Adobe pulls the plug on Flash. RIP Flash 2000-2020

GoodBytes

Well what do you know. Apple was right and had always been right. 

But flash spawned some of the best of the internet  Like joe cartoon,  and that other one...

I see apple is having the last laugh here.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

About damn time.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Remember how Adobe declared in 2010 that Apple was a horrible satanic commie fascist for refusing to support Flash?  Remember how Google in that same year chained itself to Flash and thought a proprietary, buggy, insecure plugin was was an advantage over Apple?

Ah, memories.

For example Flash was used for simple menus that could have been easily done with some HTML and CSS, or at worst a hint of Java-Script.

bologna

that's all relative to the time frame. back then, menus in adobe flash were far better and cooler because html 5 / new css stuff just wasn't there.

flash is still amazing and it'll still be used if game dev companies feel comfortable with it. they can still package their flash app with electron or whatever. 

however, much better technologies are out there. godot engine for one is a hidden gem, and obviously html 5

f

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

...and it won't be missed. But all those popup scammers will need to come up with new tactics for their phishing crap!

11 hours ago, Commodus said:

Remember how Adobe declared in 2010 that Apple was a horrible satanic commie fascist for refusing to support Flash?  Remember how Google in that same year chained itself to Flash and thought a proprietary, buggy, insecure plugin was was an advantage over Apple?

Ah, memories.

you mean 7 years ago when things were vastly different and apples refusal to allow it on iphone was considered by many to be an arsehole move.  Yeah I remember.

10 hours ago, Fonzie92 said:

bologna

that's all relative to the time frame. back then, menus in adobe flash were far better and cooler because html 5 / new css stuff just wasn't there.

flash is still amazing and it'll still be used if game dev companies feel comfortable with it. they can still package their flash app with electron or whatever. 

however, much better technologies are out there. godot engine for one is a hidden gem, and obviously html 5

People really don't understand how times change, what happened years ago can only be judged in the context of that period, trying to judge anything from so long ago by today's standards is just crazy.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

you mean 7 years ago when things were vastly different and apples refusal to allow it on iphone was considered by many to be an arsehole move.  Yeah I remember.

People really don't understand how times change, what happened years ago can only be judged in the context of that period, trying to judge anything from so long ago by today's standards is just crazy.

you're agreeing with me right? because i'm saying flash back then was the thing to make those cool menus

Just now, Fonzie92 said:

you're agreeing with me right? because i'm saying flash back then was the thing to make those cool menus

Yes I am agreeing.  Back then flash filled a space in web development that was either clunky and/or data heavy.    I am guessing not too many members on these forums have any first hand experience from pre 2005.

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

Yes I am agreeing.  Back then flash filled a space in web development that was either clunky and/or data heavy.    I am guessing not too many members on these forums have any first hand experience from pre 2005.

oh lol, worried me for a second i was like well shit... :P

3 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Apparently YouTube killed it today.

How interesting, YouTube was built on flash. 

On 7/25/2017 at 4:34 PM, terrytek said:

fuck. i'm gonna miss it so much. i really loved flash tbh, really gonna miss it when it dies off.

Why? I haven't used it since streaming services switched to HTML5.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

On 7/25/2017 at 1:56 PM, GoodBytes said:

-snip-

GOOD!  I hate flash and its incompatibility with ad-blockers and its intense CPU usage and autoplay WITHOUT TERMINATION that stupid ass fresh-outta bootcamp/college developers put on web pages and don't quality test!  It would be nice if they made Adobe Creative Cloud non subscription too, next, though...

Edited by GoodBytes
Quote shrunked

going to miss it.

no more playing flash games in school

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

going to miss it.

no more playing flash games in school

BibleThump? 

18 minutes ago, VPrime said:

GOOD!  I hate flash and its incompatibility with ad-blockers and its intense CPU usage and autoplay WITHOUT TERMINATION that stupid ass fresh-outta bootcamp/college developers put on web pages and don't quality test!  It would be nice if they made Adobe Creative Cloud non subscription too, next, though...

Ad blockers works fine with Flash. Also, HTML5/JS would just replace Flash ads, and it can consume just as much CPU. It all depends on how things are coded.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ad blockers works fine with Flash. Also, HTML5/JS would just replace Flash ads, and it can consume just as much CPU. It all depends on how things are coded.

I've never experienced a flash ad that hasnt dropped my FPS noticeably anywhere.  HTML5 ads are iffy, but Flash always slows me down, and I've got a decently beefy system.

That will be one less thing I'm gonna have to install and keep updating all the time.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

That will be one less thing I'm gonna have to install and keep updating all the time.

Flash does seem to have frequent updates doesn't it?