LMG's obsession with misleading graphs

H0R53

5249ae5c855bc.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Why is this a debate? 

LTT aren't attempting to show the exact full measurement of a given data point, that's not what they're using graphs for. they use them to visualize a difference in a quick, time efficient way. often the difference in bars on graphs with starting points at 0.0 in this particular context would be so small that the user wouldn't be able to determine a difference without pausing to study the graph, or without making the graph exceptionally long and narrow, only making it even harder to read from a normal sitting distance on a computer screen.

There is nothing wrong with their use of graphs, they are designed with a particular use in mind, and work in the given context. Incorrect scaling on the other hand is an entirely different point. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

5 hours ago, H0R53 said:

-snip-

lol are you running FRAPS while watching a YouTube video?

Those product vs product value graphs with curves and annotations are super confusing to me and i consider myself a smart person

not to mention you really have to pause video on each slide if you wanna read text because they go by so fast... won't kill anyone if they last more time or make more sense.

1 hour ago, Atmos said:

Why is this a debate? 

LTT aren't attempting to show the exact full measurement of a given data point, that's not what they're using graphs for. they use them to visualize a difference in a quick, time efficient way. often the difference in bars on graphs with starting points at 0.0 in this particular context would be so small that the user wouldn't be able to determine a difference without pausing to study the graph, or without making the graph exceptionally long and narrow, only making it even harder to read from a normal sitting distance on a computer screen.

There is nothing wrong with their use of graphs, they are designed with a particular use in mind, and work in the given context. Incorrect scaling on the other hand is an entirely different point. 

The graphs are poorly drawn and poorly organized, and require an actual look to understand. My IQ is above 135 (I have Asperger's so I'm a social idiot, but a genius in the workshop) and I still find the graphs annoying.

1 hour ago, NovaMan01 said:

It's not on the video, so who cares? And I always have FRAPS active, it monitors any 3D application, that includes HTML5 video players. YouTube's player overlay is rendered in 3D, which is one reason Chrome uses so much memory.

57 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Those product vs product value graphs with curves and annotations are super confusing to me and i consider myself a smart person

not to mention you really have to pause video on each slide if you wanna read text because they go by so fast... won't kill anyone if they last more time or make more sense.

Point and case.

1 hour ago, NovaMan01 said:

Please when you're quoting a gigantic reply, can't you at least spoiler it so it doesn't pollute and fill the page all too quickly?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Please when you're quoting a gigantic reply, can't you at least spoiler it so it doesn't pollute and fill the page all too quickly?

I suggest to put "-snip-" (or something like that), like I have just edit @NovaMan01 post (sorry), like this the web browser dowesn't load once again the images for those on mobile devices, or slow connection, or slow device, because Spoilers still gets the images, just tells the web browser to hide the content.

6 hours ago, H0R53 said:

That's not the point. Even if the video's paused, the graphs are still misleading.

How are those bar-graphs misleading? None of them are truncated. I"m curious as to what is misleading.

As for those last four - Those (I'm guessing) are equations based on fps per dollar (Including the remainder of the computer's build). I do understand how those can be harder to understand.

Edited by Imbellis
Edited to specify bar-graphs instead of just graphs.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Now as for how they are organized - that could be improved. Personally, I'd like it more if they kept product names static instead of organizing them by highest to lowest. It works better with a lower number of comparisons but helps viewers read it better.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Because they're not smart enough to take a statistics class. I was taught statistics in high school, but it seems like most people aren't.

6 hours ago, H0R53 said:

Well truncated graphs are bad, mmkay?

No, they have a legitimate use-case.  When showing small changes is more important than showing comparative values, that's when you use it.

That said, I see where your'e coming from in the context of this thread; there's no place for them in a comparison between the performance of two products.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 hours ago, H0R53 said:

800px-Truncated_Bar_Graph.svg.png

800px-Bar_graph.svg.png

I really can't help but look at the bottom graph and say 'Is this supposed to be evidence why UNtruncated graphs are bad?  cause that's what I feel when I look at this.'.

3 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

How are those graphs misleading? None of them are truncated. I"m curious as to what is misleading.

As for those last four - Those (I'm guessing) are equations based on fps per dollar (Including the remainder of the computer's build). I do understand how those can be harder to understand.

They're stupid.

There's nothing to tell you how exactly those graphs are determined...

* did they factor in the cost of all the components in the system or just the card?

* did they price the electricity costs over one year assuming 6-8 hours of gaming a day or the costs are ignored .. 

* what if the 7700k requires some expensive board while the ryzen can do with a a320 chipset based motherboard to get same results ?

Look at this picture below...

What does the 100% even mean?

Why do you have to underline WOULD ... is it really some important word? Why is 56 written as 56, just for the kicks? Why do you tell me that "crossing this line would mean blah blah" couldn't you just say "GTX 1070 is never a better value" and be done with it?

Do you really have to use THREE rows of text in a bubble when there's so much horizontal space there... just put an icon or something and put the text length wise, lots of space and it's easier to read and faster ... and way to go with the textured backgrounds which are a pain in the ass with video compression making text harder to read if watching the video at 480p or 720p ... just make the background of texts more opaque and more high contrast.

Who in the right mind would do a 3000$ computer with a single Vega56 or a gtx 1070 and what could a system with 1700x and a vega or gtx1070 could even have to affect this chart .. it's pointless long chart up to 3000$

where the f. are the specs of the systems or how are those curves produced?

This kind of graph doesn't help me make decisions about which card is better, it's pointless graph.

If you're afraid people will just stop watching the video if it's too long, just put the graphs with longer times AFTER the end ads and click to subscribe and all that crap.

stupid_chart.jpg.75134daf21a315730bdc209eba6bb540.jpg

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I really can't help but look at the bottom graph and say 'Is this supposed to be evidence why UNtruncated graphs are bad?  cause that's what I feel when I look at this.'.

i agree the first one is misleading true and unless you pause the video witch most people dont the quick cuts make it even more sketchy, but the second one is almost useless with out focuses in on numbers to the naked eye they look the same  

Just now, juri-han said:

i agree the first one is misleading true and unless you pause the video witch most people dont the quick cuts make it even more sketchy, but the second one is almost useless with out focuses in on numbers to the naked eye they look the same  

The first one if only misleading if you're too stupid to look at the actual numbers.

10 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

The first one if only misleading if you're too stupid to look at the actual numbers.

like i said they show each graph for about 2 seconds and if you dont pause you literally cant read all the numbers, not that it matters every vega card is soldout even the bundles lol

my post was agree with you about the second example he made being useless but to call someone stupid for not trying to pause on quick cuts is being naive, if someone asked me for a good video of a review id link them one of the 100 other ones out there not one that does rapid fire quick cuts on misleading bar-graphs 

Lol graphs.... am i the only one that skips them in a video?

if i want to read a graph, i would go to a article. 

17 minutes ago, mariushm said:

They're stupid.

There's nothing to tell you how exactly those graphs are determined...

* did they factor in the cost of all the components in the system or just the card?

* did they price the electricity costs over one year assuming 6-8 hours of gaming a day or the costs are ignored .. 

* what if the 7700k requires some expensive board while the ryzen can do with a a320 chipset based motherboard to get same results ?

Look at this picture below...

What does the 100% even mean?

Why do you have to underline WOULD ... is it really some important word? Why is 56 written as 56, just for the kicks? Why do you tell me that "crossing this line would mean blah blah" couldn't you just say "GTX 1070 is never a better value" and be done with it?

Do you really have to use THREE rows of text in a bubble when there's so much horizontal space there... just put an icon or something and put the text length wise, lots of space and it's easier to read and faster ... and way to go with the textured backgrounds which are a pain in the ass with video compression making text harder to read if watching the video at 480p or 720p ... just make the background of texts more opaque and more high contrast.

Who in the right mind would do a 3000$ computer with a single Vega56 or a gtx 1070 and what could a system with 1700x and a vega or gtx1070 could even have to affect this chart .. it's pointless long chart up to 3000$

where the f. are the specs of the systems or how are those curves produced?

This kind of graph doesn't help me make decisions about which card is better, it's pointless graph.

If you're afraid people will just stop watching the video if it's too long, just put the graphs with longer times AFTER the end ads and click to subscribe and all that crap.

This one is totally on me. I meant to specify bar graphs. I agree with you about the last four - Too many un-explained aspects(not accounted for) / not simple enough to flash by one every four seconds.

Note: I'm going to edit the previous post to specify it. Thanks.

19 minutes ago, juri-han said:

like i said they show each graph for about 2 seconds and if you dont pause you literally cant read all the numbers, not that it matters every vega card is soldout even the bundles lol

my post was agree with you about the second example he made being useless but to call someone stupid for not trying to pause on quick cuts is being naive, if someone asked me for a good video of a review id link them one of the 100 other ones out there not one that does rapid fire quick cuts on misleading bar-graphs 

Yet again - what aspect of the bar graphs are misleading?

I guess whatever floats your boat. As a consumer you should know how to read graphs that are important to you, when I see a benchmark that I am actually interested in I pause and look at the numbers, everything else I want just a glance of what's best, which is where these graphs shine, if they aren't set up that way you can't tell the difference between anything. 

3 hours ago, Imbellis said:

Yet again - what aspect of the bar graphs are misleading?

when they are done right nothing, when you keep them on screen and talk about the findings like say gamer nexus

It simply makes the differences more obvious, and if you keep within the context of the graph, you are left with a more accurate picture. For people just looking at the graphs without considering the data contained within, yeah it can be a problem, but people shouldn't be doing that, and should be ensuring they're getting all the proper information from a source before coming to a conclusion.

LMG has done nothing wrong here. I would argue that the second graph you showed is more misleading because it makes it seem like they're all the same when they're not. A truly accurate depiction of something won't try to hide subtle differences as your second graph tries to do.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Isn't the simple answer just because the misleading graphs looks a lot more appealing and is able to show viewers the difference they want to see between products rather than having a more boring graph in which viewers are going to assume that there truly is no difference between the products. 

1) Nobody should watch LTT for information. They are constantly wrong and misleading.  I think it's sad that LTT still pretends to be a legitimate source of information, because I think they are borderline doing more harm than good these days. 

2) Yes, those graphs are misleading as fuck, especially those last few ones. 

3) There is no point in critizising Linus on this forum because everyone will just do world class mental gymnastics to justify it. 

On 8/14/2017 at 3:18 PM, Atmos said:

Why is this a debate? 

That's OP's point. If the scores are so similar it's hard to tell, then it doesn't matter so much.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270