All this for fake currency that is wasting power

So annoying. Generating money for doing absolutely nothing useful.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Not true, they're purchasing multiple items at a time. Who else's fault is it? Retailers only have limited shelve space and when these customers are literally clearing out entire stores of stock its them to blame for pushing prices up.

doesnt matter

still

supply and demand

7 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

They are not solely designed and built for gaming, only.

Ugh....yeah they are. Its the programs that a tweaked to make use of the GPUs resources for a different task. Same with workstation GPUS that are ment to take advantage of floating points and as a result dont work as well for gaming. 

Hell there are cards developed to purely mine and ABSOLUTELY WRECK GPUS. You know why? Because thats what they were designed to do and designed to run 24/7.

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Ugh....yeah they are. Its the programs that a tweaked to make use of the GPUs resources for a different task. Same with workstation GPUS that are ment to take advantage of floating points and as a result dont work as well for gaming. 

Hell there are cards developed to purely mine and ABSOLUTELY WRECK GPUS. You know why? Because thats what they were designed to do and designed to run 24/7.

no

movie and video playback

NVIDIA CUDA™ Technology unlocks the power of the GPU's processor cores to accelerate the most demanding tasks such as video transcoding, physics simulation, ray tracing, and more.

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

What you have too think about is each side of the equation can't directly effect the other. In other words, a guy buying 100 cards at once only affects the demand side, the manufacturer/retailers are the ones that can effect the supply side. There have been quite a few good examples of this over time, look at de beers with the diamond trade for instance.  They purposefully and artificially increased the value of diamonds for so long many people still believe they have some high intrinsic value. People eventually accept higher prices when they get used to it, if the mining craze goes on long enough, even after demand has fallen the likes of AMD and Nvidia could easily increase their profit margin by charging higher prices. 

I'm not saying they will do this, or they have plans to, just that they could. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, pas008 said:

no

movie and video playback

NVIDIA CUDA™ Technology unlocks the power of the GPU's processor cores to accelerate the most demanding tasks such as video transcoding, physics simulation, ray tracing, and more.

Again software vs hardware....know the difference