No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

I tried to formulate my thoughts on this earlier but StitchMonkey is spot on.

Why thank you. 

Intel Core i5 2400 - Corsair Vengeance 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24 - four strips) - ASUS P8Z68-V LE - GeForce GTX 660 Ti (MSI Power Edition) - 60GB Corsair Force 3 Boot drive with 2.5TB in a random nightmare of a configuration

First of all, I created this account to specifically reply to this thread :) I should of been on here months ago, except for some odd reason it was blocked in NZ so I couldn't get on without a vpn, HotSpot Shield ;)

Anyway, I really enjoy your unboxings, especially unique things like the clothing items that you unboxed and keyboards and mice etc... I do think that the unboxings are becoming a little stale but that is because the unboxings are repetitive, companies aren't changing the way they package video cards yet that is probably your primary unboxing topic. I really enjoy your more unique unboxings and I actually bought a corsair K70 off your unboxing.

My first suggestion would be to stop unboxing mainstream technology items such as gpu's, cpu's, mob's, phones etc and focus on more glamour or unique parts of the tech world that people genuinely may not of heard of.

My second suggestion, make an unboxing section on the wan show in much a way that you have done them in the past. Keep it casual and make it a fun experience. One of my fondest memories of the wan show was the after party when you and slick received all of those items in the male for your office. That was truly entertaining and I really enjoyed it.

Anyway, thats just my 10 cents worth and I hope to see change in the future for LTT but in a positive manner that sees improvements all around on the channel.

NO I really like your unboxings

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

I'm cool with it.

TBH unboxings were really only interesting when the manufacturer doesn't state exactly what's in the box. More detail and longer content is always appreciated.

I like a video that can last me through a coffee.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

I like unboxings but I wouldnt mind if they were gone. I watch pretty much evey videos you do ... so.

Linus, I hope you've read this far into the replies!

I think a lot of subscribers, including myself, subscribed because of the unboxings. Please don't remove them completely. I read a lot of people saying that for items like CPUs and GPUs they serve no purpose. I agree for CPUs, however for aftermarket cooled video cards, a video says a lot more than specs. If unboxings are easier to produce, some items warrant an unboxing, and while on the subject, the b-roll shots of the product detract from your 'classic' style of unboxing, especially on the occasion when you are mentioning a part and likely pointing at it, but the video is of a slow pan across some part of the item. I enjoy the new style for some items, but the artistic style of filming doesn't work for me when I want to know what the thing looks like! I digress...

As long as we still receive timely videos about new items and product launches, I'll still watch every day. I think motherboards, cases, video cards, and peripherals deserve unboxings, and some of those items can have a further review video.

I believe it would be in your best interest to have a video on most new products, high end to mid range, since your videos will appear in search results more often, no matter the product being searched for. For really interesting products, make a further review video.

I just thought of this - I would also be very happy with live unboxings during the WAN show (to maintain the fun unprofessional aspect) - you could even be doing it while Slick/Luke is talking about something else, and mention the interesting things included in the box, if there is something surprising included, then a quick first impression, and move on to something else. This segment could be cut out and posted on its own as an unboxing if you felt it warranted, and also include b-roll footage, again, if warranted. There might be some overlap with another topic that might be partly cut off, which may also drive views to the complete WAN show.

I wouldn't mind seeing the quality over quantity that everyone is talking about, but I'm pretty sure you should still do unboxings for major items like graphics cards, major mobos, etc, and even the occasional funny unboxing of a product that is not really major, but would just make for a funny video, I really enjoy those.

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro

In addition to my earlier post, I'd like to agree with others here about what is good for unboxings.  Stuff like Cases are really good for it, and then stuff like CPU's dont really belong

PC Specs: MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition -- Corsair Carbide Air 540

2x Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 -- Corsair H100i Watercooler -- EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 PSU

i7 5820k @ 4.5Ghz -- 16GB Mushkin DDR4 2800Mhz -- 128GB Mushkin SSD + 120GB Kingston HyperX -- 3TB Seagate Barracuda

Personally the unboxings aren't really all that interesting. I'm more interested in your experiences of the product and how well it does it's job. I couldn't care less how much time the manufacturer puts into packaging and aesthetics of the box - I want an unbiased review of a product and it's features. Just my $0.02.

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550

I dont think you should completely abandon the idea of unboxings, but just not make them into single videos. Include a portion of the unboxing in review videos, perhaps as b-roll footage while going over specifications and details.

Yeah, that would be a good compromise. 

it's too bad noctua industrial fans are SO expensive

I dont think that you should remove ALL unboxings from the channel. Maybe do some of the more unboxings on bigger items (such as a new gpu or case). I definitely agree on making a review video but also including what came into the box. 

My build: i5 3570k , Sabertooth Z77, Be quiet Dark Rock 2, Corsair vengeance 16 gb ram, Corsair RM 750, WD Black 1TB , ADATA 256 GB SSD, Asus 660ti DCUII, NZXT H440, Noctua NF-F12 & NF-A14.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

I think that rather than stop unboxings, why not shorten the unboxings some more and add the review to them? I like the unboxings because it gives me a sense of what the product actually looks like and i like the personal input you provide. I saw that some of the people suggested less unboxings and im ok with that too but ultimately, I think the majority of us will go with whatever you choose to do because of all the help that you've provided us with your videos so far.

I7-4770k 4.7Ghz 1.35v | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16GB Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz | 2x GTX Titan SLI

Custom Water Loop | Corsair AXi 1200w | Intel 530 series 240GB SSD | 1TB WD Black

Corsair Obsidian 900D | Sennheiser 558 | Ducky Shine Zero Cherry MX Brown w/ Orange Backlight | Func MS-3 | Dell U2141H x3

Keep the unboxings, I like when you mess up during a video, it makes the unboxing special, otherwise you'd be a robot. I always watch your unboxings because there is humor AND information 

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just do unboxings of peculiar hardware. I mean, after a while, all graphics cards and motherboards start to look the same. But I liked the unboxing of the portable SSD, the samsung's gear, etc

Linus, I honestly think this is a good idea, at least more actual reviews. One thing with the unboxings is that I am always left wanting more information. Its good seeing the "specs" so to speak of the product, but when it comes to actual real life impressions, its lacking in my opinion, and I always find myself looking for more videos, or more information elsewhere.

Include a quick and fun unboxing when you review more in depths your products

In my opinion you should not stop the unboxings, but it's ok if you reduce the amount of unboxings, I really enjoy seeing what will come along with the product and everything else Sometimes i'll even be interested in how it will be packed, since, here in brazil the shipping threatment and transportation isn't exactly first class ... or second... nor third...

Also i have fun with the little jokes made along the unboxing like the shouting "BE QUIET!" wich in a more serious and straight-to-the-point video, probably wouldn't be the same!

And in some unboxings you have shown things that i had no idea they existed, such as the ModMic, that I use a lot nowadays, Try to keep at least these one's up! Really enjoy the different, new and useful (or just a fun) things!

|CPU : Core i7 4770 (non-K :( ) | GPU : XFX RX 480 GTR 8GB @ 1385Mhz | MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 | PSU: XFX 850W PRO | Case: In-Progress Silverstone TJ-07 |

Zenfone 2 ZE551ml 32GB + 64GB SD - Rooted LineageOS |

Maybe do less unboxings??? I really don't the idea of abandoning them completely because I love the way that you do them. I would say keep the unboxings but do them less frequently and only do them for very new and compelling products. However I like the idea of quality over quantity. 

Don't completely abandon them, you could either play the footage while you're talking about the specs of a product, or just go over in detail what comes in the box while you're giving your review. I wouldn't abandon them though Linus, especially when new GPUs launch, people ALWAYS love to see what's inside the box. That's some easy hits right there :P

You could also unbox 'key products' like monitors, cases, processors or graphics cards. Focus less on the smaller stuff (I mean you DID unbox a corsair desk mat before....that was kind of pointless :P)

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

I think you should reduce the amount of unboxings, to only the important stuff such as big grahics card releases or otherwise. This would allow you to increase the other videos. I like your first impressions, and although there are plenty of others who do unboxings, yours are I guess the best! So you shouldn't go and get rid of your unboxings just reduce them quite a bit! I like a good balance between quality and quantity! And I believe this would perfecly achieve that! Thanks for all your hard work linusmediagroup, and whatever decision you make I know will be in everyone's best interest :)

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

I like unboxings but I wouldnt mind if they were gone. I watch pretty much evey videos you do ... so.

You can't even take the time to correct the mistake in your post so your opinion will be disregarded.  Seriously to have Linus Tech Tips with no unboxings would be ridiculous.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXQYyKzyDaE

Now I expressed my views on this clearly but Linus watch the video above and think about what you want to do.

The video above is for the song It's My Life and it is the real version by Talk Talk.  Do what you want to do with your life Linus or you will not be happy and while that may lose you viewers including me it may be what you need to do.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I like the format you have been following in some of your latest videos where you do a short unboxing followed by an overview on the product the emphasis on the video is more heavily focused on the overview than the unboxing.