No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

Keep the unboxings, I don't know why but when I see a unboxing of a product, I feel more inclined to buy it. But if you don't want then I'm fine. Also, you say that no unboxings will mean higher quality videos, but your videos are one of the highest of any reviewer on Youtube imo. I say keep unboxings. Maybe you can do a trial for 2 weeks maybe and see if people like it.

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

In my personal opinion i think unboxings were great at the beginning but now you developed into a media company in the hardware world, i think you should focus on hardware reviews but more focused in to performance and components than into gadgets. Try to introduce it into de WAN show make it part of the daily ones. That way you will save money and time and we will enjoy it aswell or more.

Thank you for asking to your followers. That was very kind Linus.

with me whoever, ahead who can

Unboxings are very usefull if you want to learn more about a specific product, but on the other hand it's not because they are not compared to alternative products within the same video. It might be a good idea to line up a group of products that are in the same categorie (Price, value, features, etc.) 'unbox' them, walk through each products' features and than make a comparison between them. This way people get a clear view on the pro's en con's between products and will be able to make a decission to buy.

How does that sound?

one of the only reasons i subbed you was because of unboxing

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

No. Please keep the unboxings.

There are lots of products that I have never heard before that you've introduced to me through unboxing.

The brief overview is very informational and certainly much more interesting than something like an article. As a person that doesn't have much time to browse the news and rumors on new tech product releases, you bring me unique products that I have never heard before.

I know there are other sources of information, but I prefer this.

The unboxings doesn't have to be that long and does not require an in depth review, but I do enjoy and rely on your channel as a source of new and fresh products.

So please, keep the unboxings.

I wouldn't abandon unboxings completely, just cut down on them. I would personally love to here your opinion on more audio products.

Just do whatever makes you happy! Sure we watch you, but you still have to enjoy it.

It's a double edge'd sword.

Unboxing is how I got my interest for you, because you were very down to earth. But I would love to see some more in-depth reviews aswell.

I personally really like your case unboxxings, not to long and not insanely detailed. But more then good enough information and little details that I would not think off instantly. I useally go to the manufactoring their website during your unboxxings.  

Maybe cut off netlinked weekly? Cut off a few unboxxings. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

It's all about how you organize the data. Your current unboxing and reviews contain a lot of subjective material. If you create a greater divide between your opinions and the facts you could keep both while improving your overall delivery.  For example, you could compile the product information (specifications, manufacture claims, etc.) into a splash page during the unboxing of the item. An unboxing really doesn't require any more than telling viewers what's in the box. With objective information there really isn't a lot to tell. So, I figure an unboxing and overview shouldn't exceed anymore than 1 minute, depending on the product of course.

Now, as far as your opinions go, that's why most of us are here. We trust your opinions. But, you ramble. Remember, keep moving the ball forward. If you're going to tell us the good and bad about a product tell us one and then the other. Interlacing the two really kills the flow of your presentation. It's like sailing a boat down a river and exploring every branching stream along the way. You've got to paddle back to the river to continue progress toward your goal.

There are many other factors to consider but if you rethink and reorganize your deliver of information, I think you can continue to do unboxings, overviews, and reviews while reducing your video length and production time. Bold claim, I know, but in my profession organization of information is the key to great deliver, and I present 4.8 hours of information every day.

Available for hire :)

Member 4250

I dont think you should abandon unboxings  completely but doing less of them so u could do more and better reviews i think would be better for a lot of people More then a unboxing dose not to mention there is a bunch of others out there that do unboxings.  

I like the idea of combining unboxings with the more in-depth review, even if it means less content on a day-to-day basis.

Gaming Rig - CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | COOLER: Stock | MOBO: Gigabye Z87 Gaming | GPU: Gigabye Geforce GTX 980 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB (16GB) 

I completely agree that you want to do more in depth reviews (I've always hoped you would) but you shouldn't abandon unboxings completely but more try to combine the two. I know this may seem like a pain in the arse as you would need to film twice but there is great value to unboxings (for some products) that you may not realise.

Firstly they are completely unscripted so it brings out the natural comedian in you. Secondly you're learning about the product while we are watching the video so I feel it creates an interaction with the audience and this makes unboxings special. I completely understand that there are certain products where its "box, product, drivers" and you say "well that's the product and throw the drivers cd away". But then there are others where you go reading through things on camera and go "oh that's cool, bla bla bla X, Y and Z".  These are the things that have peaked your interest and made that video have a bit more of the "personal touch". It would be cool to see a follow on portion (in depth review) where you talk about those things that peaked your interest and see if its actually worth a damn or if it was just a marketing gimmick.

I can completely understand if this isn't feasible due to amount of filming and complexity but it would be really cool it it was. If I had to vote between Linus's first impression or Linus's indepth review, I would vote for the indepth review.

And cheers for all the hard work you and the team put in. :)

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

We're all here for Linus' opinion and review on the products but what if he did a list of dot points on what his thoughts are and get someone like Luke to do the review videos? I'm sure all the Linus media group staff are switched on enough to know what to say about a product and it would be awesome to see more of them in the videos

When I did a new build this summer I found the case and power supply unboxings very  helpful because I knew what I would get before I ordered it. That was very important for my because I power supply needed to have the right amount of cables with molex and sata so I wouldn't have a problem. The official data says always how much in total but never how it's split up. So I goggled quite a lot but the only place I found that information was your unboxing. (THANKS by the way!)

TLDR:

My opinion: keep the unboxing for cases, PS, ... and take the time to do some good reviews on other stuff, like phones, headphones, ... I also like the small combos with the impressions part from Luke

Regardless of what you choose, you will still have your followers/viewers Linus

ask yourself if YOU are tired of just unboxings

and food for thought...imagine how many less questions of "what's your opinion of _____". imagine how much more discussion and less answering on WAN shows if you didn't have to keep answering "I recommend ___"

You can't even take the time to correct the mistake in your post so your opinion will be disregarded.  Seriously to have Linus Tech Tips with no unboxings would be ridiculous.

Since when do you have the rights to say who is or isnt going to be disregarded because of one typo. I don't think I ever said anything negative to you, so unless you want to start bullshit like you did on the NCIX forums with a lot of people, you should chill on these kind of remarks.

Also it wouldn't be ridiculous. A lot of people seem to think it would be ok. Change is hard to accept sometimes but it is worth trying.

What i really like about unboxings is they're fast and quick to watch, and do a really good job of showing, quite literally, what you get when you buy 'this' product, right out of the box.

While they don't offer the same usability information, specs proofs, etc., they have their advantages.

IF anything, keep unboxings of cases. Those are incredibly useful. They give a view of the features/physical scale of the product much better than any other type of review could.

I love your unboxings dude! Keep the coming! it is like a staple of your channel :)

I think, that you should keep on making unboxings but just do them vlog style and in post just cut it and add your intro/outro, and then just upload it.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Long time YouTube Subscriber.

I think the best bit about your channel, is that everyday, there is a new product video out, that i can have a look at and sus out. If you were to focus on reviews and more in-depth tech coverage, i think that it shouldn't be at the detriment of your unboxings.

I'm new to the forums, but I've been watching videos for quite some time now and I love all the content you put out. 

I like the way you do your videos now. You cover a wide range of parts and give your thoughts on them and I love to see that; especially with graphics cards. With that, I think you should continue to do that with them; however with motherboards, I think it would be easiest for you to cover the top tier products/chip sets with videos and maybe just do write ups on the other ones. For processors, maybe just cover the Core i5 (or equivalent), since you focus heavily on the gaming aspect.

I would really like to see more in-depth reviews, though. Build a rig in a certain price point and spend a week or two using it and give us your thoughts on it? I think that would be very cool to see and you could give more than just an initial impression or benchmark. You could get a really good feel for the system as a whole.

I may be wrong with all of that. Whatever you decide to do, I know that with the effort you guys put into your content as a team will be great and I will continue to watch. I plan on becoming a part of the forum as well. Thanks for your videos and hard work!

"The greatest danger is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." -Michelangelo

I really like unboxings because that's why i started watching. Whenever i'm thinking about buying a product I just go to your channel first. I won't be offended or unsubscribe, but i'll probably watch a bit less

May the Force be with you.

I would probably go for a large decrease in unboxing rather than abandon it all together, that way the more new and interesting products can still be displayed rather than anything everyone requests including your cat. 

i.e. things like the Shadow rock, pebble, O2 can be unboxed and things like cases, graphics cards, keyboards, hard drives etc. can be ignored. 

I have to agree. This would probably be the best option.

As one of the few female members, I would be disappointed.  I learn a lot from the first look and unboxings.  I have a few friends that love to watch and see if they would actually like to buy the product that you review.    Although, it would be great if you unboxed more computer stuff than phones.  You need to stay with what made you a success - 1.  first look and unboxings and 2.  reviews/overview of products and use. 

I hope you don't stop and remember why people subscribe to you in the first place. 

I like the unboxings because in the older videos you would find all sorts of things to show the actual scale of the object, which I find really helpful.  I would be fine with less though, especially if it stops dem WAN show delays ;D